Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Pizza pic heavy

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
well my wife picked up a new stone, it's glazed, for $15 at world market.   So we thought let's give it a try. Heated the XL up to 650 let it sit for 30 min to get the stone nice and hot.  Wife put together a simple pizza dough and topped them with a tomato pesto, fresh baby Bella's, Mozzarella and Spinach 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• ryantt
    Options

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Looks great ... homemade tastes so good!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good. The toppings sound good too.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ryantt
    Options

• ryantt
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL @fljoemon thanks guys.  It was actually kind of fun making pizza as a family.  Loved the new stone she picked up at world market today.  
    Just a quick question, if I put the pizza higher up in the dome, would the top have darkened a little more. 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @NPHuskerFL @fljoemon thanks guys.  It was actually kind of fun making pizza as a family.  Loved the new stone she picked up at world market today.  
    Just a quick question, if I put the pizza higher up in the dome, would the top have darkened a little more. 
    Yes.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• ryantt
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks @bud812 for the response.  I'll try putting it up higher in the  dome next time.  Is raising it 6 inches above the felt about right.  

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Just don't go too high that your stone blocks the air flow.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Looks great!  I would be concerned about burning the crust (and myself) at 650, but it looks like you were fine.   +1 raising the stone higher in the dome.  Top will cook better 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Nice job - pizza looks terrific!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • CTsmokin
    CTsmokin Posts: 7
    Options
    I actually have a half dozen white firebrick I use to cook pizza on.  I put them on my old grate and let them heat for about 45 min with a really hot fire.  Then youre good to go.  pizzas only need about 3 minutes and are to die for.
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Cookinbob would a temp of 500-550 be better  

• Cookinbob
    Options
    @ryantt, I got the 500-550 from seriouseats.com. It serves me well. Search out their NY style pizza write up for both technique and recipe. It transfers great to the egg!
    Rochester, NY
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    The only thing that's not come out well for me has been pizza.  Yours look great.  Mine were horrible.  I need to try this again.

• ryantt
    Options
    Thanks @LDR  definitely give it another go, there have been some good tips on here.  I do like the stone my wife got today  on a whim,  heated up quick and nothing stuck to it.  I can't tell if it will hold up long as it is kind of thin but they suggested  preheating it to at least 550. And at $15 at world market it was with a try.  

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I usually try to heat stone to about 400 degrees. The the dome temp is around 500. About 7-8 minutes for a nice crisp bottom. I use parchment paper. Never a problem sticking and you can have more pies ready to be made up. I use a infared temp thermometer. Works great. 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    @ryantt, I got the 500-550 from seriouseats.com. It serves me well. Search out their NY style pizza write up for both technique and recipe. It transfers great to the egg!
    Agreed 650 for me burns the crust before tops cooked

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Old pizza.guy told me 550 575 perfect.temp for.stone cooking 

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• ryantt
    Options
    @AUCE thanks for the info, going to try another one this weekend Using the 550 mark.  

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    You can use higher temps if there is no sugar in the dough. I have trouble getting mine to brown sometimes  

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    First of all, @GlennM, that is one awesome looking pie!  if you did it on the egg, you need to give all the details.  Looks like a studio photo too - nice work!

Beyond that, I thought I would chime in with a little more info now that I am on a computer rather than my phone.

@ryantt, first of all, you got the setup right for your first attempt - plate setter with the stone somewhere above that.  As for temperature, while your dome was 650, your stone most certainly well below that.  It takes at least an hour at temperature to get close.  Fortunately that is not necessary.  I sell thermal imagers, so always have a couple on hand, here is a pic of a stone in my egg after preheating.  setup similar to yours,  Dome was 550.

As I read and cooked more, I learned the importance of getting the stone higher in the dome - it does make a difference.  Below is a pic of a later cook where I had the stone raised with a couple of flower pots

Here is a link to the Seriouseats post from their "pizza lab".  Lots of testing and good info here.  I also like their dough and sauce recipes.  I have used their dough recipe, but mix it in a Kitchen Aid rather than a food processer

Lastly, a lot of folks now cook on a steel rather than a stone.  Steel holds and transfers heat better than any stone, and it will never break!  It can also be used as a flat-top for searing steaks, burgers, or even cooking pancakes and the like on the grill.  You can buy a really nice one on Amazon or from bakingsteel.com for about $75.  I bought a 14 x 16" piece of steel plate from a local metal shop for $14, and it works as well as my son's baking steel.  Good luck and keep posting pics.
    Rochester, NY
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Cookinbob with the stone only being 1/2 inch thick and leaving it in the entire time I would hope the stone was around 500 mark.  I'll look into the steel as well...I've also thought about the lodge ci pan.  Last thing how much is a thermal imager 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have to confess, mine was cooked on the Blackstone. I do get great results in the egg, but the Blackstone is so much easier! For sure higher in the dome and leave the stone in for a long time I always check the temperature of the stone with a laser thermometer and try and get it 550 or so
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @Cookinbob with the stone only being 1/2 inch thick and leaving it in the entire time I would hope the stone was around 500 mark.  I'll look into the steel as well...I've also thought about the lodge ci pan.  Last thing how much is a thermal imager 
    The Pizza lab did a comparison between the Lodge CI pan and the baking steel, the steel won hands down.  Do some searching and reading at Seriouseats if you want to up your pizza game!

As for thermal imagers, they run from $700 up.  At the low end, temp range is limited, and image quality is poor.  The pics above were taken with an $8,000 FLIR camera.  All you need is an IR Thermometer.  Thermoworks has one for $39 that will get you up to 1000 degrees.
    Rochester, NY
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    If you put a head of garlic on your stone right as you start to preheat it, it will be perfectly roasted by the time your stone is ready (45 minutes or so).
    NOLA