Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Coffee Burr Grinders and French presses

Options
xiphoid007
xiphoid007 Posts: 536
I'm looking to get a burr grinder for coffee as well as a nice French press. I usually only make 1-2 cups for myself as my wife is a tea drinker, which I also could make with the French press.

For the burr grinder it would need to give a good, even coarse grind for the french press, buy also a superfine grind for rubs and espresso.

I welcome any and all suggestions!
Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have a Bodum and a Le Crueset French Press.

For grinders, the Baratza Virtuoso is a nice one for an auto grinder. 
  • RiverRatSkier
    RiverRatSkier Posts: 130
    Options

Can't go wrong with a Bodum French press.  I believe they make a double wall stainless version now for those who are good at breaking glass.

Capresso infinity conical burr grinder is a great adjustable grinder for an acceptable price point (compared to other models of conical burr grinders).  The electric ones are a bit loud.  There are several manual ones that work well too, I am just not familiar with them.

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Don't use the same grinder for coffee and rubs!!!! (trust me)

For burr grinders, Baratza and Capresso are the best for home use.

For coffee presses, why not an aeropress?  It is cheaper, more durable, faster, and does better at coffee competitions.

To nerd out to coffee advice, check out SCAA
  • RiverRatSkier
    RiverRatSkier Posts: 130
    Options
    I believe he wanted to grind coffee for rubs.  If you want to grind spices, then yes a separate grinder is a must.  Blade type coffee grinder will typically be sufficient for that.
  • xiphoid007
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Z_Eggineer I meant for grinding coffee for a rub. If i ground spices in the coffee grinder it would taste like and Indian restaurant forever.

I have a separate burr grinder for my spices.

I checked out the aeropess, but it still seems like I'll miss out on the crema, that nice foam that brews from freshly ground coffee. I've been using the melita cone brewer, which makes a fine cup, but that beautiful foam is thrown away.

Best part of the French press is no waste. Grounds go right into my compost.

Thanks for the advice!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    I have an Espro french press.  Double wall stainless and has two filters.  Does a nice job keeping the fines out of your cup.
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    French press is the best. I have several and the one that has held up the best, is one you can buy at any outdoors or sporting goods store. It is about $20.00 and I have literally carried all over the world. Impossible to break, it has an insulated cover to keep it warm, and takes a freaking pile of abuse. It is easy to maintain, works 100% every time.
    I have backpacked with it everywhere, and used it for coffee at home. I have owned this unit for 4 years and it has not missed a beat. Try it. Light weight, and dishwasher safe on all components.

Grimders, dunno. I use the coarsest grind for mine at the grocery, I use a 5:3 ratio of Dunkin Donuts to the cheapest house brand columbian supream. Works great! SWMBO loves it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    @YukonRon which French press are you talking about?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    Coffee nerd here. You can get crema with an Aeropress which, in my opinion, gives the best cup of coffee hands down. It's also incredibly easy to clean. I've used a french press, a moka pot, an Aeropress; I have a KA burr grinder modded out for espresso and a Pharos hand grinder that I use for my La Pavoni Euripiccola lever espresso machine. Get the Aeropress. Also, if you want to go full coffee geek get a Lido2 or Lido3 hand grinder.  If you want something inexpensive and relatively cool looking get the KA Burr grinder. I got mine off Amazon for $99 shipped. Good Luck!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GSI Outdoor Coffee Press. You can find them at Cabella's or other sporting goods stores. This is a possession I will never part with.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder. Does well for espresso up to French press grinds. I also like that there are many user replaceable parts in case it needs maintenance or repair. Mine is several years old, I assume the new ones are built as well.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon which French press are you talking about?
    I sent the information in a previous text, I just wanted to add one other bit of information for you to consider, this also performs better at grounds retention, than the most expensive models I have owned. No grounds nothing but liquid each pour. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    JohnB said:
    Coffee nerd here. You can get crema with an Aeropress which, in my opinion, gives the best cup of coffee hands down. It's also incredibly easy to clean. I've used a french press, a moka pot, an Aeropress; I have a KA burr grinder modded out for espresso and a Pharos hand grinder that I use for my La Pavoni Euripiccola lever espresso machine. Get the Aeropress. Also, if you want to go full coffee geek get a Lido2 or Lido3 hand grinder.  If you want something inexpensive and relatively cool looking get the KA Burr grinder. I got mine off Amazon for $99 shipped. Good Luck!
    Was just gonna recommend the Aeropress.  I have a couple other coffee makers and the Aero definitely gives me the smoothest and best tasting cup of the bunch.  Watch some youtube videos about the process to make sure you're on board with it before you buy but you're talking about a french press so this isn't much different.

IMO the key to good coffee with the Aero is proper water temperature.  Personally I just boil water and then let it cool for about 5 minutes.  Through testing with a thermometer I've found that gives me the right temp.  If you're really into coffee you may want to buy an electric kettle with a temp adjustment knob.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I have a Baratza Preciso and am extremely pleased with it. Check on their website for the demo models and get a very nice discount. These units are like new and have the same warranty as new. I could find nothing on mine to indicate it had been used. Great company to deal with.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Baratza Encore, Chef's Choice Kettle, and Frieling FP.  Good stuff. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Bodem is a nice daily press, leaves the right amount of fines as in true french press you never finish the cup. Krups burr grinder, everything from gravel to dust. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options
    Aero press easy, fast, and quick cleanup oh great coffee too 
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    @JohnB  how do you get crema with the aeropress? I've watched a ton of videos and it seems like the inverted method works well, but most videos still don't show crema. Do you have any tips?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    I would look into Espro for pressed coffee. Great dual filter for fine pressed coffee.  

http://espro.ca/shop

Not a fan of Bodem but that is personal preference. +1 on the aero press. It travels with me every week along with a thin reusable filter disc.

For a grinder, what is needed is one that provides a consistency in the grind which can be quite expensive. >$400.  My go to for daily usage is a hand grinder, Porlex (google). Uses ceramic conical burrs that will provide a consistent grind and allows smaller steps within settings to dial in your preferences. I have had the cheapo burr grinders and you can see the really fine grind vs the course grind under the same grind setting. Changes the flavor profile which might not matter to most. 

LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    @Eggerty what reusable filter do you use?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    Crema depends on grind and beans. You're not going to get the same kind of crema on a cup of coffee, regardless of the method, that you'll get with an espresso machine. It's been a while since I've used the AP, but I would suggest experimenting with the grind. I would think going about as fine as possible before choking the AP would be a good start to getting a head on your cup of coffee.
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    @JohnB  how do you get crema with the aeropress? I've watched a ton of videos and it seems like the inverted method works well, but most videos still don't show crema. Do you have any tips?
    Freshness of beans, type of beans and temp of water are critical.  TBH you're never going to get a crema with an aeropress like you do with a good machine.  It still tastes great, just skimpy crema (if any).
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    As an alternative to the french press, consider a Chemex or other pour-over pot.  We have both Chemex and Bodum french press (as well as stove-top moka pot and a Nespresso machine) and the best cup is always from the Chmex.