Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My mini indirect setup with 6 pic’s

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGEMiniaccessories004.jpg
<p />

BGEMiniaccessories006.jpg

This is my mini plate setter I made from a BGE pizza stone. I like to cook indirect for much of my egging and I thought…..why not for the mini? Here it is, my indirect setup.

BGEMiniaccessories007.jpg

I built a raised grid to work in combination with my plate setter.

BGEMiniaccessories011.jpg

I can use a small aluminum cake pan as a drip pan.

BGEMiniaccessories009.jpg

I cut three small feet from excess stone to support a small iron pan.

BGEMiniaccessories010.jpg

Or for individual pizzas and breads, a perforated pizza pan!!![p]Ok, now I can start some serious cookin on my little mini...... :o)
Clay[p][p] [p]

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ClayQ,
    COOL!!!!!!
    Now please tell us just how you cut that pizza stone!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Any problem having pizza stone material direct above lump? Somewhere I read this can considered a sin and result in exploding stones. I have avoided same but I think the pizza stone would heat better without any baffle.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Ooooh, Aaaah. I want one. I'm drooling! When does production begin? Can I place my order now?[p]Smokey

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Very, very nice.[p]Spin
  • Clay Q
    Options
    RRP,
    I have blisters on my fingers, it was a lot of work.[p]Started out with a design idea and made several drawings, transfered the final drawing to the stone and then using my right angle grinder with a masonry cutting disc started to carefully cut away. Then I switched to my die grinder. Then I used a series of hand files, then emery cloth to sand smooth.
    Clay

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    00e8f14a.jpg
    <p />ClayQ,[p]WHAT??.....A plate setter/grate mod without ANY welding??? [p]Seriously, you did a very nice job on that. A Sandbagger style grate extender ring would sure go good with that set-up. Here is one I built from his idea for my small, it sits on the top of the fire ring.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ClayQ,
    Thanks for the pictures, a very nice job indeed.[p]Regards,
    Bordello

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    thirdeye, How you do you like the rig? I love using mine on the large egg for raised grid cooking. As soon as I can get the brackets plasma cut, I am going to make one for my medium egg too. Tom[p]

• Sandbagger,
    The one you made for my XL is perfect...
    That is a monster ring and the fit is 100%...
    Please keep me in mind for a large.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Photo Egg, I have not forgot and am working on it. I got the prototype bracket drawing loaded into AutoCad and at the fab shop to be plasma cut. I know you want the basic one tier rig, but I think you'll enjoy the flexibility of the multi-level rig. If not, I'll still make what you want. T

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ClayQ,
    well, it shows perfection from any angle, but from you that is no surprise! Good work, Clay! Curious...did you ever sense it was going to crack or was your wheel aggressive and the fired ceramic soft by comparison? I suppose you kept the working edge well supported and probably clamped to a table or board as you ground away...right?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Great job.
    I made mine several years back & use it quite a bit for indirect & mini (individual) pizza
    3467343%3C7%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B2%3E586%3Ewsnrcg%3D323248%3C%3B825%3A3nu0mrj
  • Clay Q
    Options
    RRP,
    Yup. Vibration can upset ceramic integrity and...crack. Interestingly, the pizza stone had areas that were softer than other areas. Grinding dust was everywhere, I was covered with grit. I wore dust mask, face shield, hearing protectors, leather gloves when cutting. The garden shed took a hit with dust as I was set up in front of it.
    Still, I enjoyed the work....and the fun of making my very own mini plate setter. After all, I'm an egghead. he he
    Clay

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    ClayQ,
    That is really impressive! Great work on this. I'll bet there are a bunch of mini owners out there who would love to see you set up shop!!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]I love mine. It allows a lot of variety for direct cookin' on my small, especially for chicken, fish and sausage. Plus, it is out of the way when I drop my plate setter in.[p]What are the brackets you mentioned?? Mine is just the basic stainless wire frame, 2-1/2" or 3" high.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Clay,

That's a great setup. How powerful was your grinder. I have a cracked platesetter that is missing one of its legs. I'd like to cut/grind it into a XL pizza stone. Plus it gives me a reason to buy a new power tool.

Rollocks
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    That pretty cool, Clay.... just can't sit still, can ya? :~)[p]john