Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doctors Issue Warning

Options

Comments

• islanderegger
    Options
     I tried the foil but kept seeing little peices of it breaking off too. I like the wood idea DE.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ditched my brush last time it came up. Bought a little scotch brite type thing. Truthfully, I rarely use either. Fire is my friend. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Let me piggy back on your post please.  We threw out all of our wire brush cleaning brushes.  Also threw out the pumice stones ... kept seeing little pieces of grit left on the grill.  That left us with burn it off.  Finally stumbled upon this type of brush:

They also make a long handled brush with the brillo pad-like cleaning unit.  So, have others tried this brush?  Like it?  Answer the concern expressed in the Doc's warning.
    This is what I use and it works great. If a wire comes loose on this you will see it because it is around a foot long and kinda thick. I usually get mine at Lowes and replace it every couple months.  

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    everything will kill you or harm you. good grief... 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    “I do see the ingestion of foreign materials — bristles, coins, needles, pins, things like that,” he tells Yahoo Health. “Sometimes it’s inadvertent ....
    sometimes?????
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    This is what I started using. Its all one long wire.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Could a  CM scrubber work?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I ran through the house with a wire brush. I did not poke out my eye while doing so.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Well that was easy! Cut a piece of red oak on two sides at 50 degrees. Marked of the required 3/4" grill spacing and hit it with a Dremel. I cut a larger board in half so I've got 2 scrapers with less than 10 minutes work. 

That's cool. But are you open to a suggestion? Red Oak is actually a soft wood as revealed by the large pores in the grain. Next time you spend your time making one consider making it out of hard maple. Not flaming you - just trying to help...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    tkleager said:
    Guess I'll just burn off my grates from now on.

Doctors Issue Warnings About Cleaning Grills with a Wire Brush
    Holy crap, I never even thought of this.  I'd think it is pretty rare, but damn.  Not good if it happens.

Obviously, getting rid of all wire brushes is one solution.
    I wonder if there is a happy medium to either buy a certain quality of brush that has them better seated, and/or change your brush every 6-12 months like you do a toothbrush.   The older it gets, the more likely you are to dislodge a wire.

I like the block of wood idea.  
    Can we use any kind of untreated wood to make that?

Anyway, thanks for sharing that article.  At a minimum, it'll have me pay more attention to the brush.  It did look like the one in the news was one of the cheaper variants I've seen in stores.   I assure you mine is better quality or at least way overpriced!  =)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I've been using the ash tool that came with my Joe Jr. to scrape of excess junk from my grids lately. Whatever is left burns off during pre-heat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    This is what I started using. Its all one long wire.
    That is another one that I use ... thanks for bringing it up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    tfhanson said:
    tfhanson said:
    And remember, don't drive your cars anymore. PEOPLE DIE IN THEM.
    And the point of your logical fallacy is?
    My point, let's not overract.
    It's not an overreaction. 

Swallowing a steel bristle can be quite injurious. 
    I guess for you it isn't, for me it is.  Lots of things in our daily lives are far more dangeours than a one in a million chance of getting a bristle off a brush. My guess would be it's about as common as winning the lottery.  Yes, people do win the lottery, almost weekly, but it is not common at all.  My point was far more people get hurt in cars on an HOURLY basis then people do weekly from BBQ brush bristles.
    I don't know how you quantify this since one is a unmeasured statistic, your hyperbole aside. I know it anecdotally since I've seen patients with perforated bowel from it. 

Flo said anecdotally.  

You must work at the GI station with the million dollar ticket. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well that was easy! Cut a piece of red oak on two sides at 50 degrees. Marked of the required 3/4" grill spacing and hit it with a Dremel. I cut a larger board in half so I've got 2 scrapers with less than 10 minutes work. 

That's cool. But are you open to a suggestion? Red Oak is actually a soft wood as revealed by the large pores in the grain. Next time you spend your time making one consider making it out of hard maple. Not flaming you - just trying to help...
    I'll take that into consideration next time. I had some leftover oak from redoing a staircase so this scrap was just handy. If the grooves wear out, I'll just hit it again with the Dremel. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

Nice, DE.  Now you just need the mineral oil, or whatever it was they said they used in the video.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• bstockton11
    bstockton11 Posts: 16
    Options
    Matt from Smokeware just wrote an article about why he started selling the Scrapsation. Had a customer whose son had to have surgery to remove a piece of grill wire from his throat :(
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Another solution that I heard was to use half and onion to clear the grates.  They said it worked great.  I haven't tried it.  I kinda hated wasting an onion.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're aware of the risk, just visually inspect the grill before adding food.   Duh durrr durrp.
    Options
    Aluminum Foil Ball works well.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    If you're aware of the risk, just visually inspect the grill before adding food.   Duh durrr durrp.
    That is what I do - top and bottom before I put the grate on. I also buy new brushes regularly, so I'm not using ratty, corroded brushes.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Stop trying to be logical.  Fearmongering is so much more fun.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    You've never egged cross eyed drunk before? 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You've never egged cross eyed drunk before? 
    Or in inadequate light?
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    If you are that drunk, you won't bother with cleaning the grill. It will just be an "Ah F@#k it"  moment.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I bought this at Walmart it has nylon bristles to be used on a cold grate..I am going to give it a go my thinking is if any bristles are on the grill they will burn off when the grate gets hot..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    If you are that drunk, you won't bother with cleaning the grill. It will just be an "Ah F@#k it"  moment.
    are you insinuating...... =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Wow.  I do not scape or clean my grates. Well, I guess I do a little. I use my spatula or tongs to get any larger pieces off. The rest I ignore.  If I do a clean burn (2 in 4 years), I leave it in there. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    During this whole discussion I'm surprised no one has mentioned the seemingly once popular "Billy Bar". I never bought one as scraping each rod individually seemed too anal to me! LOL
    http://www.billybar.com
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    During this whole discussion I'm surprised no one has mentioned the seemingly once popular "Billy Bar". I never bought one as scraping each rod individually seemed too anal to me! LOL
    http://www.billybar.com
    Allow me to take a stab at this one:  I find that the 'billy bar' works wonders on my 'mangrates'.  LOL

Edit: Okay, I don't really own any mangrates but my conscience demands that I admit to owning the infamous Billy Bar.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore