Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have made Worcestershire Sauce and bottled it for family & friends.....

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited May 2015 in Off Topic
I have made 5-6 batches over the last year or so. Each time I modified the recipe a bit till I got down to a product I was happy with. A couple of the ingredients were a challenge to find.,  and it has to sit for 3 weeks so requires some forward planning. Made some good Christmas presents for the neighbors though. 

My question is......Has any of you made any sauces? If so, have you bottled it for shelf stable storage? If so, how did you accomplish it?
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    village idiot gave me some awesome homemade Worcestershire sauce.  Message him.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Would you post the recipe?

NOLA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Just homemade hot sauce.  There was enough vinegar in it that it was more than stable.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • northGAcock
    buzd504 said:
    Would you post the recipe?

I will.....with some notes I made.  This is a small batch....I usually double / triple it. You will also need a large glass vessel with the ability to screw on top tightly. Here goes:

Ingredients
    1⁄2 cup soy sauce
    1⁄4 cup tamarind concentrate (You can find this at Whole Foods)
    3 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
    3 tbsp. kosher salt
    1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
    1 tsp. whole cloves (I cut way back....they can be overpowering especially if 2x recipe)
    1⁄2 tsp. curry powder
    5 cardamom pods, smashed (Can find this at World Market)
    4 chiles de árbol, chopped
    2 - 3 cloves garlic, smashed
    2 anchovy, chopped
    2 tbsp Clawsans (or other good) dill pickle juice
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1⁄2 cup sugar (I go with 1/4 cut as I find the recipe makes it rather sweet) 
    1 (1") stick cinnamon
    1 (1⁄2") piece of fresh ginger, peeled and crushed

Combine all ingredients except the sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan; boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook sugar in a skillet over medium-high heat until it becomes dark amber and syrupy, about 5 minutes. (Your sugar will liquefy and it is important to keep stirring it)

Add caramelized sugar to vinegar mixture and whisk to combine; (be careful as this will splatter and there is nothing worse than hot liquid sugar sticking to your skin)

Cook sauce for 5 minutes; transfer sauce to a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.

Refrigerate, covered, for 3 weeks; strain to remove solids; return to jar. Refrigerate for up to 8 months

Enjoy!

• Bookmarked. Thanks! Always looking for creative homemade (read cheap) gift options.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • northGAcock
    I had some expensive lables made and purchased some bottles. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Awesome, thank you for posting that.
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow that is really cool.  I didn't know so much stuff went into Worchesesttaseesccher sauce.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Wow that is really cool.  I didn't know so much stuff went into Worchesesttaseesccher sauce.  
    Why do you think it has such a long name?
  • northGAcock
     I didn't know so much stuff went into Worchesesttaseesccher sauce.  
    This want be your standard L&P....it will be pleasantly different.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    My neighbor makes great hot sauce.  I have no idea how he does it but it's way better than anything you can get in the store. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Bookmarked, will have to try this in the future!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    My neighbor makes great hot sauce.  I have no idea how he does it but it's way better than anything you can get in the store. 
    Hot sauce is simple. Or at least mine is. 

Weigh your pepper, add 6% salt by weight, add enough water to cover and blend. 
    Put in a jar, cover the opening with a cloth held on with a rubber band and leave on the cupboard to ferment. A month is good. If it molds, scoop the mold off. It is not an issue. 
    After it ferments, back in the blender with an equal amount of vinegar and blend like crazy. Strain through a sieve and bottle. 
    I've had some in the fridge for 18 months now and it's perfectly good. Still hot as heck too. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I have made 5-6 batches over the last year or so. Each time I modified the recipe a bit till I got down to a product I was happy with. A couple of the ingredients were a challenge to find.,  and it has to sit for 3 weeks so requires some forward planning. Made some good Christmas presents for the neighbors though. 

My question is......Has any of you made any sauces? If so, have you bottled it for shelf stable storage? If so, how did you accomplish it?
    I do home canning, so when I made a large batch of BBQ sauce, I knew I needed to preserve it if I wanted it to last, so I canned it in 8 oz canning jars.
    I probably went with an hour at 15 # PSI not knowing the exact acidity of my concoction.  It was many days of effort making the sauce, didn't right it down, but it was natural smoke flavored and whiskey concoction.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.