Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MM followed me home today :)

Options
Well, my local dealer has had a mini max on the shelf for almost a week now (after I told them that they existed, they ordered a couple, one is still backordered), and I couldn't resist the temptation any longer.

Got it together today and one cook done.  It came up to temp very nicely, and held steady.  I was very happy when it dialed in at 350, right where I thought it would.  I've been cooking on my large without the dfmt for awhile now, and it looks like the same will be true for the MM.

First cook, some onions (can't get enough of these lately), stuffed poblano pepper, and a partridge for each of us.

So far so good, quite impressed with this little unit.  I'm hoping to be able to utilize it throughout the week easier, rather than cooking in bulk on the weekend and eating leftovers all week.

The Mrs even said, "maybe I'll learn to use this one, it's cute".
Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That following home thing happens a lot. 

The "little egg" has been getting a lot of work here too. Enjoy!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @noregard   Congrats on the new MM.  Food looks great.  May I ask what you did to those onions?
    Phoenix 
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    blasting said:
    @noregard   Congrats on the new MM.  Food looks great.  May I ask what you did to those onions?
    Dittos on that, that's something I haven't done yet.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • DoctorMojo
    DoctorMojo Posts: 126
    Options
    Congrats on the new addition,,,,Cook looks good!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Please share on the onions! 
    Brandon, MS
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Hmmmmm. Love those partridge!
    GWN
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Congrats.

Tell me about the onions please.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Congrats on the MM. I love mine. Especially for the midweek cooks. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    i looked at a mm the other day.  if i didnt have a small thats what i would get. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • Monty13
    Monty13 Posts: 74
    Options
    How did you cook the partridge would like to know as I occasionally get to shoot a few 
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    @Blasting , @DoofusOfTheDay , @loveTheEgg , @Jeepster47

The onions are very simple, I can't remember where I first saw them… most likely on here, I certainly didn't come up with it.

Anyways, I use a whole sweet onion, cut the top and bottom flat, skin it.  Then core it, but not all the way through.  Take a small paring knife and make a bunch of cuts from the inside towards the outside, this lets the flavour and juice get throughout the entire onion, sometimes I'll even quarter the onion (but not all the way through).

Most of the recipes I've seen call for one beef bouillon cube inside each onion, but I've never used more than 1/2 per.  Put that in the bottom of the cored hole, then spice it up.  I often drizzle siracha on the onion, garlic powder, S&P, and put a dollop of butter in the rest of the cored hole.

Place onion in a tinfoil bowl, leaving the top open to let the steam out.  I've cooked them from 1hr 10mins, to nearly 2 hours and always good, about 350*.

Very good!  My wife doesn't like onions much, and the first time I made these she said I could probably make them every time I turn the egg on.

Google whole grilled onions, or something like that and you'll find some variations.

Enjoy
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    @Monty13

The partridge I usually do very simple.  These two I put in a brine for a couple hours (I'm very new to brining and honestly haven't noticed a difference so far), then S&P, direct on the MM @350*.  I put a light coat of a bbq sauce at the end, total cook time is about 15 minutes at the most I think.  They don't very long.

I've always wanted to do a bunch for company because they present so good, especially if you had a table full of them... but the wife and I enjoy them quite a bit, and they're not always the easiest for me to get in the bag so we usually save them for ourselves.  One of our favourites for sure.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Thanks for the onion recipe ... I'll try it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Those onions do look good.  I've been ordered to do ABT's this week, and I'll give those a try along the side.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Congrats. Awesome maiden voyage. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL