Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti hopper 30

DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
I am sold on the hopper 30.  Such an amazing cooler.  Like everyone else I don't want to pay $350 for it.  Are there any deals that you know about?  I found where I can get a free side kick dry pouch for the side of the hopper but that doesn't reduce the cost any.  If you have any opinions please share them.  Otherwise, I'll just pay the $350.

thanks!!
Chester, MD

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Polar Bear Coolers...H20
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Obviously buying from a reputable source with free shipping and no state tax is the first step.  REI might be considered as a bargain after the 10% rebate at the end of the year.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2015
    I have the hopper 20 , 20% off at rei last weekend helped. Austin kayak offers coupons from time to time. I am looking to add the sidekick, that's $35 off at least.
    Seattle, WA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    +1 for REI. Used my member coupon and dividends to pick up a roadie for $70
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Photo Egg said:
    Polar Bear Coolers...H20
    I agree. @Mickey mentioned them last year and I got 2 when they had buy one get one. Polar Bear is amazing for the money. Having said that, I love my Yeti tumblers.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Photo Egg said:
    Polar Bear Coolers...H20
    I agree. @Mickey mentioned them last year and I got 2 when they had buy one get one. Polar Bear is amazing for the money. Having said that, I love my Yeti tumblers.
    I wonder how often they run the bogo
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Buy it.

You'll never think about the price again.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Definitely spring for the 30 over the 20. The 20 hold the a ton of beer, but the 30 has extra room for a couple sammies! 
  • Volegger
    Volegger Posts: 9
    If you're not dead set on the Yeti, take a look at Pelican coolers. Better latches, better handles. Never had a Yeti but LOVE my Pelican, made in the USA and lifetime warranty
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Volegger said:
    If you're not dead set on the Yeti, take a look at Pelican coolers. Better latches, better handles. Never had a Yeti but LOVE my Pelican, made in the USA and lifetime warranty
    Does Pelican make a soft sided cooler? I'm not very familiar with their line up. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I looked at the Hopper when I bought the Roadie. I liked it but I felt that the huge zipper would tear my forearm to shreds after a day's use. It was tight sticking my arm in one. Any Hopper owners experience this? 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    I looked at the Hopper when I bought the Roadie. I liked it but I felt that the huge zipper would tear my forearm to shreds after a day's use. It was tight sticking my arm in one. Any Hopper owners experience this? 
    I thought the same thing, but it seems to loose up after some use. I've had my Hopper 30 for about 6 months and I don't notice it anymore. 
  • SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    I like the size of the 20, easily hauled it around on a day trip we took. I anticipate the bag loosening over time...but its going to take a while that's for sure.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    chrisc133 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Polar Bear Coolers...H20
    I wonder how often they run the bogo
    Christmas and I think I just got an email.
    call them and ask, very nice lady
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    @Mickey She said that they run the sale once a year--but might not even run it this year.  Did your email indicate otherwise?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Guess not. One the road in the far north and Canada past two weeks and I'm old. Sorry
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I just ordered a Roadie, kicking myself because I forgot about REIs rebates with it. Still considering adding the bigger Hopper and or a Yeti 45.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    Ask Cen-Tex, he got some special deal where one came free with his car rental!  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Anyone have any experience with beer growlers and the hopper? And is it difficult to drain and dry, or clean the inside if needed?
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    growler fits in the 20. I've wiped down with a towel and stick something between zipper closing (ball) until its dried. No issues.
    Seattle, WA
  • Maybe it's just me but I think mine sucks. holds ice a day or so. Meh.....

If I paid $350 I would be so pissed. I got it for free and don't even like it. It's about $300 overpriced.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I'm a yeti guy too- just this one sucks. All the other stuff is great. 

• SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    Im bored and its nice out. Trying the rock salt trick from completely warm fit 18. Why not.
    Like an idiot i almost sold my roadie after getting the hopper, would have been a bad move i think.

Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV said:
    Im bored and its nice out. Trying the rock salt trick from completely warm fit 18. Why not.
    Like an idiot i almost sold my roadie after getting the hopper, would have been a bad move i think.

The rock salt deal works as advertised.  The only downfall is it turns the whole thing in to a block of ice and you have to chisel your beers out. They will be frozen on top when you do though.

• oh yeah...Hopper for sale :lol: 

• SkinnyV
    I thought it slushed the ice...i was planning on leaving em in over the next day or so as I drank them and see how it lasted.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV said:
    I thought it slushed the ice...i was planning on leaving em in over the next day or so as I drank them and see how it lasted.
    It lasts a lot longer but it does not slush the ice. It can freeze all your beers if you leave it real still so it's important the you get in there and agitate it by pulling beers out a regular intervals.

• SkinnyV said:
    I've never done it in a Yeti but we used to do it on Canoe trips all the time in crap coolers. It really works great. If you let it sit (like overnight) it would all freeze up in big chunks with beers enveloped. 

You will never have a colder beer. 
  • rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    I have the 30 and LOVE it....super easy to transport and lots of room.  
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • SkinnyV
    Well everything was warm when I started yeti and beers. Its slushing and in 30 mins first beer 30 degrees per the thermapen.
    Seattle, WA