Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: I can still cook on a kettle grill!

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Visited my sister over the long weekend. My teen niece and nephew always want ribs with mac n cheese, so that was the plan for one of the meals while were there. They have a Weber OTG, so I was a little concerned about being able to fit 4 racks of baby backs on it, but I planned ahead and took a rib rack with me i my suitcase. Luckily, the TSA didn't snag it. :)

Banked RO lump against 2 sides, and fired up half a chimney of lump to spread at one end of each pile of lump. Pecan chips for smoke. Top and bottom vents cracked just a sliver. Was able to maintain 225°F for an hour, then bumped it up to 275°F because I didn't have a lot of time. Racks were rubbed with DP Swamp Venom and extra garlic powder. 

Wrapped in foil for about 45mins at the 2.5 hr mark. Then unwrapped, sauced with Blues Hog regular, and left on the grill for another 20mins or so. They looked like ribs at the end of it all.

No cut pics or fork shots. They turned out pretty damn good though! Nice smoke flavor and the texture was just right.

Back in Houston now, wondering how well my house will float. Hope everyone had a good weekend with friends and family.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks really good from here. Hope that your house is in much better condition then so many I have seen. Flooding is the worst.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Great looking cook. I hope your house is ok. Please keep us posted. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Those ribs look amazing!  I don't care what they're cooked on if they look that good.  Nice job!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Definitely looks like you still know your way around a kettle.  Great looking ribs.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Great looking ribs.  Makes me think about maybe cooking something on WSM sometime soon.  We have not had rain for the first day in a long time and I bet you guys in Texas are tired of it too.  Hope everything is ok with the homestead.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Very nice...but with your skills you could cook 4 racks of ribs over a coffee can filled with tree bark...lol
    Welcome back to the swamp.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    WeberWho? said:
    You know you're hard core when you are traveling with rib racks in your luggage. That's awesome!  
    I had rehearsed answers to the questions "what is this thing?" and even took pictures of the box to show the TSA if asked!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    No fork! 

Well done! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• caliking
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. Fortunately for us, we didn't have flooding in our immediate area, but the next few suburbs did. The city has been a mess though - a few deaths, 2500 cars abandoned, many many homes and people affected. The water has receded quite a bit today, but there still some highways affected.

• caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    Very nice...but with your skills you could cook 4 racks of ribs over a coffee can filled with tree bark...lol
    Welcome back to the swamp.
    Thanks for the compliment, Darian. I was happy to be back in the humidity. I felt like a raisin out there. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    I have a kettle.  You are welcome to bring your rib rack and cook on it at any time.  I'll just need a small tariff in return.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited May 2015
    we missed you last weekend. 20 stone crushed a wagyu rib roast from Revival, we ate way too much charcuterie from there and you must (repeat must) get him to break out the Black Manhattans next time you are drinking together. holy cow those were good. Should be back down within a month or so to pick up something I'm going to have to join another forum for :smiley: 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • He and Mrs. Stone know how to throw a party...and it starts with breakfast. Revival bacon, homemade hashbrowns, eggs, homemade biscuits, and lots of bubbly. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That looks really nice @caliking.  Just goes to show its the cook and not the cooker!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    I'd eat all of that! Nice!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have a 20 year old Weber Performer (charcoal kettle grill with propane lighter) that I have yet to part with. I bought a medium, as it is just the wife and I at home these days. I hold on to the Weber, but it has sat ideal since my early March BGE purchase. Anyway, its good to know that it appears to be like riding a bike.....may have to use the ol kettle one day for a larger burger cooking.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited May 2015
    Big deal. ..how many beers did you steal? @caliking
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice ribs. The only thing I've done on a kettle is grill.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Heck yeah! Further proves the cook outweighs the cooker. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    He and Mrs. Stone know how to throw a party...and it starts with breakfast. Revival bacon, homemade hashbrowns, eggs, homemade biscuits, and lots of bubbly. 

Dang! Don't rub it in... I slobbered a fair bit when I saw the pic of the meat.

@20stone offered to meet me by Pitmaker to help me spend my money. I told him you had already raised it to an art form.

• caliking
    I have a 20 year old Weber Performer (charcoal kettle grill with propane lighter) that I have yet to part with. I bought a medium, as it is just the wife and I at home these days. I hold on to the Weber, but it has sat ideal since my early March BGE purchase. Anyway, its good to know that it appears to be like riding a bike.....may have to use the ol kettle one day for a larger burger cooking.

My old ss top Performer is still my favorite Weber. I use it for discada cooks every now and then. Just not as much as I used to in the pre-BGE era.

• caliking
    @henapple - you're so picky about the damn details. Folks were lucky that the cook was over before the sauce kicked in.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Ribs look great man, glad you got to spend some time with the fam.

Refreshing for me to go from an 18.5" grate on the large, to the Weber's 22.5".  Even contemplated replacing my small camping egg and table with the OTG.  Moving the egg and table from patio to the truck, from truck to picnic table, the table to truck, and finally back to the patio is a process.

Stay safe and dry down there.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking said:
    He and Mrs. Stone know how to throw a party...and it starts with breakfast. Revival bacon, homemade hashbrowns, eggs, homemade biscuits, and lots of bubbly. 

@20stone offered to meet me by Pitmaker to help me spend my money. I told him you had already raised it to an art form.

we reserved you a spot at Pitmaker. They are expecting you...

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    You've got mad skizzles on display there.  

I use my Weber at the beach, but upgraded to RO.  Haven't tried ribs or anything l&s, but it's upped my game on everything else (mostly steaks and sausage, bc that's how we roll down there).
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    caliking said:

My old ss top Performer is still my favorite Weber. I use it for discada cooks every now and then. Just not as much as I used to in the pre-BGE era.
    I have loved mine over the years. I am finding some parts hard to find now. I replaced my tank before they discontinued them.....I am guessing the price point of the old models were such that they were too expensive for many consumers. The current Performers are less expensive and not as stable if you ask me. Mine has cooked many a meal and I have taken good care of it. I am holding on to it for now. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    caliking said:

Sending pictures of meat is how I do party invitations.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX