Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice

Hunter1881
Hunter1881 Posts: 406
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
Have had an underbite for a long time. It has became worse. Now it is leaking smoke. I have watched videos on you tube to adjust. It lasts about 5 minutes until i cook over 450. I have already cut and added washers on the back but that didnt help. Anyone here have any recommendations?
Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)

Comments

• Hunter1881
    Tried to post a video but couldn't. Just took a screenshot of video. Can't tell much by that picture but seems to be leaking quite a bit to me. It's also in 2 spots
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    How old is your egg? Not sure how long bands are warranted, but try to get new ones instead of adjusting. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Hunter1881
    I have had it less than a year. Or right ag a year. I was going to go to dealer and show home video of smoke coming out. I went to them with underbite before and they couldn't tell me how to fix it. But looking at it I think it is the hinge and not a band problem. But I could definately be wrong.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The replacement dome they sent me has a worse underbite after it was installed than the other one. I want to try and fix it, but I am worried that this will never be right on the XL. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hunter1881
    @WeberWho? I have used that video. And I can adjust and get it to where it was originally. And then as soon as I cook above about 450 it just goes right back. I can't figure out the problem. Was hoping someone else had the same problem and could give me insight.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    When you are retightening the bolts you should have some one else putting pressure on the dome down to the base. Maybe that will help you get it tightened to the right spot with very little play.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2015
    Can you adjust it where you have an overbite and have it self correct? I also agree with Scott's statement above.  Two pairs of hands might help
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hunter1881
    @Scottborasjr thanks. I will try that. @WeberWho? I don't know if I can but I don't see why I couldn't.  WIll try that too. Thanks
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I had the same problem earlier this year and it wasn't the bands.  Look at the the bolts that attach the hing to the egg.  They are slotted and probably have moved with the egg getting hot and cooling down.  That's what happened to mine.  My dealer told me to remove the springs when the lid is open, then carefully close the lid.  Loosen the nuts with the slots and pull the lid back into position.  Tighten the nuts back up and reattach the springs.  I can take pictures of what I am talking about when I get home later if that would help.  This fixed my under bite. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited June 2015
    When I bought my third Egg the dealer assembled it for me and he told me the dome that originally shipped with the Egg was out of round and was 3/8" different in size than the lower half. He had tried for nearly an hour to get rid of the underbite. He finally took out his tape measure and found the dome was not perfectly circular. It might be worth measuring the two pieces. If it was like mine nothing you could do would ever fix that issue. The dealer tried a different dome and it worked perfectly.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    When you are retightening the bolts you should have some one else putting pressure on the dome down to the base. Maybe that will help you get it tightened to the right spot with very little play.
    Loosen everything, line up dome, use a ratchet strap thru the vents and under the handle to hold it on place and tighten it back up. This is what finally worked for me. It's gone back just a fraction, but still in good shape. 
  • Hunter1881
    @Ladeback69 I think I know what u are talking about. I will look later and make sure. One question though. Is there a trick to removing the spring? And thanks
  • Hunter1881
    @jfm0830 I haven't measured. Am about to remove gasket to apply Rutland. So I will check it then. But when I loosen the bands and move the done it looks ok 
  • Hunter1881
    @theyolksonyou thanks. That may be easier to me than having SWMBO sitting on top of my egg lol
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @Ladeback69 I think I know what u are talking about. I will look later and make sure. One question though. Is there a trick to removing the spring? And thanks
    Kind of.  They told me to remove the rubber caps then just slide them out.  It worked on one, but not the other.  I have an XL and I just removed the bolt that was holding it in place and put it back the same way.  That seemed to be easier to me.  Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • My dealer spoke to the distributor about it and they gave me a new set of bands. He told me that's their standard fix when you complain that you have an underbite leaking smoke. The leakage is the trigger for giving you new bands -- if there's no leakage, they tell you it's nothing to be concerned about.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• Hunter1881
    @Class_of_75  thanks. Thanks Going to talk to my dealer before work tomorrow.