Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My HOA is ordering me to remove my Egg from the property

Options

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Just get a propain grill light the deck on fire and prove your point that that would have never happened had they allowed you to keep your egg. Sometimes you just have to stand up and prove your point. 

If if it were me I could see me spending 10K in lawer fees just to keep a 900.00 egg.

1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    Just get a propain grill light the deck on fire and prove your point that that would have never happened had they allowed you to keep your egg. Sometimes you just have to stand up and prove your point. 

If if it were me I could see me spending 10K in lawer fees just to keep a 900.00 egg.

Name well earned :giggle: 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Don't have a HOA in my subdivision but, I respect my neighbors and likewise. We've never had any of our neighbors complain of smoke. Especially when we invite them over to eat. We only get the sad pouty look when they smell Q and don't get the call to come on over :lol::tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Class_of_75
    Class_of_75 Posts: 49
    Options
    https://youtu.be/vrrpOU6Ewrk

No drilling required.

The man who created this video gave himself the option to cook with either propane or charcoal without altering the Egg in any way. That would be a great fallback position for me. I visited his YouTube channel, but there's no way to get in touch with him. Others have tried; there are many comments where people are looking for the plans for the device he fabricated. This is way above my skill level, unfortunately. I wouldn't know where to start.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Don't know what HOA stands for, but one thing is sure.  I am damn sure glad I will never have one.   When I can't maintain my own home, or do pretty much what I want in and around it, it's time for a nursing home, or home-home, preferably the latter.  My dad turns 70 this month, and I know better than to ask him if I can start taking care of things around his house.  He just changed an expansion tank, solenoid, and starter on his T-Bird.  His dad ran a lumber mill and farmed, was much worse. 

Only advice I can offer here, move.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Fuk dat 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Some interesting information from the NFPA on fires involving outdoor grills.

"Four out of five grills involved in home fires (82%) during 2007-2011 were fueled by gas, while 16% used charcoal or other solid fuel."

Full details at:
    http://www.nfpa.org/research/reports-and-statistics/fire-causes/appliances-and-equipment/cooking-equipment
    Link to pdf report is on this page.  Grill information starts on page 129 of the report.

They also point out that gas grill sales passed charcoal grill sales in 1995. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Or $13,000 worth of eggs... lol

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Class_of_75 I would look into a burner for an RV water heater.  Should be small, round, and run on propane.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Class_of_75
    Class_of_75 Posts: 49
    Options
    @Class_of_75 I would look into a burner for an RV water heater.  Should be small, round, and run on propane.
    Great idea. Will do.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Buy the biggest f'n annoying gas grill you can find if the egg doesn't pass.  I'd roll this halfway across my yard into the neighbors and ask them if they're happy?  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    If you have to go gas, seems like you could buy one of these and harvest the burner parts. Might work without a lot of modification.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-square-single-burner-outdoor-patio-stove-range-sq14/554BPSQ16.html

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    if you google propane burner parts theres a tone of cast iron burners you can slip in thru the lower vent,  then you need a pressure hose and regulator which are sold in the same places. the only thing you would need to mak is a drip plate to sit over it and maybe something to catch the grease

this place has what you would need but the problem i see with an egg and propane is the grease
    http://www.tejassmokers.com/castironburners.htm

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Does anybody know why he had to modify the daisy wheel for this gas conversion? Maybe that was just a safety measure so the daisy wheel couldn't close completely while in use? 

...by the way this is just curiosity on my part.  I have no plans to do a gas conversion on my egg :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Does the HOA allow electric pellet grills? I would cook on a pellet grill before I went back to gas. I kinda like the looks of this one
     http://blackolivegrill.com/products/pellet-grill-l/

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Buy the biggest f'n annoying gas grill you can find if the egg doesn't pass.  I'd roll this halfway across my yard into the neighbors and ask them if they're happy?  
    If his HOA was doing this just to be a bunch of pricks and spiteful I would totally agree.  From the description we've been given we don't have all the information yet and it seems as if the HOA's hands are being tied by the insurance company.  Either way it still completely sucks.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Ya know maybe we should take up a legal fund for this poor guy who is gonna loose his egg over politics. It's not like he was dumb enough to tie his dog up to let it get pulled over and broke. 

And lets face it if the OPs wife was posting this everyone would want to help. I say help for a good reason. I would be in if anyone else agrees.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    See if it's a slow news day at your local television station. They might just run a story on it.
    Gittin' there...
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Well, if you're going to really tweak the locals, you could bring in this unit.  And yes, there are 12 doors on this side and 12 doors on the other side of the smoker.  Salesman said it holds four tons of meat.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Ya know maybe we should take up a legal fund for this poor guy who is gonna loose his egg over politics. It's not like he was dumb enough to tie his dog up to let it get pulled over and broke. 

And lets face it if the OPs wife was posting this everyone would want to help. I say help for a good reason. I would be in if anyone else agrees.
    Need to see pictures of the letter, the egg, and the patio. ;)
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Need to see pictures of the letter, the egg, and the patio. ;)

thats right, pic or it didn't happen.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    No offense to those that do but this is why I could never live in a HOA controlled joint. I am a color outside the lines type of guy and enjoy confrontation in certain circumstances. I would become the neighbor from hell in this case. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I actually served on my HOA when I was in townhouse living. Definitely a miserable job that I got guilted into because few others would take it on. Thankfully, we had very little controversy and I found our HOA board members all wanted to not do it which made us the perfect board. We did not care about power or enforcing to the letter of the law but more the spirit of the law. We had some unpopular and controversial stuff go on too. Two years and done for me thankfully. Hopefully I never have to experience HOA on any level after that. Now I live on a farm and have no real neighbors. Much better.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm good with my HOA, I think they strike a pretty good balance on issues.  My previous house did not have an HOA, and I lost about $20k when I sold it because of the condition of my neighbors houses.  If they would have mowed the grass, and not had a stack of pallets in their driveway, I would have had a little more money.
  • aukerns08
    Options
    Wowens said:
    I'm good with my HOA, I think they strike a pretty good balance on issues.  My previous house did not have an HOA, and I lost about $20k when I sold it because of the condition of my neighbors houses.  If they would have mowed the grass, and not had a stack of pallets in their driveway, I would have had a little more money.
    You could have this same exact issue living in an HOA community.  Somewhere in the community there will be houses that back up to property not owned or controlled by the HOA.  If said property has a house or something on it not well maintained your sales price would suffer.  HOA is pretty much no win, they can only control the members, it only takes one PITA member of the entire community to make it hell on all and you have all the same issues that non HOA communities have and a lot of them the HOA can't even control or change for you.  The only good that can come from an HOA is amenities that they can provide for a pretty small fee, if they have them, pools, playgrounds, walking trails, etc.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Wowens said:
    I've been mowing a neighbor's yard this year because he is too lazy and sorry to do it. (Divorce situation). The guy has been blowing off the HOA for months and they won't do anything other than send letters. I got sick of looking at knee high grass and wanted to protect neighborhood property values so I took action. I've lived here for seven years and have not once laid eyes on that scumbag. 
  • aukerns08
    Options
    @DoubleEgger he'll never cut it again now that you've started.  I'm surprised they didn't contract a landscaping company and send him the bill or fine him in the amount of the bill.  That's what most do.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Or be selective with the Round-up and write something in the yard.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!