Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Questions from a Beginner

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1) Any good ideas for dealing with the grill and platesetter when loading and starting the egg? Seems like I get greasy and make a mess with that grill when I pull it out. The platesetter likewise has a lot of grease and burned products on it and those fall all over when it is removed. How are you all dealing with that situation? Any clever ideas on where to hang the grill and/or the platesetter when loading? Yes, its a little whiny, I still love the egg and I know others have thought of a solution.[p]2) Sunday the egg got away from me with some fresh lump and was up to about 700 degrees before I knew what was up. Too high for my required 350 temp. What is the best way to cool off an egg that is in pre-flare up mode without killing the fire completely? Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• OctoberGlory
    Options
    Hi cpbatl,

I keep a fire brick on my table next to the egg and a fire brick on the lower shelf near the bottom of the egg. When I pull my grate off I simply set it on the fire brick. Same with the plate setter which goes on the other fire brick. When the bricks start to look a little nasty put them in the egg for a high temp clean. Simple and works great!

To drop the temp quick I close both vents to snuff out the fire then crack both slightly. Once the egg has "burped" open the top and let all that heat escape.

Enjoy your egg.

OctoberGlory
    Cumming, GA
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    tchilo.gif
    <p />cpbatl,
    If you close the vents, 700 degrees will get down to 350 degrees within 6-14 minutes depending on how long you let it stay at 700. The graph above should give you an idea. The upper line was after the cooker had been at 700 degrees for about 5 minutes. Of course, if you left it even longer, the curves would be stretched out further to the right. Don't worry, the fire won't be out when you get down to 350. Just open the vents and let it re-establish itself and you should be good to go.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Essex County
    Options
    cpbatl,
    I think most of us have had these problems. See my post just 1 thread down. The deck box I got from Target has enough room for me to put the platesetter in, feet down, on a sheet of newspaper. Others cover the platesetter with foil and just pitch that out after the cook. As for the grid, some eggers have a hook they use to keep the grid out of the way. I have found that I can carefully lean the grid against a rainspout on my deck. I get small dark line on the deck and another one on the rainspout. Both are not prominent unless you look for them. Every 6 or 8 cooks, I scrub all this stuff down with one of those scrubby things that looks like an uncomfortable curly stainless steel wig for a daschund. Bottom line, there is a bit of mess but the egg disassembles pretty nicely.
    Have fun!
    Paul

• Essex County
    Options
    Essex County,
    ...while I was writing my response, my egg (just a few feet away on the deck) shot past my 350 target and is now at 600! Now the bottom vent is about an inch open and the daisy wheel is set where it should have been!

• cody
    cody Posts: 20
    Options
    cpbatl,
    1) I cleaned my platesetter with a scraper the other day.[p]2) I filled my firebox with fresh hard lump, lit, and then my cat hurt herself so I forgot about the egg, when I came back the egg was at around 2200 degrees, 2200!! Fried the gasket and temp guage, the outside of the egg burned the table!!! now thats hot! so 700 is nothing, I replaced the gasket today with a rutland

[ul][li]http://<a href=[/ul]
  • cody
    cody Posts: 20
    Options
    Table burn pics

[ul][li]http://<a href=[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cpbatl,
    best way to not go above 350m when you want 350 is to light the egg and put the daisy right on top dialed in roughly to 350.[p]it won't get away from you, because it'll cap out at whatever you set it for. best part, it doesn't slow the fire down and make it take longer to get up to temp, because it is never calling for more draft than it can deliver until it gets to the temp you have it set for.[p]you might overshoot by 50 degrees, but you'll never overshoot by 400

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Essex County,[p]For $100 I bought a stainless utility table at Costco. Two shelves (top and lower) and hooks on the side. Sorta like you'd use in a commercial kitchen. Works fine for throwing stuff on, the hooks hold the crappy grill or whatever.
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    cpbatl,[p]I put the dirty grill and plate setter in my gasser while setting up the BGE.[p]Stike's idea is the best for temp control. A good rule of thumb is to never leave the egg unattended in the wide open condition, even when doing T-Rex. Just a phone call, beer run or minor distraction and wham, its up to 1000 degrees.[p]I've also burned food accidentally because the Daisy went wide open when lifting the lid, and I didn't notice until it was too late. I learned Whiz' trick the hard way about orienting the Daisy so it will "default" to closed when the lid is opened.[p]Woody54[p]
  • cpbatl,
    just throw some fresh lump on the fire, close the lower vent,and set your daisy; the fire will cool down almost immediately