Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A lot of food at Eggfest?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If i go to Eggfest, should I plan to bring a sandwich for lunch, or is there enough food there to eat for lunch? Should I need to bring my egg with me?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Burf Wilson,
    Don't bring any food. Don't eat breakfast. Show up at the opening and you will stuffed silly by 2 pm, if not before. Probably the most important thing you will need to know is "pace yourself" or you'll be too full to eat the stuff that gets cooked towards the end....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Do they charge for the food, is there a menu? I guess I'm trying to figure out how this thing works...[p]-Burf

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Burf Wilson,
    You pay the entry fee to attend. Once you're in, the food is free, the drinks are free. There is no menu. Everyone who wants to cook brings food, cooks it and then anyone who wants it digs in. You may hear cries of "WessB's ribs are ready!!" or "Nature Boy's Squidlies are ready!!" and folks will migrate over to food. Or you may just wander around and see someone taking a calzone off of a cooker, slicing it up and offering it to anyone who walks up. It is totally informal and spontaneous.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Burf Wilson,
    Burf, dont bring anything extra to the fetsival's man. It's all there man. If you want to bring a radio you can. Listen to some tune's man!!!!

• Papa ShaBBQ,[p]Thanks, PaPa...do I need to bring a lawn chair, and do they have picnick tables? Also, i guess i should bring some suntan lotion? Hopefully some one will be cooking birsket. i love that...

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Burf Wilson,
    As far as Waldorf Eggfest is concerned, there are some chairs, bring one if you can, no picnic tables....there is a band so you dont need to bring tunes....suntan lotion might not be a bad idea...And pretty much ANY fest, you will hard pressed to see any brisket, as the cooking begins around 9 am and the eggs have to be cool and ready to load into vehicles by 5 pm, not enough time to do a brisket or butt cook, unless one was to pre cook ahead of time and finish it off at the fest....HTH[p]Wess

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WessB, you just got me thinkin. Maybe a brisket is in order this year![p]Can't wait mang! Will be anice break after workin 12+ hours a day as long as I can remember.[p]Brews toya, and howdy to Sally!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You had the all-time greatest suggestion for the 1st Waldorf fest.
    I think it was brisket, and you wanted to start it at home and drive it, while it was still smoking in the egg, in your truck to the fest.
    Maybe try it this yr? :)
    ST

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Burf Wilson, we did brisket at the Atlanta Eggtoberfest two years ago. Cooked it overnight on a local egg and finished it at 'da fest.... they do get cooked at a fest or two.....

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]We should take this a step further. I'll pick up a brisket in NJ and start aging it. I'll then drive it to your place on Eggfest Eve, and we can then inject it and rub it with Cow Lick and turbinado sugar. We then drive it to Waldorf and start it up in the parking lot on Eggfest Eve. Eggfest morning, we put the lit Egg into the back of NB's truck and drive it to the fest still smoking.[p]It will be like carrying the Olympic torch to opening ceremonies.[p]I really like this plan. However, I think we'd need to make it just a little more complex to make it work really well. Maybe some superfluous stops and hand offs to further prep the brisket, or perhaps some more lit Egg driving time.[p]We have some time. Let's make this happen...[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Todd and Corndude.
    That's funny. I remember that actually. I got some pretty funny responses to that crazy suggestion about driving down the road with a smokin egg. Those were the days. I think I had about 4 hours of forum time per day back then![p]The brisket thing could actually work really well and really easy. I doubt Dale would mind if we cruised by in Friday afternoon, and set up an egg out front with a guru. Just set 'er up at 210 grate, and head back to the hotel before the bus leaves for Capn Billys. Wouldn't have to do anything but prep the brisket and throw it on. Next mornin it'll be in the plateau.[p]Sweet. I'm in. I need to talk to da mayoor anywho. I'll buzz him tomorrow!
    Cheers fellas!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Cool. This looks like a great oppurtunity to see how the pros prep Brisket. Looks like Im entering in a contest this late spring. Heeeeeee haaaaaaaa weeeeeeeeeee!
    ST

• Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Options
    Burf Wilson,[p]Here's the deal (optimistically generalizing from my one and only trip so far) -- you pay an entrance fee, or attendance fee, or some such. This is used by the organizers to help cover drinks, location, the meet & great, and other such. Some people sign up beforehand to purchase 'used' eggs at a discount (like, they're used, right?). These are the eggs used for the cooking.[p]Some people cook, rather than paying the entrance fee -- they put the money into the food and accessories (plates and such). [p]Yes, hard as it is to understand, a LOT of the people here are a bit crazed -- they enjoy egging SO much, and socializing SO much that they are willing to spend a day in the sun 'slaving' over a hot egg for a bunch of people who used to be strangers.[p]Go.[p]Take appetite.[p]Take notes.[p]Eat.[p]Enjoy.[p]Tom[p](Who is currently trying to figure out what he wants to cook at the next fest he goes to)