Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy day project- Stoker box

Options
Periods of heavy rain for the last two days here in the GTA. Got me thinking - with my stoker set to arrive early next week, why wait for the flood to build the ark, right? Felt pretty comfortable about the dimensions and space needed in the container, so decided to proceed without the physical stoker unit in hand. Hopefully I haven't overlooked anything? While I was at it, cut out a hole for a cheap computer fan. Seems to work great, and the air exchange is an added bonus, though as others have noted, don't think it will be necessary (i.e., if it's raining, it's rarely sunny at the same time). Can't wait for the flood!

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Looks good.

Are you pushing the air out or pulling it in?  Do you have some sort of cover over it?  How long will the 9 volt battery last?  How many cfm on the fan?  I assume the cover is clear so you can see the readout through it.  @Ozzie_Isaac used heavy duty Velcro to hold stuff in place ... works well.  Are the fittings RTVed in place?  What size is your container?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Looks good.

Are you pushing the air out or pulling it in?  Do you have some sort of cover over it?  How long will the 9 volt battery last?  How many cfm on the fan?  I assume the cover is clear so you can see the readout through it.  @Ozzie_Isaac used heavy duty Velcro to hold stuff in place ... works well.  Are the fittings RTVed in place?  What size is your container?
    Thanks @Jeepster47 . In terms of the direction of the fan, I'm pushing air out. BUT - I'm technically also pulling air in through the conduits. The cover (15"x13") is a standard tupperware cover that came with the container. It's decent because it doesn't have many pockets where water can collect, thus most water should drain off easily. It however is white, but I figure I can see through the side of the clear container. No clue how long the 9V battery will last - I suppose I'll find out soon enough! Didn't even realize computer fans were rated by CFM's, so I'm not sure how many CFM's this one is. It's 8cm, so fairly small and wouldn't provide much in the way of CFM's (maybe 1 or 2 CFM;s?). I siliconed the fittings in place and also around the perimeter of the fan. Thanks for the velcro tip - I figure I'll wait to get the stoker to finalize positioning, then lock it down with some velcro at that point. I'll also need to find a way to angle the unit up slightly. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    The Insignia 80 mm case fan ($7 at Best Buy) reports almost 24 cfm.  I'm using a USB cable (stripped to red/black) and a Belkin outlet I already had to power it.  
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOPW45W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Pulling air in through the fan would probably suck water in, where as, pulling air in through the fittings won't suck in water ... moisture, yes, but not water.  Like you've said, probably don't need the fan on a rainy day.  I put my DigiQ in the box even on a clear day ... just in case the weather changes.

If the fan is moving too much air, you can add a fan outlet cover with a hole in the center to moderate the air flow. 

9 volt batteries are a little expensive.  Rechargeable might be the way to go.  For sure, save the ones out of your smoke detectors ... there's usually a fair amount of juice left in them.

One other problem is where you're going to place the box.  Since it has an extension cord, the chance of tripping over it - if you're clumsy like me - and pulling it off the table/stand/cart bothers me.  I've duct taped mine down and now have some heavy weights holding it in position.

Thanks for posting, it's given me a few new ideas.  Want to rebuild mine.

• bweekes
    Options
    Pulling air in through the fan would probably suck water in, where as, pulling air in through the fittings won't suck in water ... moisture, yes, but not water.  Like you've said, probably don't need the fan on a rainy day.  I put my DigiQ in the box even on a clear day ... just in case the weather changes.

If the fan is moving too much air, you can add a fan outlet cover with a hole in the center to moderate the air flow. 

9 volt batteries are a little expensive.  Rechargeable might be the way to go.  For sure, save the ones out of your smoke detectors ... there's usually a fair amount of juice left in them.

One other problem is where you're going to place the box.  Since it has an extension cord, the chance of tripping over it - if you're clumsy like me - and pulling it off the table/stand/cart bothers me.  I've duct taped mine down and now have some heavy weights holding it in position.

Thanks for posting, it's given me a few new ideas.  Want to rebuild mine.
    Agreed re: airflow direction. To clarify, the fan is pointed such that air is being pushed OUT of the box. So yes, I'm pushing air out and, as a result, pulling air in through the PVC openings. Will definitely consider rechargeables - it's certainly more economical than buying a new 9V for each cook! I've also thought about the risk of tipping, because I know it will happen eventually. Wonder if velcro might also be an option for affixing the container to my side shelves. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Another option I've heard folks do is hook the fan up to an old 12V cell phone charger. @Jeepster47 , if you're rebuilding, that might be something to consider?   
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Putting a strap with Velco on it around the side table and then putting Velco on the bottom of the box might work well.  With a strap around the table and over the top of the box, you're bound to stumble when the strap is off while adjusting something in the box.  I have been duct taping down the sides of my box and around the stool that I've been using to support it.

Velcro on one side of a steel plate, rubber on the other side, and Velcro on the bottom off the box would also offer greatly increased stability.  Definitely better than plastic on paint!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    The Stoker gets plugged in to 110v right? So you will have a wall plug somewhere when using it. Why not just run that computer fan off a wall wart as well? I've done it plenty of times for audio equipment in a cabinet.
    Something like this wall wart should work fine (assuming the fan is less than 2 amp draw) and be easy to connect using the included plug adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Switching-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B006NTNGN0/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17TRP29ZR9TEAG41D19S

Or look around the house and see if you have any old unused wall warts laying around with old/broken electronics. Lower voltage is OK, it will draw less air though but also run quieter. Just make sure it has a higher amp rating than the fan. The label on the fan should have it on there. I just cut plug off and solder the wires direct to the fan and then heat shrink over the connections. But I get that not everyone solders (it's easy) and so the above link should work great.

For the side of the box, take a small piece of plexiglass, cut a square in the side of the tupperware, and screw/silicone that plexiglass in to place. Then you can see into the side of the box and see the Stoker LCD readout.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Like @Toxarch said - they do make AC powered fans.

Some like this plug directly into an outlet sans wall wart: http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-LS8038A-X-Standard-Cooling/dp/B009OXTWZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433098075&sr=8-3&keywords=AC+computer+fan

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bweekes
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    The Stoker gets plugged in to 110v right? So you will have a wall plug somewhere when using it. Why not just run that computer fan off a wall wart as well? I've done it plenty of times for audio equipment in a cabinet.
    Something like this wall wart should work fine (assuming the fan is less than 2 amp draw) and be easy to connect using the included plug adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Switching-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B006NTNGN0/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17TRP29ZR9TEAG41D19S

Or look around the house and see if you have any old unused wall warts laying around with old/broken electronics. Lower voltage is OK, it will draw less air though but also run quieter. Just make sure it has a higher amp rating than the fan. The label on the fan should have it on there. I just cut plug off and solder the wires direct to the fan and then heat shrink over the connections. But I get that not everyone solders (it's easy) and so the above link should work great.

For the side of the box, take a small piece of plexiglass, cut a square in the side of the tupperware, and screw/silicone that plexiglass in to place. Then you can see into the side of the box and see the Stoker LCD readout.
    Thanks! Lots of very helpful ideas. I've got a one outlet extension cord that will be run from the exterior wall GFI straight into my Stoker box. With the size of the size of the pvc piping I chose, there is no way I'd get two outlet cord through the opening. So I'll see how this setup works for now and adjust accordingly in time. 

As for the ability to see into the box, the 2 of the 4 sides are clear, so I'll position the Stoker display facing one of those clear sides and I'll be able to see it perfectly. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Spiffy looking box 
  • bweekes
    Options
    Thanks @DoubleEgger. For those of you that use an extension cord to power your stoker, are there any issues with running off of a 50 foot extension cord?  
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No issue at all. Don't overthink this. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    A plug in splitter on the end of the extension cord would work.  Add a wall wart to replace the battery.

• bweekes
    Options
    No issue at all. Don't overthink this. 
    Ok sweet. I definitely am overthinking it now! LOL. Maybe I'm just anxious to get the stoker and use it. I'm sure I'll start another thread when I do get it and can't set it up! 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • LDR
    Options

I couldn't work in the yard most of the weekend, so hid out in the garage to finish my box.  I've got a couple of finger guards on order, because if anybody's going accidentally stick something into the fan, it'll be me.

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    @LDR sweet looking box!! What size is it? Thanks
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • LDR
    Options
    It's 12x15 and 6" tall from the Container Store.  
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Thanks! Lots of very helpful ideas. I've got a one outlet extension cord that will be run from the exterior wall GFI straight into my Stoker box. With the size of the size of the pvc piping I chose, there is no way I'd get two outlet cord through the opening. So I'll see how this setup works for now and adjust accordingly in time. 
    Just use a splitter inside the box.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-PWR-PSLIB-2-Xtender-Splitter/dp/B000234UFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433131842&sr=8-3&keywords=Power+Cord+Splitter

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• LDR
    Options

I had sent an email to Rock's Barbque a few days back about heat buildup, and heard back today:

Rogers,

You should not have any issues running the Stoker in an enclosed box. 

Regards,

Kevin Grundell

Rock's Barbque 

37355 Blacow Rd Fremont CA 94536

(510)792-7700 M-F 9am-5pm PST

www.rocksbarbque.com

• bweekes
    Options
    LDR said:

I had sent an email to Rock's Barbque a few days back about heat buildup, and heard back today:

Rogers,

You should not have any issues running the Stoker in an enclosed box. 

Regards,

Kevin Grundell

Rock's Barbque 

37355 Blacow Rd Fremont CA 94536

(510)792-7700 M-F 9am-5pm PST

www.rocksbarbque.com

Awesome - that makes me feel better. Guess I was just being safe by putting a fan in. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • LDR
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Awesome - that makes me feel better. Guess I was just being safe by putting a fan in. 
    It was a fun project, and kept me out of trouble for a bit.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Better safe than sorry. Electronics were not made to run in hot environments. I'll still be adding a 120v fan to mine. It's a cheap insurance policy to me. 
  • bweekes
    Options
    Quick update. As expected, the battery idea was short-lived, both figuratively and literally. So decided to wire up the fan to a 9V cell phone charger. Feeling much better about this now. ...and the Stoker wait continues!

Ajax, ON Canada
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    What tools are best for cutting into the plastic?
  • bweekes
    Options
    What tools are best for cutting into the plastic?
    Tupperware plastic is not the easiest to cut through without cracking. Easiest to use a dremel or a sharp knife. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I went another route. I got a 12V extension cable on Amazon to run the fan and thermocouple extension wires to connect to the control head on my Flame Boss. It sits inside the house and the cables go out a window. I can hear the alarm while doing other prep in the kitchen with this setup.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa