Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Either tell me to jump or.....

Options
Talk me off the ledge. 

I I have been wanting to get a mini and found what I think is a good deal. 

Heres the deal, the small does most of the work here at home for the 2 of us and the large either is wokking or cooking veggies during the week. My thoughts are that the mini could do the protein and the small handle the veggies.  This should get me quicker startup times.  

Do I buy a mini or am I just trying to justify it in my head???

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Do you have the cash to spare? If so, it will make you happy to have one.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Let's be honest. You've already made your decision. Looking forward to the pics of the mini
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I just bought one. I wasn't even looking. Saw it on CL ... negotiated price down to $200 ish.

Price is a major factor. I didn't need one, but now that I have mine ... I've decided buying it was a really good decision.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options

@Grege345 is right.  You know you want it.

Just do it.

That's why you've worked your tail off all these years!

(Me, I wouldn't bother.  It's just a slightly over-sized coffee mug

to my eyes.)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    Might as well jump. JUMP!!!

LBGE in PHX

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I went with the blackstone griddle over the mini.  Slightly cheaper than the mini with more cooking surface than an xl.  It has been a great addition. However if I see a deal on a mini I'm buying it. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    After I bought mine, I wasn't really sure how much I liked it. Took me a while to get the hang of it. Then I almost bought a second one a few weeks ago. Kind of regret passing it up now. Don't really need it but it sure is fun. 

Just go go get it!

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh no you don't!!!!  You're not going to tell the wife that the guys said you should buy it!!  Stand on your own two feet and just tell her you want it!

Edit ... the egg that is!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    If you are using the large to cook veggies for two you either need to stop using Miracle-Gro or you need a Mini.....

I'm guessing it's the latter.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Oh no you don't!!!!  You're not going to tell the wife that the guys said you should buy it!!  Stand on your own two feet and just tell her you want it!

Edit ... the egg that is!
    She knows it's prolly gonna happen.  It is what it is she says!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    So is it ok to drank?

analyze adapt overcome

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    This is like asking a room full of alcoholics if it's ok to have a drink. 
    Speaking of which...
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Just do it.  My wife won't let me buy one since I've probably spent 3 grand in the past 3 years on my addiction.  The bad thing is that I received my large as a wedding gift.  So basically I want to live vicariously through you. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Well then, let me entice you. Here's a recent cook. A full rack of baby backs!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @SoCalTim I like the ingenuity.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Six months ago, I was ready to sell my Mini. Then, I took it with me to my mom's house where I spent about three months taking care of the old girl. Used it almost nightly and absolutely LOVED it for two people. Got back home about the end of March and since then, have used my Large exactly ONCE. Never thought I'd be recommending a Mini, but there you go.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @carolina Q - tell me about some of the 2 people meals you made, please 

analyze adapt overcome

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I paid 400+ before any accessories....it was worth it. That is all... I now have the large and max so in the same boat with the max and small as a comparison.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mattman3969
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @SkinnyV - is the mini still in regular rotation? How many do you usually cook for?

analyze adapt overcome

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Way less now to be honest, but using a few times a month. The skillet Mickey has posted will increase that as the scallops and fish I blackened turned out great.
    Seattle, WA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    It's what your willing to spend.  I have a mini and it gets used the least out of my eggs.  I paid $150 for it used and could somewhat justify the price. Anything much more I'd pass.  It's a good little grill but for $400 is too steep in my opinion.  My little Weber Smokey Joe gets used 9/10 times between the mini and smokey.  I think it cost me $8 at a yard sale
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I will say i spent $400 because I had no exposure to egging or bge other than some forum stuff i saw. I figured the mini was the best way to break in, and Mickey and other posters on this forum sold me on it. Opened up the egging world to me.
    Fun times.

I got the MM new for $500 , and the large as a demo so i made up some ground on $$ spent.
    Seattle, WA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Go the full 10 yards and spring for the Mini Max.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @carolina Q - tell me about some of the 2 people meals you made, please 
    Pork chops, 2-4 depending on size, chicken thighs and/or breasts, small pork loins, spatched game hen, steaks and burgers of course. 10" grid, plenty of room to feed two people protein. Take a look at Leroy's "Magic Mini Moments" slideshows. They say it better than I can.

magic mini moments youtube

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If you want it and have the coin, do it! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    "Talk me off the ledge". Yeah right. "Here boy. I wanna another egg...comear. ..comnon...over here. 

I bought a mini max recently to compliment my large. Do it.  Don't look back. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    He who hesitates is lost. Go ahead make this the slow dance for the rest of your life. Never forget, Drink The Wine.
    Good for you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Get it. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.