Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Table, 15" or 17" height

Options
I'm planning to build a table for a Large BGE. The BGE plans say 15" from the stand to the table surface. But on here I have seen both 15" and 17" used on table builds. I have a new large with the table nest. I'd like to get the grill as low as possible without cutting for the hinge. So without assembling the grill just to get a measurement, I thought I'd ask on here.

What height do I build it assuming nothing under the nest? I will add something under the nest and can account for that when building.

Also while I am asking, what is the depth of the grill with the lid open? I might place the table against a wall and don't want to smack the wall with the grill lid.
Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157985/cedar-table#latest

This is a link to my table plans. My egg in a table nest just barely contacted at the hinge. I put a 1/2" stone under the egg and it was perfect.

If you plan on putting a stone under the egg go with 17". If not, consider 16 1/2 or 16 3/4 if you want it as close as possible. You can always put a stone under if you're close.

I can't say about how far back it goes though. I'm moving and my grill is not assembled yet, so I can't check.

I hope this helps.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I would go with 16" depth from top of shelf to tabletop.  This will give you 1/2" to 3/4" hinge clearance on top with the table nest.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• GWizBrewing
    Options
    I build a table for a large a few weekends ago and can take some measurements tonight.  I built my table based off of the plans that naked wiz has available.
    Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life. - Anonymous.
  • GWizBrewing
    Options
    I measured my table fro the LBGE last night.  I have the distance between top and bottom ledges as 17in.  Using the table next, the hinges barely rub the wood.  I would recommend going no more than 16.5in between bottom and top.
    Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life. - Anonymous.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I did 15" and wish I had done 16" or 16.5".  My bottom shelf is too close to the top and my egg sticks out the top a great deal. 

But, I didn't have the table nest dims. That's the difference. 
    Clinton, Iowa