Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Canadians and FOGO lump

Options
I have just put in an order for two bags of FOGO from amazon.ca and it is showing that it is sold and shipped from amazon.  I am praying they process this and ship it because they used to sell it but stopped because, they told me, it is a dangerous good so they couldn't ship it any more.  For those of us in Saskatchewan where lump variety is non-existant this is a blessing.  It is not as cheap as it once was but I'm excited to use it along with maple leaf.  I will update if it ships.

Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Last bag I had was good, but did have some that was not carbonized. Good price, given the value of the Loonie. I tried a couple of bags of Kebroak (40#) for $40 from Amazon, one bag was pristine, the other not so much. Brown Santa brought some Quebracho today, will see how it looks. Best bet for us here on teh left coast is Basques for $18 at Lowe's. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You won't find any better than Maple Leaf

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I use Basques Sugar Maple and am completely satisfied. I will try to try Maple Leaf and compare. 
    GWN
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I only managed to get one bag of FOGO the last time amazon.ca sold it and I think it had one piece that wasn't totally carbonized.  I really liked using it so I will forgive that one piece.  I have had some non-carbonized lump in my maple leaf bags as well.

I really like Maple Leaf, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for another brand in my life.  The bags of Maple Leaf I get usually has a ton of small quarter sized pieces in it, so it would be nice to use the FOGO as the base and the Maple Leaf as mid and top level. 
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I just ordered 2 of the Quebracho and one Kebroak. I hae had the latter previously and I liked it. Ill buy anything for the $1/PP to try it. I wish the Fogo would drop back down to the $30 mark like it was previously too.

I bought 10 bags Of ML last fall for a stupid low price. I like it but I find it doesn't last long like the Fogo and Kebroak, and hopefully the Quebracho.

I used to fill up the egg with the Keb and Fogo and get a 3-4 cooks out of it. I cant do that with the ML.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Nanook said:
    I use Basques Sugar Maple and am completely satisfied. I will try to try Maple Leaf and compare. 

Basques is good too. A little more dust than Maple Leaf but still really nice. I don't worry about getting an ember in my eye when I light with map.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @hondabbq Quebracho is FOGO, well one of their brands, mine arrived from Brown Santa a couple of days ago. I really like the Kebroak, but one bag was pristine, the other not so much. 18Kg for $40 delivered is not bad, Maple Leaf is almost the same price for 16Kg. The boys from HH really kicked the last three bags of Maple Leaf around, chips and dust. Basques is better buy at $18 for 8Kg and the Lowe's guys use a fork lift. 
    Little Steven - ML is great if there was just some other place to buy it. Have you seen or tried the new Napoleon Brand? Understand it is made by Maple Leaf.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Never heard of Napoleon, is it possible ML packaged it for the Napoleon grill co. similar to RO packaged as BGE 100% organic charcoal?
    canuckland
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    In use Fogo only now. $12 for 17 lbs here. That is hard to beat
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    the FOGO has been shipped, we are in business.  I get it on the 9th, I think I will do a nice pulled pork to celebrate.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Never heard of Napoleon, is it possible ML packaged it for the Napoleon grill co. similar to RO packaged as BGE 100% organic charcoal?
    @Canugghead - saw the Napoleon during the grand opening of a local BBQ store, will get the name of the lump and you can see if you can find it locally. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    @skiddymarker Good to hear that about Quebracho.
    I have 2 bags being delivered today and 1 Kebroak slated for next Tuesday.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Interesting to note that FOGO Quebracho is from Argentina; stamped Restaurant Quality; is an 18Kg bag (40#); sells for $40CDN and ships free on .ca; sells for $30US and ships for $45US on .com. Bet they don't sell many with that shipping cost in the USA. 
    Premium FOGO is from Central America, El Salvador; stamped Restaurant Quality; is a 16Kg bag (35#); sells for $50CDN and ships free on .ca; sells for $45US and ships free on .com. 
    Given the Loonie is worth $0.80US, the GWN is getting a deal no matter what you order. 
    @hondabbq - let me know how the Kebroak arrived, I had one bag that was spectacular, the other could be used for making gunpowder. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited June 2015
    Options
    interesting, FOGO Quebracho at .ca with free delivery is cheaper than buying local here:
    http://www.bbqs.com/argentinian-restaurant-grade-lump-charcoal.html

canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Canugghead - Blackstone is the name of lump from the Napoleon Brand of Companies. I couldn't find anything on the inter-webs. It is sugar maple and a mix of other Canadian hardwoods. One rep at my local BBQ shop thought it was made by Basques, the other thought it was made by Maple Leaf - given I don't know any other Canadian lump companies, it is still a mystery. 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    the fogo made it and it is as glorious as i remember it
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II