Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Any gardeners out there?

Options

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    will do.   I have been "desuckering" over the last couple of weeks.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Tomatoes are getting tall already!  Getting some blooms on them too.  

Peppers and cucumbers are doing well too.  I hope to get a cucumber off here soon (maybe next week).  They're starting to find and climb the fence now.  

I still need to top my peppers, but really hate to now since blooms have formed and some have small peppers on it already. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    We have been getting rain every day and I think all the water has killed all my zucchini plants. They all have turned yellow and shriveled up to almost nothing  

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    tz666 said:
    We have been getting rain every day and I think all the water has killed all my zucchini plants. They all have turned yellow and shriveled up to almost nothing  
    put a TB spoon of baking soda in a gallon pump up sprayer with water and give them a spray. Better yet post a pic and I might be able to offer some more advice. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Mine too @tarheelmatt. Everything doing well. Have over 50 tomatoes on plants. The pepper plants I topped have multiple peppers. The ones I didn't top have zero just flowers. Got squash on and several cukes. 
  • Chubbs
    edited May 2015
    Options

Not sure why the other pic won't post
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its still too cold to plant here.....waiting.....waiting....waiting =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Chubbs your setup is regal!  I like your support systems.  My tomatoes will be very tall again this year I think.  Will possibly do what you said and just cut them back.  

Believe I will top some of my peppers that don't already have blooms or peppers already to give that a shot.  They just didn't form the "V" like I have read about and when it did, the blooms were already present.  Probably doesn't matter, which I have read too, but feels weird.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    This is a very helpful video channel on gardening. This may help give you a good visual about pruning tomatoes and peppers. https://youtu.be/sNFbWD2YBfw
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I'm way jelly of you guys in the south.  The forecast here calls for frost and or possible freeze tonight.  I've been watching the forecasts trying to find a good time to plant.  Perhaps this is the last cold snap.  I'm planting Saturday.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I'm way jelly of you guys in the south.  The forecast here calls for frost and or possible freeze tonight.  I've been watching the forecasts trying to find a good time to plant.  Perhaps this is the last cold snap.  I'm planting Saturday.
    my truck is loaded up to head north with all the plants, tonight looks like the last cold one for the next week and will plant tomorrow, next week we will probably see some of these guys picking veggies
    fukahwee maine

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Just so i don't make a mistake - when we are talking about topping our peppers we are talking about bell peppers as well as hot peppers right? The YouTube side by side a guy did makes topping the incredibly more productive choice and I'm doing it this weekend...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Chubbs
    Options
    Just so i don't make a mistake - when we are talking about topping our peppers we are talking about bell peppers as well as hot peppers right? The YouTube side by side a guy did makes topping the incredibly more productive choice and I'm doing it this weekend...
    Yes. All peppers. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @Chubbs your setup is regal!  I like your support systems.  My tomatoes will be very tall again this year I think.  Will possibly do what you said and just cut them back.  

Believe I will top some of my peppers that don't already have blooms or peppers already to give that a shot.  They just didn't form the "V" like I have read about and when it did, the blooms were already present.  Probably doesn't matter, which I have read too, but feels weird.  
    Thanks! A lot of work has gone into it. Definitely feels weird topping them. Especially when you grow them from seed and baby them for a few months. Good luck and keep us posted
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @fishlessman, won't be picking veggies for a while! Sure wish we were

• Chubbs
    Options
    Dredger said:
    This is a very helpful video channel on gardening. This may help give you a good visual about pruning tomatoes and peppers. https://youtu.be/sNFbWD2YBfw
    That is exactly how I do it. I do it when they are young like that too so they get a wide sturdy start
  • Dredger
    Options
    Especially when you grow them from seed and baby them for a few months.

Lol @Chubbs, we also grow in Aerogardens, so pruning is necessary. The first time can be scary, but you get used to it.

Slightly OT, but you guys may get to see my garden on the news tonight. Seems two people were driving around several nearby neighborhoods stealing mail from people's mailboxes. They were stopped just at the corner of our lot. The police and FBI have been out there in huge numbers for a couple of hours and the road is completely blocked off while they are processing evidence. Where is that Michael Jackson popcorn picture when I need it, lol. Talk about stupid thief tricks.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Where is that Michael Jackson popcorn picture when I need it, lol. 

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I Googlez Imagezd "Michael Jackson popcorn", and wth there's a whole weird world out there!   :o

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Dredger
    Options
    @Botch that is too funny and very appropriate since we were expecting an ammo delivery via UPS. The UPS driver parked on the next street and walked down to deliver the package. He said they had been told to watch out for the car and to report it if they saw it. Things are back to normal now and the road is clear. Gotta love quick response times by the excellent policemen here.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Yes. All peppers. 
    Gracias. Done today. Even with some having blooms and a few babies on the stem. Took each one below the Y, and about halfway down the ones that hadn't gotten a Y yet... Here's hoping!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Got blooms on the peppers, a couple of squash forming, one well formed cucumber with more trying and a handful of tomatoes. Wouldn't have even tried if you hadn't posted this. Thanks. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Got blooms on the peppers, a couple of squash forming, one well formed cucumber with more trying and a handful of tomatoes. Wouldn't have even tried if you hadn't posted this. Thanks. 
    Good luck man! I read today to add some Epsom salt to peppers once blooms start. I tried it today. No fruit yet on the plants I didn't top. All of the ones I topped have fruit. Look forward to your results topping at a later age. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Good luck man! I read today to add some Epsom salt to peppers once blooms start. I tried it today. No fruit yet on the plants I didn't top. All of the ones I topped have fruit. Look forward to your results topping at a later age. 
    Lazily not googling here...

is is that magnesium for the pepper itself, or a deterrent for pests and varmints who might damage the plant? Epsom salts were a recommended defense against my backyard marmot last fall...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• fishlessman
    edited May 2015
    Options
    almost done planting, i see some spots in there for cabbage =)
    string beans,cukes, dill, hot pepper clipped in half, thyme, oregano, thai basil, and sunflower in pot one

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    edited May 2015
    Options
    pot two and three are big boy, early girl, jetstar, and heinz for the maters, two more hot peppers, sweet basil, kale

and cantelope down by the water near the crandberries

and someone spot burned my  secret fishing spot, was out there by 4am, when the sun came out it was getting crowded =)

fukahwee maine

• Chubbs
    Options
    Looking good @fishlessman! Glad you can see grass now!
  • Chubbs
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Harvested a few carrots for tonight salad . Hard to beat hitting your own veg patch
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Should I top my bell pepper plants?  They aren't even a foot tall yet but seeing some bud on the top already.  
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    First pick of the season. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    almost done planting, i see some spots in there for cabbage =)
    string beans,cukes, dill, hot pepper clipped in half, thyme, oregano, thai basil, and sunflower in pot one

I'd keep an eye on the sunflower; they get BIG and I don't think I'd try to plant one in a pot, even by itself.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month