Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy way to do a steak..

Options
slantback37
slantback37 Posts: 135
I am not going to try the reverse this cast iron pan that. I will try different things when I can afford to waste money I don't have on food. I just want to cook a couple of steaks on the egg. I have two Sirloins. About 2" thick, but only 8 oz each. I just want to do both steaks. I don't have the time, or the money to waste screwing up our supper. How do I cook both steaks?? Thanks
I live in Duluth, Minnesota

Comments

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    At that thickness, I'd do a reverse sear. It's super easy, provided you have a thermometer. You don't have to use a ci skillet at all, just the stock grate! 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • slantback37
    Options
    I have a Maverick thermometer. Don't know nothing about no reverse sear though. I would be kind of afraid I would screw up dinner doing extra things. Can you just cook it the way you would do it on a Weber??
  • maso
    Options
    Well you could use the maverick, certainly. If you like med rare, go id at 250 to 120* internal, then crank up the egg and go direct for 2 min a side, flipping every 30 secs. 

You can just go direct at a higher temp and flip every 30, but at that thick of a steak, you risk burning the outside before getting the inside done. It really just depends on how you like your steak done. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • maso
    Options
    I was really nervous about the reverse sear before my first one too, but it's really the easiest way to knock a steak outta the park! After you do one, you'll only do it that way with thicker steaks! 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • slantback37
    Options
    What about direct with a raised grill??
  • maso
    Options
    Yeah man, sometimes you just gotta give it a shot. If you're not worried about presentation, you can always cut into it a bit to check doneness. At the end of the day, not matter how you get there, you'll have a steak to eat! Can't beat that!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • slantback37
    Options
    It has to be better than the gas grill I used all of last year.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2015
    Options
    'I am not going to try the reverse this cast iron pan that." Hmm.. then why are you here?

"I will try different things when I can afford to waste money I don't have on food."  - Then order out.  You can send it back if it isn't right.

This forum, nor home cooking match the attitude presented in those statements. You know the answer to your question about steak. You addressed it as the first statement in your post. The reverse sear is the easiest method to cook 2 large steaks. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • slantback37
    Options
    Sorry. I only get one day off a week, and every other weekend. I don't have lots of time to do all of what is involved with this reverse thing, or a cast iron fry pan deal. I already screwed up a 4 lb pork shoulder. These steaks were $6.00 each. I also bought a 3.5 lb chicken to try that spatch thing, but that will have to wait until this weekend.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It has to be better than the gas grill I used all of last year.
    Not if your not willing to spend the time to do it right. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • slantback37
    Options
    I want to know the right way. I just thought you could just do it the way you did it on a Weber, or the way it is done on gas. I will take my time though. I can read something 1000 times, and I still don't understand it. I get frustrated, because I don't understand how to do it.
  • maso
    Options
    There's no "right" way, just the way that's best for you. The comments above are hinting at the point of purposely not trying new things. Sometimes you just have to jump in and start treading water until you figure out how to ride the waves. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Slant back,
    take our advice reverse sear is the best way to go. I use plate stater legs up cook til IT is 100 and take steaks off. Flip daisy wheel to the side and get egg to 6-700 degrees about a min side. Kerrygold herb butter on top while resting. I'm talking money.
  • slantback37
    Options
    What will the steak end up like?? Med rare??
    By doing this. Does this mean that this is cooking the inside first, then you sear off the top and bottom from the high heat??
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    REVERSE SEAR STEAKS

-cook indirect at 250*-275*
    -pull steaks at 108*-112* (rare, med-rare) and tent loosely
    -remove PS and get temp to 650*-700*
    -dab steaks with paper towel before searing
    -sear 1 1/2 min per side
    -serve immediately
    GWN
  • slantback37
    Options
    I wish all of this was in a video form. If I see it.. I would understand it..
  • maso
    Options
    Ned rare is probably close, take it higher It initially for more done. You're correct, it helps to cook the middle without the outside getting too done. Then you sear to get a good crust with the sear. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • slantback37
    Options
    Nanook said:
    REVERSE SEAR STEAKS

-cook indirect at 250*-275*
    -pull steaks at 108*-112* (rare, med-rare) and tent loosely
    -remove PS and get temp to 650*-700*
    -dab steaks with paper towel before searing
    -sear 1 1/2 min per side
    -serve immediately
    I read somewhere on here that you are should let it rest for a period of time so that the juices won't flow out..
  • slantback37
    Options
    It just seems to be so high a temp. Where should the grill be placed for this?? I made on of those grill lifters. If I pulled the plate setter, and put the cast iron grill down on the ring.. Wouldn't it get enough heat to sear it, or would it just cook it more??
  • slantback37
    Options
    Something was said when we bought our egg.. We were to have it no higher than 350 for the first few times out, or else you toast the gaskets. I cooked that nasty pork shoulder for near 8 hrs. Is this enough heat to set the gasket?? If I have to get the temp up to 600.. Wouldn't that toast out that gasket??
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    When you remove the steaks after the "slow roast" and loosely tent under tin foil, the time it takes to get the Egg to 650°-700° for the sear is enough time for the steaks to rest. And yes, pull the platesetter, then pu the grate right on the fire ring. Open the bottom vent, and remove the daisy wheel completely. It won't take long for the Egg to get HOT. Just remember to dab the steaks with some paper towel before you sear them. You will get a nicer sear if they are drier. 
    GWN
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Where do you Live? If its near southern illinois ill come show you how to use the egg. Your pork probably sucked because the smoke wasnt clean before you put the meat in. 

Reverse sear on a steak is easy. Just get the grill going aboit 250 indirect, meaning a plate setter or stone between the meat and fire. Like roasting in an oven. When the smoke is gone, cook your steaks until the internal temp of the meat is in the ballpark of 120 degrees. Then, remove your indirect piece, set the grate back on the fire ring, and open the vents until you get it crazy hot. Sear the steaks about a minute and a half per side. I usually rest 5 minutes. Then eat. 

If you dont want medium rare, cook to a higher internal temp before searing. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Dont worry about the stock gasket. You will burn it to a crisp eventually. Get a rutland gasket, best money spent on the egg, and it was cheap! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• slantback37
    Options
    I am going do it today. Should I use the Rockwood, or the BGE, or does it make a difference??
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    you need to waste money on a thermapen to stop wasting good food by screwing up supper. =) with the price of good beef lately you dont want to screw it up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • slantback37
    Options
    One of these times I am going to try that.
    For right now I am going to give that reverse sear a try.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Unfortunately, failure is part of the game my man, period.  I have botched many dishes before, but still ate them.  Most of all, I learned a lesson for next time.  

Reverse sear isn't rocket science by no means.  This past Saturday, I did a reverse sear while my wok was heating up to cook onion rings.  I simply placed the steak away from the direct flame.  Got to around 15° of my target temp, then removed from the heat.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    hapster said:
    It doesn't get much easier than this for grilling steaks...

I tried the caveman method and I didn't really like the results.  I got a nice char on the outside, but the inside didn't really cook at all.

On the sear, it also didn't seem to sear as quickly as when the meat is right above the flames.  It could be useful for the sear part of the reverse sear, but I wouldn't say it was better.
    NOLA
  • slantback37
    Options
    So then maybe if I just put the steaks on the grill, and watched them close enough it might just work as well. The height can be adjusted as to where the steak sits either to close, or to far away..