Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked it...

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
Was doing a cleaning burn yesterday. Heard a cracking sound. Started smoking out of the base. Have had it close to 15 years or so. Didn't register it til late last year. Don't have a receipt. Called the retailer, no help there. Lid is very well "seasoned", had 0 luck finding the number on it...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Just like 15 years ago as today there is no serial number embedded in your egg. There is a number of the particular mold that the base and dome were created in but that only identifies molds which have gone bad. If you registered it even late you should be fine. My guess is whoever you talked with at your dealer was a grunt working on Sunday and not a person in authority. Call again tomorrow or call Bruce at BGE HQ.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TDogg46
    TDogg46 Posts: 56
    Options
    How do you register your egg??  Never even knew this was a thing. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    TDogg46 said:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/registration/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

Had a similar problem with my dealer a while back.  I emailed BGE directly and within a couple of days BGE sent me the replacement part.

Good Luck

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• dougcrann
    Options
    We bought it in Az....and are now in Washington state. I will be calling Bruce first thing tomorrow.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    This is crazy just a couple weeks ago I was recommending on a thread to do clean burns at 500 and just let them run longer cause clean burns at 750 plus have cracked multiple egg parts and bases for me and other forum members did not agree including @RRP.  Sorry about your luck certain regions the distributors are more strict and require more proof of purchase from what I have seen in the past. I am not sure how you can call Bruce directly but his email is Bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com he has always responded fairly quickly when I have had warranty issues. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Lit said:
    This is crazy just a couple weeks ago I was recommending on a thread to do clean burns at 500 and just let them run longer cause clean burns at 750 plus have cracked multiple egg parts and bases for me and other forum members did not agree including @RRP.  Sorry about your luck certain regions the distributors are more strict and require more proof of purchase from what I have seen in the past. I am not sure how you can call Bruce directly but his email is Bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com he has always responded fairly quickly when I have had warranty issues.

Stupid phone...screwed up the quote...I called BGE on Saturday....don't know why....but I actually end ed in his voice mail. Will be emailing/calling tomorrow.  Thanks for the email address. Local guy sounded like he was willing to help, just wanted me to verify that it was indeed registered.  Shop in AZ...well...guy was just an azzhat. Suggested I call tomorrow and talk to the manager. They have a lot of records in boxes.. 
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    TDogg46 said:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/registration/
    I just checked the dome of my egg and do not see any numbers stamped in any where in the dome. I've had it about 3 years. Could it be stamped somewhere else? 
    Brandon, MS
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    If you've had it that long chances of finding the stamped numbers in it are slim unless you've only baked in it....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sorry bout your damage.  I'm in the same camp as @lit    I will run at 550-600 for 1hr or so and it is all good.   I quit talking about it a while back because some like to go nuclear and will argue the fact that it is needed and I gave up talking about it.  Neither of my eggs have any crusty nasties and generally don't get over 600-650 unless by accident    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    If you've had it that long chances of finding the stamped numbers in it are slim unless you've only baked in it....
    Well I did see a stamp that says "M.C. Mexico" right above where the serial number is supposed to be so I would think if I could see that I could find the number but no such luck. 
    Brandon, MS
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Try holding a flashlight parallel to the surface ... that usually makes it stand out.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    Well I did see a stamp that says "M.C. Mexico" right above where the serial number is supposed to be so I would think if I could see that I could find the number but no such luck. 
    There is NO serial number! Any number you may see molded in a fired piece of ceramic is the number of the "slip mold" used to create the piece! Where this serial number rumor got started is any body's guess! I swear it must rank right up at the top of Urban Legends! 

BTW think about it logically - BGE has been made for over 30 years - now do you REALLY think that you own BGE #862? 
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Excuse me RRP....ID # then 

jeepster I tried that exact thing but no luck. Nothing there 
    Brandon, MS
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... this is where I think folks are coming up with the need for an EGG ID Number.  I remember having to find it when registering my first egg.  The below picture is a screen shot off the Registration page on Big Green Egg.com  ... http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/registration/

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Exactly! Serial number ID number what's the difference! It's a number 
    Brandon, MS
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @LoveTheEgg ... go easy on Ron, the last new egg he bought was made from clay. =)

• RRP
    Options
    @LoveTheEgg ... go easy on Ron, the last new egg he bought was made from clay. =)
    THANKS Tom! I bet my 4 NO digit eggs bought 15 years ago will be priceless on Antique Road Show! But wait...this serial number issue is new so I bet egg owners purchased over the YEARS all over the country are now shaking in their boots! No serial number - no proof of purchase -  better kick that egg to the curb when it breaks! 
  • Lit
    Options
    I guess new is a relative term Ron but they have asked for that to register your egg for at least 5 years.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... I had heard that BGE was in touch with you when collecting eggs for the museum ... didn't you want to share?

BGE could do better at communicating info.  The ID number is only one of several areas where confusion abounds.

• dougcrann
    Options
    Back on topic here......so if this number is pretty much meaningless and I don't have a receipt...seriously who has a receipt from 15 years ago....how do I prove to BGE that I am indeed the original owner? And that I do indeed have an "authentic" Egg?
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Call Bruce and explain your situation.  

• dougcrann
    Options
    Call Bruce and explain your situation.  

Will do....thanks for the help fellows....
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    I guess new is a relative term Ron but they have asked for that to register your egg for at least 5 years.
    @Lit Thank you for your civil answer. In some of your prior responses to me and comments about me I have the impression you are on the BGE payroll, but for some reason you don't want that revealed. Just the same I have been a continuous hard core BGE supporter and hopefully a source of information to newbies over the past 15 years. I have been teaching BGE cooking classes now for 9 years and I try to share my experiences. PS for those of you who are really new to this corporate forum it has only been around for about 5 or 6 years and the archives and recipes are from the Miller forum created and nutured using non-corporate support over 20 years ago.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I emailed BGE a few weeks ago to register my Eggs, which are older. They said if I still have the green post card (how you used to register) I would be fine. I still have both cards.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I would be funny if BGE customer support response with, "pix or it didn't happen."

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• RRP
    Options
    So I was wrong about new eggs and I appreciate being corrected so I won't continue to misguide newbies about the serial number. But now I pose another question. Does the base have the same identical serial number or none at all? When a dome is replaced then I'm sure they won't duplicate the old number so future warranty claims after the initial replacement might get bogged down or not honored? Sounds to  me like a needless and  cumbersome record keeping for BGE. 
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lit said:
    @Lit Thank you for your civil answer. In some of your prior responses to me and comments about me I have the impression you are on the BGE payroll, but for some reason you don't want that revealed. Just the same I have been a continuous hard core BGE supporter and hopefully a source of information to newbies over the past 15 years. I have been teaching BGE cooking classes now for 9 years and I try to share my experiences. PS for those of you who are really new to this corporate forum it has only been around for about 5 or 6 years and the archives and recipes are from the Miller forum created and nutured using non-corporate support over 20 years ago.
    What? Have you missed all my emails promoting the KJ? I haven't even cooked on the eggin over a month all I use is my backwoods now. I am pretty sure others on here would think I work for KJ.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    BGE, how about confirming since I asked and followed the process with no confirmation feedback my 3 eggs are registered.
    Seattle, WA
  • dougcrann
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    BGE, how about confirming since I asked and followed the process with no confirmation feedback my 3 eggs are registered.
    Yep, hit the submit button and hope....