Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump storage question

Options
Guitarzan
Guitarzan Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I will be picking up my large egg this saturday and can't wait. Any tips on what to store the lump in besides the bag. I plan to have my egg on our back porch that is not enclosed but has a roof. Any good water tight containers you can recomend? I love the sight and am looking forward to hanging out with you all.

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    Guitarzan,
    Welcome! I bought a storage box at Target that has room for a few bags of lump plus accessories I'm not using at the time. It doubles as a seat! Saturday is gonna be a great day![p]Paul

[ul][li]Storage Box[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Guitarzan,
    I also use a rubbermaid type of tub..[p]Wess

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Guitarzan,[p]Or any kind of trash can that suits your decor. [p]But be careful cooking under a roof - you can get some mighty hot air from the Egg, particularly if you TRex things and don't use the daisy wheel.
  • California Sooner
    Options
    Guitarzan,[p]I went to Target and bought three plastic bins. One big one for lump (it even has plastic wheels) and smaller ones for the wood chips and accessiories. They stack nicely in my shed but if you don't have a wife you could even leave them outside!<G>[p]Jim

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Guitarzan,[p]I bought a Kingsford bin at Target. It has a large opening for pouring out the lump. The top comes off to pour in the lump. It is the size of a large bag of briquettes (dare I say the word?). Only problem is you have to find someone to take the bag of briquettes with which it is loaded.
  • Guitarzan
    Options
    Haggis,thanks for the advice. that is a good point about grilling under a roof. I have three cieling fans on the porch, I wonder if that would move the heat around enough to prevent problems.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Guitarzan,
    I, stike, the cheapest dude on the forum, store mine next to the egg in a trash can. of course, it's near the real trash cans, which means once or twice a year after a cookout i'll open it to find someone tossed a paperplate and some schnutz or other in there thinking it WAS a trash can

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Guitarzan,
    I use 5 gallon buckets with "Gamma Seal" lids. DO a google on Gamma Seal and you will know what I mean.[p]I keep the bulk in the bags in the garage and only keep a bucket full near the egg.[p]Banker John

• Haggis
    Options
    Banker John,[p]These are cool. My (Asian) spouse keeps large bags of rice in 5 gallon pails in the garage. I've always been concerned about insects and mice - these lids might make me feel better about it!
  • Haggis
    Options
    Guitarzan,[p]Well, to make you feel better . . . I have no roof but installed a retractable vinyl awning to keep the sun away from our kitchen. When its raining I pull the Egg to the edge of the awning, but only barely under, until it gets started. Once the charcoal is reasonably lit, only the heaviest rain will cause problems so I push it back out again. But I sure wouldn't do a TRex under the awning - melted plastic isn't my thing! ;>)
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Haggis,
    We store whole grains in these and have not had any problems. Once attached to the bucket, getting into the bucket is VERY easy too. Well worth the money, IMO.[p]After seeing them when my wife ordered some for her grain buckets, I asked for a black one for my lump bucket for Christmas. [p]Banker John

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I store my lump in my old smoker. I keep my cooking tools in the firebox of the old smoker.
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    charcoal.jpg
    <p />Guitarzan,
    I use these and 5 gallon pickle buckets with lids. Works fine.

• Guitarzan
    Options
    Banker John, those are cool! Just think you could get 3 or 4 of them and seperate yor lump sizes!
  • Tujax
    Tujax Posts: 20
    Options
    gg_gen_sb_195a.jpg
    <p />Guitarzan,[p]You can always use the ole gasser!!

• Guitarzan
    Options
    Tujax,
    Gotta love it! hahahahaha