Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting the fire

Options
I've done quite a few cooks now, and while I haven't really screwed up anything yet, one thing I am wondering if I am doing "right" is starting the fire.   Mostly how long to leave the lid open.   I am using KJ starter cubes/squares.  Generally speaking, especially for grilling temps, how many squares do you guys light up and how long do you let them flame before shutting the lid?   Thus far I've been lighting 3 squares, and then leaving the lid open for maybe 10 minutes or so before closing.   
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sorry, can't help you as I've never used starter cubes. Been a weed burner user since day one. Somebody will be along shortly with more help.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm still a real beginner compared to most here, but it all depends on the cook you're doing.  If it's low and slow I light and close up immediately and watch my temp and start shutting down the vents as it climbs.  It's really hard to recover to low temp after it really climbs.  If you're grilling open it up and let it rip.

I use a looftlighter.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I use the BGE starter cubes. I cut them in half and usually use 2-3 halves to start my fire. If doing a low and slow I just use one whole cube in the middle. I light and leave life open 10-15 minutes and then close with vents open all the way.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    I use the BGE starter cubes. I cut them in half and usually use 2-3 halves to start my fire. If doing a low and slow I just use one whole cube in the middle. I light and leave life open 10-15 minutes and then close with vents open all the way.
    Yep, that's basically what I am doing except for the cutting into halves.  I'm sure I've just started overthinking it when nothing is wrong.  Like I said, haven't had any problems with fire going out or anything, just for some reason started wondering if I was going at it the right way.  10-15 is about when I shut mine down for normal grilling temps.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    I started with cubes, would recommend a torch.  helps with the weeknight cooks. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I use the Weber starter cubes, their the wax ones. They work perfectly for me. L&S - 1 right in the center. High heat cooks, 3 spread out. Light, wait about 10-15 minutes ... close lid, wait for desired temp and i'm good to go.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoctorMojo
    DoctorMojo Posts: 126
    Options
    Weed burner for me usually unless it's a low and slow then just one square close to the middle.

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    Options
    logchief said:
     If it's low and slow I light and close up immediately and watch my temp and start shutting down the vents as it climbs.  
    This is an ok plan to go with while using a looftlighter (I have one too and love it) but if you are using starter cubes I would highly recommend against using this method.

Closing the dome too early when using starter/paraffin cubes does not allow the starter material to fully combust. The leftover chunks smolder for a surprisingly long time and can ruin a good faster than any other thing I've encountered in my egging life. Think of it like the smoke wood from hell. 

If if using starter cubes leave the dome open for at least 10-15 minutes. However in the long run I'd recommend picking up a MAPP torch, looftlighter, or even going the veggie oil/paper towel route. 
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    If u have access to a plug in get a looftlighter. Ima big fan of them. I have been using the same one for 3 years now. 
    Brandon, MS
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    logchief said:
     If it's low and slow I light and close up immediately and watch my temp and start shutting down the vents as it climbs.  
    This is an ok plan to go with while using a looftlighter (I have one too and love it) but if you are using starter cubes I would highly recommend against using this method.

Closing the dome too early when using starter/paraffin cubes does not allow the starter material to fully combust. The leftover chunks smolder for a surprisingly long time and can ruin a good faster than any other thing I've encountered in my egging life. Think of it like the smoke wood from hell. 

If if using starter cubes leave the dome open for at least 10-15 minutes. However in the long run I'd recommend picking up a MAPP torch, looftlighter, or even going the veggie oil/paper towel route. 
    Exactly what I was running into when I was closing it earlier in my first cooks.   I felt like the smoke was choking out the flame even with the vents wide open, so that's what got me to the lid open for 10-15 minutes.  Sounds like I'm doing it right, so thanks much to all for confirmation. 

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I cut my squares in half, and use both halves, opposite sides. Then I build a little lump fort around those little fires - then add as much lump as needed without worrying about putting the fire out.

Dome open until I see the lump starting to "catch" - put the grill on, (or plate setter or Woo or whatever) close the lid, vents open all the way. Watch for the smoke to clear, then set the vents for desired temp.

I know, it's easy to overshoot your temp my way, but I set my phone alarm for 5 minutes so I don't forget.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I usually use an electric starter (the BGE one, a Christmas gift), but lately for l&s I've been doing the weber cube. The elec starter calls for 8 min, so I gauge my cube by that, but also wait for it to burn out. Seems to be around 8. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    As long as you get a fire you can cook from, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. There are tons of ways to get going, most of it comes down to personal preference.

Number one rule is no lighter fluid. The ceramic will absorb it and you'll never be rid of the door again.

I started out with the starter cubes. I only ever used one in the center, left it open for 10-15 min, then shut the lid, and started regulating temps.

I use a looftlighter now and love it. I light in a north, south, east, west center pattern. By the time I'm done (~5 min) I'm ready to go. I'm up to 350 in no time.

You just have to make sure you have a good start before you start closing down vents. You also have to make sure you don't get too hot too fast, as it's really hard to get the temp down. Throwing in a cold plate setter is a great way to soak up excess heat.

The more you do it, the easier it gets.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Response:   did you get fire lit? Then you are good to go... 

That being said, I use a Weber chimney.  Full for high-temp cooks, half for L/S.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I don't like the starter cubes due to the paraffin odor.  I use 91% alcohol which gives a fast start with no odor.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have the BGE electric starter, cubes, MAPP torch, etc. But lately this is my preferred starting method.

Works great for starting the fire pit too, no kindling required.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    I always use one cube in the middle. If a low and slow I leave the top open 10 minutes or until there's just a couple pieces of lump caught. If a higher temp cook I leave it open longer or until there is a lot lit. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Use whatever you're comfortable with.  I've always used the Bernzomatic with the yellow "MAPP" canister.  I liked the results better than the cubes, and better than the oil-soaked paper towels.  Light four spots when grilling, and two for lower temps.  I might spend 45 seconds at each spot.  Too often, I leave the lid open too long.  I'd say five to ten minutes depending on target temp and how distracted I am.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Once you go to a weed burner you will never go back
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    There are tons of starting options. They all work, but everyone has their opinions.

Try to build your fire according to your desired temp.

HOT FIRE:
    Your three starter cube method works great for a hot fire if you are grilling or a high heat bake. Remember, fire burns up so bury your starter cubes as deep as possible. I'll dig a little hole to get to the bottom, light my cubes, then stack some coal over the flame. 

SMALL FIRE:
    The bury the starter cube method still applies, but cut it back to one. I light my Egg in one spot for a low and slow cook. That spot is not in the center of the of the coal, but towards the front of the bowl directly over the intake vent. 

Small fire= small temps
    Big fire = big temps

Hope this helps...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    DMW said:
    I have the BGE electric starter, cubes, MAPP torch, etc. But lately this is my preferred starting method.

@DMW, are you using the little camping propane bottles.  I use 2 small pieces of starter stick, let them burn for 10 minutes  and if I want it to get to temp fast I break out the leaf blower.   If l&a it let it ride after 10 minutes. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:

@DMW, are you using the little camping propane bottles.  I use 2 small pieces of starter stick, let them burn for 10 minutes  and if I want it to get to temp fast I break out the leaf blower.   If l&a it let it ride after 10 minutes. 
    @Ladeback69 - Nope, it's hooked up to a 20# propane tank. Here's the one I have.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    @DMW that's what I've been using for nearly 6 years before the valve crapped out on it.  The piezo starter failed about a year ago.  I've went back to the wax starter pouches, but they take awhile to get going.  I need to get back to Harbour Freight and get another one. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    logchief said:

Exactly what I was running into when I was closing it earlier in my first cooks.   I felt like the smoke was choking out the flame even with the vents wide open, so that's what got me to the lid open for 10-15 minutes.  Sounds like I'm doing it right, so thanks much to all for confirmation. 
    get a weed burner and you will be cooking in 10 minutes 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @DMW, I would get one, I just don't want to deal with propane anymore. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I use a chimney and a starter cube. Dump the lit chimney on the charcoal bed and it never fails.
    Kemah, TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

GaBGE said:
    Even cutting into 2-3 pieces, you are wasting money. See above. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    I mist be the only cheap egger left and go with veg oil soaked napkins just 1 to start up and running by 2nd beer :)
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Have you ever used to KJ brand?   Just wondering how the Rutland compares.   That's a pretty good deal if they are good.   I think I'm paying $7-8 for a 24-box of KJ.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone