Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGW 2 Tier Swing Rack or KAB for next accessory purchase?

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @sinc86 ... I understand where you're coming from.  That's why the bling list above.  Look here for a good set of pictures of the PSWoo2 and new extender ... plus, the cast iron grill options:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html

For the spider, look here for the various configurations:

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html

You'll have to imagine the spider supporting one of the following:
    - cheap Weber grill
    - cast iron grill
    - WOK
    - Pizza stone as a small indirect "plate setter"

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    sinc86 said:
    Are there any videos on all this PSWoo2 and other parts? I'm confused with all the acronyms... :anguished: 
    PS : means the woo uses a plate setter. '2' means it uses the factory cooking grate , CI : means it takes a cast iron cooking grate. Actually quite simple.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • sinc86
    sinc86 Posts: 23
    Options
    So is this what I am looking for then? 
    Owner of:
    1 - Large BGE
    1 - Small BGE
    1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

• sinc86
    edited May 2015
    Options
    IF you guys can keep me under $200.00 bucks (won't tell the wifey) then make me a list of the MUST HAVES. Please and thank you. ;) 
    Owner of:
    1 - Large BGE
    1 - Small BGE
    1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Do you just want to spend 200 bucks for the hell of it? Or do you have a specific need? There are no "must haves", my friend.

Never could understand the benefit of the swing rack, cost and customer service comments notwithstanding. I think the KAB is EXTREMELY expensive and unnecessary! Especially when compared with the High-Que. Then again, I'm happy with my OEM grate. Both of your original options are a waste of money IMO.

That said, I'm not much of an accessories kind of guy anyway. More carriage bolt and Weber grid cobble for me. I do have a woo for my mini, but it was a gift. I'm sure I would have rigged up some home-brew gizmo if I didn't have one. Do yourself a favor... don't buy anything until you have used the egg for a while. So much of this stuff is unnecessary.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Carolina Q  .. lol, you sound just like my brother. He was the one who first turn me on to the egg. Everytime I bring a 'new' accessory home, I get an earful from him ...'Tim, why'd u buy that? ... we could have made that ourselves' ..

I think KAB is totally not necessary ... it just seems to be the latest greatest til' the next gizmo comes around. I'm absolutely not buying that.

I'
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • sinc86
    Options
    @Carolina Q 

Nothing is life is a "Need." No one's Egg is a need by any stretch of the imagination. It's a hobby, and just about the only hobby I have had in a long time. Therefore, I come to this community seeking knowledge on how to make my BGE experience better. I say $200.00, because yes, I have $200.00 dedicated to this hobby right now and I would like to spend it in ways that will enhance my grilling experience... With that being said, can you help me out, or are you going to tell me why every accessory is a waste of money and how I should be investing more money in to my IRA/401K? 
    Owner of:
    1 - Large BGE
    1 - Small BGE
    1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    PSWOO2 $46.99
    PSWOO2 Extender and 16" Sliding D grid $69.99
    GWN
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    i agree with @Nanook and to keep you under 200$ you can add a small woo plus stone and drip pan for your small. Youll be in great shape with those 2 setups for a long time. I have a swing rack and dont use it anymore. It is a good product but the ps woo is superior
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Woo2 would win with me hands down but it all really depends on how you cook. If you go with the woo you still have monies left to buy the HighQue grate.  You'll get the best of both worlds 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • sinc86
    Options
    I do a lot of direct cooking for the time being... CGW 2TIER wins this battle (for now). Just got off the phone with Franco (he called me). Awesome customer service! 
    Owner of:
    1 - Large BGE
    1 - Small BGE
    1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    im not trying to talk you out of anything but i have the swing rack. You say you do a lot of direct cooking. Heres a few things to think about when you cook direct with swing rack. 1. you will still be cooking down low on main grid which is a pain in the ass. You might say you will use the top grate to cook "raised direct". That works but now your real estate just shrunk to the size of a medium. 2. The set screw has to be adjusted when going from platesetter to cooking without platesetter. Not 100% needed all the time but I found myself doing it a lot and when I did I kept saying "what did I do with that Allen wrench". 3. It rusts. If It is your only grate being used it will likely not rust. However, I see it somewhat limited. I am not a hater of the product or franco. I just found something better that suited my needs better. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @sinc86 ... you asked for input and Carolina Q took the time to provide his opinion.  Please respect it. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I've got the two-tier swing rack and use it often with no issues.  Serves the precise purpose I was looking for when I bought it. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer