Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood NOT available in California….

Options
2»

Comments

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Will this let me post now?    I see others are having similar problems.   

I just looked at a RO bag and NO mention of prop65, just a generic Carbon Monoxide warning.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If it meets CA standards, then that's all it needs.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Living as close as I do to the People's Republik of Kalifornia, and having had two much older half-brothers live out their lives there, I don't look for much common sense in anything that comes out of their state legislation.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Greedygoat
    Greedygoat Posts: 134
    Options
    Just placed an order yesterday for 100 ponds of Rockwood from Firecraft.com and received an email this morning that said it was backordered with an estimated in stock date of 6/9/15.  Seems Rockwood is doing just fine without CA.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If it meets CA standards, then that's all it needs.

That's not correct......unless the charcoal does not emit carbon monoxide when burned.  It unfortunately needs the warning just like everyone elses.

@Begger Take a look on the gusset up near the closing tape.  Some manufactures put it up there.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Just placed an order yesterday for 100 ponds of Rockwood from Firecraft.com and received an email this morning that said it was backordered with an estimated in stock date of 6/9/15.  Seems Rockwood is doing just fine without CA.

Shouldn't be that long.......the truck is on I-70 just east of Pittsburgh, delivery should arrive tomorrow morning.
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    Begger said:
    I just looked at a RO bag and NO mention of prop65, just a generic Carbon Monoxide warning.
    I also looked at a Royal Oak bag purchased in California and did not see any Prop 65 warning. I checked an online picture of a Rockwood bag and it has the same carbon monoxide warning as the Royal Oak.

Does the Prop 65 warning have to be added only if it is shipped rather than purchased in a store?
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @stlcharcoal, it's nice having you on the forum to answer questions and let people know when lump is coming there way.  I also like that you supply my dealer Kansas City BBQ Source with Lump and I can always count on it being there.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Greedygoat
    Greedygoat Posts: 134
    Options

Shouldn't be that long.......the truck is on I-70 just east of Pittsburgh, delivery should arrive tomorrow morning.
     :) 
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Living as close as I do to the People's Republik of Kalifornia, and having had two much older half-brothers live out their lives there, I don't look for much common sense in anything that comes out of their state legislation.
    As mentioned, it is not actual legislation that California lawmakers passed.  It is a law that was enacted due to a ballot initiative that was approved by a majority of California voters.

Now people may be saying that is absolutely ridiculous to give the public the ability to enact laws by simple majority vote, that responsibility is better left to the legislature, but I doubt that.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Prop65 was passed by ballot initiative in 1986. The citizens of California wanted such legislation.
    That doesn't in anyway make a stupid law right.  Democracy will only last until the poor figure out they can vote to themselves the wealth of the rich.  
    In DC, they voted by  75% to allow weed.  Here's a tip, if just one of those that partake be required to fill the little cup for their GOV'T job and fail, they will still be fired - regardless of the "wants of the people".  
  • stlcharcoal
    edited June 2015
    Options
    GatoGordo said:
    Begger said:
    I also looked at a Royal Oak bag purchased in California and did not see any Prop 65 warning. I checked an online picture of a Rockwood bag and it has the same carbon monoxide warning as the Royal Oak.

Does the Prop 65 warning have to be added only if it is shipped rather than purchased in a store?

Every bag I've ever seen has it on the left gusset, in the fold, within an inch of the closing tape.  You have to open the bag by the tape to see it.  Some other companies put it on the back.

Doesn't matter how it gets there, if it's available for sale to consumers in the state, it has to be there.......unless the law has changed in the last 2 yrs. 

The big carbon monoxide label is required by the CPSC nationwide.  It has to be EXACTLY like that, on both sides, the upper 25%, two inches below the seam, one inch above any writing or graphics, in a sharply contrasting color, and then the lettering has to be a certain ratio.  This updated label has been mandated since 1997, but there are a few companies that still use the old one, have it only on one side, have it on the bottom, or just put a random warning on there.  I've even seen completely blank bags--state's dept of weights & measures would go after them if they go caught.

Lots of rules here guys.  And let's not get into barcoding ......I can put you to sleep with all the standards on barcodes.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    @stlcharcoal, it's nice having you on the forum to answer questions and let people know when lump is coming there way.  I also like that you supply my dealer Kansas City BBQ Source with Lump and I can always count on it being there.  

You have a great dealer in KC.  Luckily, we can ship to him at 3pm and he has it the next morning. 
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    In California you also need to print in red letters 2 inches high:

DANGER!  CHARCOAL IS HOT WHEN IGNITED AND CAN CAUSE SEVERE BURNS!  DO NOT HANDLE OR INGEST LIT CHARCOAL!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options

This reminds of the Santa Claus tracker on Christmas Eve.
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options

Every bag I've ever seen has it on the left gusset, in the fold, within an inch of the closing tape.  You have to open the bag by the tape to see it.  Some other companies put it on the back.

You are correct. I found it on the right side at the top. It is just the warning and no mention of Proposition 65.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I gave up on getting Rockwood here in CA and just use Hasty Bake from Amazon.  I get tired of saying how Californicated this place is on everything from bullet trains to you name it.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    As a California resident, I am not too keen on the Proposition system. Ideally, it's great. Any group can put a Proposition on the ballot if they get enough signatures on a petition. The problem is that a lot of these Propositions are poorly written, and a good number of them are unconstitutional. Another problem is that there are a lot of corporations and special interest groups that create these Props as well, and disguise what the real purpose behind them really is. It's not our legislators who pass them. Its the voters.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Following instructions, I DID look up at the gusset end near the 'zipper' of my RO.   One side was a satisfaction guarantee proviso and the other side was some info about the company / address.
    No mention of prop65.  
    Bag also has American Flag which I presume means this is US made / sourced lump.  
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    How about a compliance sticker slapped on bags destined for CA?  Don't mean to stick my problem-solving nose into anyone else's business, but this just seems fixable in a way that would benefit everyone. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I don't fault @stlcharcoal for not wanting to deal with the legalities of shipping to CA, and there are still good lumps that do ship to CA.

I think it's much ado about nothing. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    If you can sell 100% of your production out without dealing with CA, then why bother.  Of course it can be solved, but it doesn't need to be.