Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat or Small Packer?

Options
tdub4
tdub4 Posts: 124
Wanting to smoke some brisket but would only be for 3 of us. So wondering if I should just go the route of a small packer or get a flat. Any thoughts for cooking for a small group??

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Flats are much more difficult because of the lower fat content.  I would cook a decent sized packer and freeze/use leftovers.  Brisket nachos are amazing.

Greensboro, NC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The point is the best. Buy a full sized packer, vac seal or ziplock the leftovers in large chunks and boil to reheat. It's awesome reheated this way and doesn't dry out the meat. I cook brisket for two....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've had great luck with flats. Mostly just because they are so much easier to find than packers.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your chances for a success are much better with a full packer. You will learn more, and if the flat comes out too dry you will probably still have the moist point to enjoy, and can use the flat for chili or chopped sandwiches.
    Gittin' there...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Don't know where you buy your meat, but if you are dealing with a good butcher ask about getting a whole packer split. Split the whole brisket with a vertical cut, take home the point end and leave the flat end for your butcher to sell to someone else.  Around here flats are popular and go for a premium so my butcher is willing to split it for me (of course it may also have something to do with have been a customer for over 25 years). 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.