Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks for 12 advise plz

Options
2»

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Try reverse sear for only yourself (and spouse) and see if you like it before you try it for a large group. We did it at the ranch a couple months back and I liked it a lot. We did low heat on a rack in the oven for the slow cook and then seared it on the grill. Rather than a pink center on a normal grill cook, you end up with a pink steak 90% through the steak. Worked great for doing 8 steaks at once and cooking them all perfect.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Crap.  Every time I cook I consider it an experiment.  If I followed the advice to not experiment with guests I'd never do anything new. 
    I guess it depends on your relationship to the guests.  My guests are typically good friends that know there is a 80-90% chance I'm going to serve them something wonderful... and a 10-20% chance it won't go exactly as planned because I had too many grills going at once... or I got distracted by beer and conversation... or I simply haven't ironed out the kinks on a particular cook... or some combination. 
    But we're still going to have a great time - even if the food is only "decent" because 1) we eggheads are our own worst critics and our "decent" is pretty good and 2) it is more about the company anyway.  And if I totally ruin something we'll just order some pizza and still have a great time - and have a good story to tell for years (note: this hasn't happened - yet).
    With that being said, I can see that in some situations one might not "swing for the fences" for fear of striking out - when one could play it safe... but that's not my style.  I'd rather go down in flames swinging than play it safe.

So, @Eggsalent, do what fits your style.  You can put on your big boy pants and do a reverse sear and take a shot at serving your guests the best steak they've ever eaten outside a $100 steakhouse - or... well... you get the idea.

(note: the above is meant to be good fun - do what makes you happy as that is what this hobby is about)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Oh, I did mean to mention that the sear time in that article seemed way too long. They say to sear each side 3-5 minutes. I normally only grill each side for 4 minutes. No way I would sear for that long after a slow cook.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Oh, I did mean to mention that the sear time in that article seemed way too long. They say to sear each side 3-5 minutes. I normally only grill each side for 4 minutes. No way I would sear for that long after a slow cook.

Agreed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I sear 90 seconds per side at 700° in a CI pan. 
    GWN
  • Eggsalent
    Eggsalent Posts: 75
    Options
    @Foghorn funny as hell how ever this time i was only able to wear my regular pants but only cause i bought all the food next steaks ill try to revese sear. The steaks where great thanks for everones advise
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I'm glad it worked out well - and glad that you took my post in the manner in which it was intended. 
    Next time try a reverse sear and take some pics.

San Antonio, TX