Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken chimichurri salad... I guess dieting isn't all bad

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
So I've been hitting the gym hard and trying to cut back a bit on my calorie intake lately (got to look good for the lovely lady on our wedding day ;) ). Finding lower calorie foods that still live up to my usual egg grub has been a bit of a challenge, but tonight I knocked this one out of the park. Mixed green salad with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red peppers, and avacados. i used a butter garlic maranade for the chicken breasts overnight then cooked raised direct at 450. Sliced on the bias and used my chimichurri sauce as a salad dressing and to top off the breast. It was unbelievably good. 

Maybe be I can get used to this heathy eating thing.... As long as I still get my cheat days.  =)

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks really good from here. Congrats on the upcoming wedding and I applaud your will power sir. I have been trying to lose to weight too but hit ribs tonight. Doh
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    These things happen. I don't even want to list all the stuff I had over the long weekend.... 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That plate looks awesome!!   Healthy on the egg is fun!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very nice
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
     Looks really good. did you make the chimichurri your self?  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    Yes I did. Parsley, fresh oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt pepper, red wine vinegar, a splash of my special hot sauce, and EVOO. 

I I used to add some cilantro as well, but SWMBO isn't a fan so I leave it out nowadays. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2015
    Options
    trying to cut back a bit on my calorie intake 
    lower calorie foods 
    green salad 
    salad
    heathy eating thing.... 

Brother chilly, it goes without saying that you are one of my forum favorites. But even so, the above quoted words hurts just reading them ;) They are like kryptonite to me. However the chicken does look great my friend. Nice job brother chilly. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @SGH I have no doubt brother, but just know it's all with a great goal in mind. When my lovely lady walks down the aisle on Labor Day weekend I want to be looking as good as possible while waiting for her. Also... It's a request from her to be able to help her slide into that wedding dress as easily as possible. It's a win/win!

I'm not going to lie though..... That second week of September will be a good week to come around the Chilly residence for a meal. It's a good bet some decadent cooks will be in the works. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @ChillyWillis- I'm just messing you above brother Chilly. I certainly hope that you reach your goal. Let me go ahead and say a early congradulations on the pending wedding. I wish you and the future Mrs. Chilly all the best my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Of course you were my friend. Trust me, just typing the words diet, and green salad send chills through my spine.

Im also chuckling a bit now that I noticed the 1 lb chicken breast covered up almost all of the 'salad'. I guess all that protein will be good for the weightlifting..... Or that's what I'm telling myself. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @ChillyWillis  That looks delicious!  Just don't tell me it's good for me and I'd be all over it!  

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. 

Phoenix 
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @blasting I'd never post just saying it's good for you.  If a meal doesn't taste amazing it'll never make the grade for a post. This makes the grade. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That is an amazing looking salad.. Congrats on your upcoming Wedding..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great man.  That seriously looks as good to me as a cheeseburger and fries.  I would eat that any day of the week.  My problem is I would also drink 4-5 double IPAs so the calorie savings are null and void.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Looks pretty delicious to me.  Congrats on the upcoming wedding.  I was in your position 5 years ago and I was looking sharp but missing all the delicious food I was avoiding.  Since I've been enjoying that food too much and not looking so sharp.  Seeing cooks like these give me hope as we're working to get back to wedding shape.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    do you have the recipe for your chimi? looks great
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding. That salad looks awesome! We try to do salads 1-2X/wk for dinner, so I'll be borrowing this idea ASAP. 

Nice work!
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • ChillyWillis
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @n00b I stopped using a recipe for my chimichurri a while ago and just started making it by feel, however this is the base recipe I started with back in the day. Ordinarily I'd toss some cilantro in their as well, but SWMBO can not stand the stuff, so not any more. 

I usually use my chimi as a last resort for and fresh herbs I have on hand that are about to dry out. My one tip if you decide to make it is to be careful with the garlic. Too much garlic will ruin a good chimi quicker than anything (and this is coming from a garlic lover of epic proportions). 

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28393-argentine-chimichurri-sauce
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Oh My!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE