Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

COMPLETELY OT - Your Favorite Bourbon

Options
Just curious how many other bourbon fans are out there, and their distillation of choice for sipping, not cooking. Lol

Blanton's or Bulleit 10 Year Old for me, please. :-)

Comments

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Belle Meade or Woodford
  • Bbquru
    Bbquru Posts: 22
    Options
    Huge fan of four roses single barrel. Here's the latest shelf shot
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Bakers or Bookers. May be revised after my Bourbon Trail trip next weekend. =)
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    Options
    Rittenhouse, Weller 12, Four Roses, Bookers
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Here is a nice menu I saw last night if I can figure out the pic. From The Pour House in Nashville
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Elmer T Lee, Elijah Craig barrel proof, Black Maple Hill.
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    Eagle rare is my go to right now.  Makers is a solid standby.  Weller, George t stagg, or pappy if I can get it.  
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Bourbon, or any alcohol for that matter, is never OT!  :)
    Austin, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Chowman .... from or visiting nashville?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Basil Hayden.

Being from Kentucky and having been blessed, by God, with the variety of great bourbon produced here, it is difficult to select just one, but, Basil Hayden, for me, stands out.  

One cube of ice, only
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Too many good choices depending on mood and how I'm drinking it.

For sipping neat or with a cube my cabinet usually has some collection of Basil Hayden, Woodford, Elijah 12, Russell 10, Bulleit 10, Four Roses small batch or single barrel and my local fave Garrison Bros.

I usually have Bulleit and Bulleit rye on hand for mixing.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Basil Hayden.

Being from Kentucky and having been blessed, by God, with the variety of great bourbon produced here, it is difficult to select just one, but, Basil Hayden, for me, stands out.  

One cube of ice, only
    I love KY bourbon. 

If god is blessing Kentucky with great bourbon, why have his followers created dry counties?  Maybe the devil makes the great bourbon, or the followers are influenced by the devil.  Just don't make no sense.
    Options
    This is what I have been drinking lately.  I need to branch out more and try others.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2015
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Basil Hayden.

One cube of ice, only
    I love KY bourbon. 

If god is blessing Kentucky with great bourbon, why have his followers created dry counties?  Maybe the devil makes the great bourbon, or the followers are influenced by the devil.  Just don't make no sense.
    The dry county issue is mostly supported by evangelists and bootleggers. If the minions of the church spend money on cigarettes, bourbon and fine, but loose women of questionable character, less money shows up in the collection plate, Amen.

If the county suddenly votes for alcohol sales to be legal, there goes the "over the top" profits bootleggers make, and the kickbacks to the local gendarme that allow them to operate.
    If anyone thinks all the people in dry counties have their homes void of alcohol, I have a marvelous, 2 bed, 3 bath home with a spectacular view of the ocean, off the beach, right next to the Golden Gate Bridge in Iowa, I would love to sell you for a bargain price.

The Ingredients are all natural, it is what the current species in charge chooses to do with it. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    I have been big on Michter's Rye lately.  It took me damn near 4 years to find it outside KY, but we have it here now.  Also keep Four Roses, Bulleit, Blanton's, and sometimes Woodford around for variety.  And I'm a fan on Angel's Envy.  Been trying to taste a lot of the local ones that are popping up here in Oregon.  SWMBO just brought be a bottle of bourbon from Oregon Spirit Distillers, but I haven't got a chance to try it yet.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    im from TN and my wife is from KY so we do love some bourbon/whiskey.  in saying that short of rock gut i havent found too many i dont care for.  some faves are buffalo trace, woodford, weller, etc
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    while i like most bourbon, give me rye. bourbon sits on the shelf til the handle of rye goes dry =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I'm partial to Woodford.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Tenderizer
    Tenderizer Posts: 24
    Options
    Elmer T Lee is a fav, as well as Blantons. The boys over at Whiskey Advocate magazine use Wild Turkey 101 for their daily drink..Very underrated and cheap. Fantastic daily drink. Now I'm parched..

My third child smokes a lot, weights 216 lbs and is greenish...He's my favorite..
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I really like Woodford Double Oaked and Jefferson Reserve, will usually load up when visiting my folks, whichever the NH Liquor Store has on sale.  Have also had Jefferson Presidential, but if I'm going to drop $100+ on whiskey I'd probably go to Lock, Stock & Barrel Rye.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Maker's 46 and Four Roses Single Barrel are my regular faves. When I can find it give me Weller 12 or Pappy 15 year (the best of all the pappies)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    I drink Wild Turkey (101 and Rare Breed) pretty regularly.  Also, Buffalo Trace and 1792.  

Occasionally I go cheap and drink Bonded Heaven Hill or Bonded Evan Williams.  If you are going to go with a budget bottle, 100 proof usually MUCH better than the budget 80 pfs.  
  • K_Rock
    K_Rock Posts: 16
    Options
    Have to agree with Basil Hayden's as my go to although I would never turn down a dram of most that have been mentioned either!

if you're looking for something a little different that goes great with BBQ, I'd also recommend Corsair Triple Smoked Bourbon. They're a small batch distiller out of Bowling Green and Nashville so I'm not too sure how available their product is across the U.S. but man - you'd think you were eating some great BBQ when sipping their bourbon!
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Right now I have been enjoying the Four Roses Small Batch, Bulleit is a close second and I just picked up a bottle of W.L Weller that I have not tried yet (very inexpensive) and has gotten good reviews.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I drink McAfee Benchmark by the handle...it's good and "economical".   When I get fancy I go for Woodford Reserve or Pappy
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Evan Williams Black Label - economical and I love it.  It's on most lists of best value bourbons.   I actually prefer it over high dollar bourbons for mixing. 
    Options
    »Four Roses Single Barrel & Small Batch. 
    »»Aged Elijah Craig
    »»»George Dickel Barrel Select and Rye
    »»»»In a pinch (many moons ago was my cheap go-to) Crown Royal original recipe....use it occasionally for glazes too
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    My vote is for either Four Roses Single Barrel or Knob Creek.  Blanton's is alright, just not worth the price IMO.

Never been lucky enough to find some Pappy's or other Buffalo Trace antique.  Last year I put myself on a waiting list for the next release which usually comes in November.  There were already 30 people ahead of me.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I am doing the Bourbon Trail next weekend. Anyone know any "must haves" that I should try while down there, which are pretty much local only?
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA