Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My HOA is ordering me to remove my Egg from the property

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    Wowens said:
    I'm good with my HOA, I think they strike a pretty good balance on issues.  My previous house did not have an HOA, and I lost about $20k when I sold it because of the condition of my neighbors houses.  If they would have mowed the grass, and not had a stack of pallets in their driveway, I would have had a little more money.
    You could have this same exact issue living in an HOA community.  Somewhere in the community there will be houses that back up to property not owned or controlled by the HOA.  If said property has a house or something on it not well maintained your sales price would suffer.  HOA is pretty much no win, they can only control the members, it only takes one PITA member of the entire community to make it hell on all and you have all the same issues that non HOA communities have and a lot of them the HOA can't even control or change for you.  The only good that can come from an HOA is amenities that they can provide for a pretty small fee, if they have them, pools, playgrounds, walking trails, etc.
    I suppose that this depends on the location of your community. Mine is a planned community that is bordered by a river on the back and left and 2 neighborhoods towards the front. You would never know the other neighborhoods are there because of the berms and rows of trees installed to separate us. Luckily, I have never noticed any "PITA" members in terms of rule-following. There is a walk-through done on a yearly basis to point out deficiencies(peeling/faded paint, damage, etc) and a letter is giving to the homeowner notifying them of this. As far a I know, most everyone complies as this is fully stipulated before you sign the contract on the house when moving in.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I've served on two HOA boards, and as President of both. It's a thankless job that I hated and will NEVER do it again. That said, in my experience all the HOA really wants is to protect property values. Of course there are examples of out of control HOA's and they ruin it for everyone else. I would start with talking to them in person and explaining, with facts, that the egg is one of the safest grills you can own. In both of my experiences the by-laws were written so the board can make changes at any time without home-owner input as long as the board was voted on by the homeowners and there was a quorum. Much like elected officials can change things without citizen input, we elected them to be our representatives. Anyway, if this doesn't work then you may have to send your own letters from an attorney. This will likely scare them away, very few would want to spend money on court costs. Best of luck, hopefully you are dealing with reasonable folks and they will make a reasonable decision.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I cut our neighbor's foreclosed lawn for two years while I watch the swimming pool turn interesting shades of black, brown, green and nuclear. Bitched at the HOA who did not do a thing. It was at the height of the recession, the bank owned it and didn't give a crap how it looked. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Boss_Hog
    Boss_Hog Posts: 11
    Options
    I'll bring money guns and lawyers and we'll save your Egg.  
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Or be selective with the Round-up and write something in the yard.....
    Writing with a gas can would be easier, I think. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    But not as ecologically responsible  ;)
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    My grandfather used to freeze round up in ice trays and throw them over the fence at night when the neighbor would complain to him about whatever the issue was that week.  Always makes me laugh and think of him when someone suggests this.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Table salt works the best. Nothing happens until it rains. Good luck growing grass there again! 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    @DoubleEgger he'll never cut it again now that you've started.  I'm surprised they didn't contract a landscaping company and send him the bill or fine him in the amount of the bill.  That's what most do.
    I knew that going in. HOA's are generally more bark than bite. They love writing letters but that's about it. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    My grandfather used to freeze round up in ice trays and throw them over the fence at night when the neighbor would complain to him about whatever the issue was that week.  Always makes me laugh and think of him when someone suggests this.  

Major recognition to gramps on that one!  I think I might try this!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• THEBuckeye
    Options

aukerns08 said:
    That's funny! I quoted my Grandfather at my daughter's wedding. His advice for a long and happy marriage? "stick with what you get stuck with". 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    @THEBuckeye Grandfather's are the best and smartest people around.  They always just tell it like it is with no sugar coating either.  Luckily mine are still around to teach me more everyday.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    bunch of haters!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Just get a propain grill light the deck on fire and prove your point.....

Added benefit, .....you get a new deck as well. That's opportunity to build in that new egg table.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    One of my grandfather's quotes seems pertinent here... "...just cause a bunch of people got together and wrote something down on paper doesn't make it right".

He usually would say this to the officer when he was getting one of his many speeding tickets, they always laughed. A few let him go. Yes, I was in the car for at least 10 of his "good driving awards".

He was a saint!! Just liked to drive fast.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... I thought your mother taught you not to play with fire like that!

So now you're using your shrubs for smoke wood?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... I thought your mother broke you of playing with fire!
    She did.  I'm doing yard work ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a fire-pit full of cut-off lumber from a couple projects.  Hmmmm....think I'm gonna fire that up.  Nevermind it's 81F.
    Options
    Any update on this situation?