Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need help with 2 questions

Options
1 - Cast iron grate worth it?  Do you use it basically for everything? 

2 - I always cook to temp but I find I have to flip my meat over more than I would like.  I would love to be able to simply flip things like chops, burgers, steaks, etc just one time and keep the grill marks looking good.  I always have trouble knowing how long per each side and I know there are several variables - thickness of meat, temp, etc. Any advice for a noob?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Regarding grid marks, you soon learn they look nice, but in reality actually do more to harm the cook than to help it. The desired result for direct grilled protein is a mahogany finish without grid marks. Flip flip and flip again often produces the best result. 
    CI grid is great for grid marks and I use it to add eye candy on veggies and fruits. I use the CI grid with the pointy side up for veggies. Just my way of doing things....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    The only cast iron I use are my skillets and griddles.  Wife would kill me if I tried to say that I needed this CI grate, but I had to keep it inside to keep it from rusting out.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Further, according to APL and in my experience, more flipping "roughs up" the meat and gives more opportunity for flavor to get in the meat, whether in the form of smoke, basting, surface area for charring, or whatever.  It certainly doesn't make it as pretty, but it tastes better.
    NOLA
  • TDogg46
    TDogg46 Posts: 56
    Options
    So the CI grate does nothing for flavor? Does it decrease cooking time by being hotter?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Grill marks are over rated.  Good eye candy, but for taste you really want uniform browning.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• TDogg46
    TDogg46 Posts: 56
    Options
    Sweet...so I've been doing things right!!  I had always heard that you didn't want to "flip" more than you had to. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    TDogg46 said:
    So the CI grate does nothing for flavor? Does it decrease cooking time by being hotter?
    IMO, the grid marks appear quicker as the grid has more thermal mass than a SS or porcelain grid. IOW, a CI grid is not hotter, it just hold the heat longer. Do not think the use of a CI grid significantly reduces the overall cook time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    For me personally the cast iron grate is not worth it, I've had them in the past on different grills and didn't even bother with one for the egg.

Grill marks are for looks only.  They definitely make the food look pretty but do little to nothing for taste and adding flavor.  I don't worry about having them.  I just want a nice sear on the outside of the meat when I'm searing to add a layer of flavor.  When I'm searing at really high temps I'll put the meat on and close the lid for 2-3 minutes, open it up and rotate the meat 90 degrees, close the lid for another 2-3 minutes then flip and repeat then check for temp.  If I'm at temp or close enough I'll pull and only flip once if it needs to go longer I'll keep an eye on each side and flip as need to avoid burning the outside.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited May 2015
    Options
    TDogg46 said:
    Not exactly nothing. It provides good flavor where the grill marks are, but not in the area between the marks. The grill marks make up 30-40% of the surface, leaving the majority overcooked with less of the favorable browning.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    For a good sear on steaks that does add flavor is a really hot CI skillet with some butter, or your choice of grease and some flavorings such as balsamic. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would rather sear at 800 dome with the stainless grate, with the cast iron 800 is too high of a temp and needs to be backed down, this means the flame isnt kissing my steak which i want. with burgers watch the top for juices pooling up, then flip and watch them pool up again, thats how to cook a one flip burger. i trex steaks so 800 degree sear a cross pattern both sides, take it of the egg and let it rest til the egg gets down below 400 and finish the steaks up roasting
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    So would using a CI Plate Setter (legs down) give you the best of both worlds? Smokey/Grill Flavor but even carmelization all the way around?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    To each his own. I love my CI grid. I use it pretty much exclusively. I dont get many complaints over my food so I guess I better break it to my family and friends I've been doing it all wrong. Who knew?

Little Rock, AR

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I use the cast iron grid for 90+% of my cooks. I keep it clean, and well seasoned, like all my other iron. It's tough, durable, and looks the same use after use, unlike the steel grate that looks like it's been through hell already and will never be "like new" again.

I like that I can use it upside down for fish and veggies and get a flat surface.

I eat 50% with my eyes, so my grill marks are dark, well defined, and wide.

For me, iron is the best cooking surface inside and outside. I don't use it in the microwave, but just about everywhere else, including the toaster oven.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @DieselkW what's your cleaning technique for the cast iron grate?  Part of why I like the steel is ease of use.  I just burn it off to clean and don't have to worry about keeping it seasoned really.  That's really the only reason I don't use Cast Iron grates, I get good results with steel and it's simple to clean.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    @DieselkW what's your cleaning technique for the cast iron grate?  Part of why I like the steel is ease of use.  I just burn it off to clean and don't have to worry about keeping it seasoned really.  That's really the only reason I don't use Cast Iron grates, I get good results with steel and it's simple to clean.
    I brush it clean every use, sometimes sticky sweet bbq sauce requires me to burn it off, then re-season. I clean it the same way as the steel grate, with a wire brush.

Best way to season a CI grate, I've found, is to put some Crisco deep into the wire brush, then brush the hot grate. The Crisco will form a thin layer and spread out. When the entire grid is "wet" looking, I close the lid, bring it up to 600f, then shut the vents and walk away.

Two hours later, clean and seasoned grill for next cook.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can sous vide your steaks to however you want them done then put some purdy grate marks on them (hot!).  I guess you would call this a reverse sear.

Hot tub if you don't have a sous vide - use a thermometer and pan of water on the stove.   If you like your steaks MR, keep the water around 128 for an hour or so, depending on thickness.
    Options
    One word. ..mangrates 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    henapple said:
    One word. ..mangrates 
    STOP!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options

For a good sear on steaks that does add flavor is a really hot CI skillet with some butter, or your choice of grease and some flavorings such as balsamic. 
    Lately have been using clarified butter, PITA to make it from unsalted butter, but well worth the effort. Local ghee is flavoured...not good.