Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Fire proof a wood BGE table

Hello, I recently built a wooden BGE table for my Large BGE.  I used weather treated pine for the top counter and bottom counter (Not pressure treated, it is a different process).  I built the table to use the full nest, not just the small table nest.  I personally think the full nest, with wheels removed, is a safer setup seeing there is more room between the bottom of the egg and the bottom wood.  I would like to treat the wood with some type of fire proofing spray or treatment to ensure I have covered all my bases for fire safety.  I plan to lay down some type of tile or mat on the bottom shelf just in case.  I get worried with how close the side of the BGE is to the top counter and how hot that wood may get.  I did also stain the table with an oil based stain.

Does anyone have any advice on what to treat the wood with that would help make it fire proof or at least resistant?  I don't want to use an entirely different counter top, I'd like to keep it wood.  There seem to be some products out there, they aren't cheap, but I'm not sure how they would work.  Anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There are several products. Check out Sherwin-Williams commercial website or call a store. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Twozeroone
    Twozeroone Posts: 5
    Thanks!  I still don't see anything specific to fire proofing wood.  I've called many places and stopped at pretty much every home supply store I can find.  The only think they have is the high heat car exhause/grill type paint.  Nothing for wood specifically.  Even the sherwin williams stuff, i don't really see any paint that is fire proof or retardant.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Call you fire department. They should know :lol: 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Metal...

check flamestop dot com.  Disclaimer - i I have no idea if this will prevent, or decrease the likelihood or severity of fire and in no way does this post constitute an endorsement.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Wood fireproof? Maybe resistant but, not proof. Agree with @Spaightlabs Metal.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Not sold in the store, online only. 5 gallons!! Bring your wallet!!! 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ForceField-FireGuard-E-84-5-gal-Intumescent-Primer-FFGD-E84-g05/203582028

Disclaimer - I have no idea if this will prevent, or decrease the likelihood or severity of fire and in no way does this post constitute an endorsement. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited May 2015
    I built mine out of cedar a few years back and coated it with four coats of polyurethane. Never have a problem with the table catching on fire. Never have seen it happen or heard of it except maybe one time I heard of it. Not really an issue for anyone
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Spaightlabs
    edited May 2015
    I built mine out of cedar a few years back and coated it with four coats of polyurethane. Never have a problem with the table catching on fire. Never have seen it happen or heard of it except maybe one time I heard of it. Not really an issue for anyone
    My table started on fire one year ago next month.  Burned my house and all of my stuff.  Got out with a pair of gym shorts, my wife, her bathrobe and our 2 dogs...

It's not an issue until it is an issue.  Then it is a pretty big issue.

I think @little steven may have had a similar issue.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You honestly think that poly makes wood fireproof? If you haven't seen or heard of it, you need to pay closer attention. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• If I had my BBQ in a wood table I'd treat it with one of these.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have my XL in a wood table, resting on a table nest.  I put a layer of ceramic tile under the egg nest (nobody suggested it, just seemed like a good idea to me).  I think one of the keys is to have plenty clearance between the egg and the counter top (cut a big enough hole).  I also like the idea of the nest rather than resting on pavers.  Air is a good insulator.  Looking at the burned table above in this thread, the egg rests on pavers, and top clearance looks tight - these could have been contributing factors.  

I think that if you are doing a high temp cook or a clean burn, you should stay with the egg! 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Redwood chars but is not supposed to flame
  • Spaightlabs
    bill37 said:
    You have to be kidding?

redwood is light weight and burns fast.  Not a very dense wood, doesn't give off a ton of heat, but it burns plenty good.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Build a metal table. Wood has a tendency to catch fire. Or so I've heard. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Twozeroone
    @Spaightlabs .....  I sent a message to the flame stop company. Waiting to hear back. The table will be on a small patio about 5 feet away from my deck (not on the deck) and house. Where was your table when it caught fire?  Where you doing a long slow cook?  Also do you know if it started on the top part of the table or was it the bottom shelf?  P.s.  I'm really sorry to hear about what happened... That is terrible. I'm glad you got out ok. 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    Hmmmm @Twozeroone that table build sounds suspiciously like one I was checking out this Memorial Day weekend while eating brisket, baby backs, smoked chicken, burgers, bacon and deconstructed s'mores. 

Welcome to the forum!

• Spaightlabs
    edited May 2015
    Fire started on the lower shelf.  Fired up the egg early, 7:00 am or so, just did some chicken, burgers, steak and salmon for the week.  Had some lump left and hadn't done a clean burn for a while.  Cranked it up and let it run for a bit, thenshut it down at 10:30 am or so.  Went about our day, went to a Rockies game, got rained out.  Rained most of the afternoon.  At 1:30 am I woke up when the glass in our frenchdoors off of the living room exploded.

engineers determined that the brick paver the egg was sitting above had cracked at some point and allowed enough heat through that the framing members began to smolder.  May have smoldered many times and just not been able to keep going.  Egg was not cracked on the bottom at all and there was a 1 inch air gap between the egg and paver.

table was on the deck about 8 feet from the structure.  When the table burned it eventually gave way and tipped towards the house.  That allowed some burning material to ignite a large resin storage chest  that was several feet from the egg to ignite.  Inside the chest - you guessed it, a bag of lump and a bunch of smoking chunks.  That got going pretty good, got the side of th house going and got up under the eaves. Then into the attic all without any smoke inside the house.

we got out with a couple minutes to spare.  Scary stuff.  
  • Twozeroone
    @ChillyWillis yup, your suspicion is correct!   Finished off the brisket tonight. Good stuff. Can't wait to try the wicked good bag of charcoal gold. 

@Spaightlabs that is an awful story. Again glad you got out ok!  You just convinced me to try to Do everything I can to keep the table as safe as possible. I'll post a followup once I figure out my plan.   
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @Spaightlabs I'm glad you tell your unfortunate story.  Fwiw, because of your story no grill will be a fire risk for my family, so you have my thanks.  

For those with already constructed wood decks, it is a dilemma for sure.   Be safe.
    Phoenix 
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Try waterglass or liquid glass. The chem name is sodium silicate ! it will be heat and fire resistant NOT totally fire proof.
  • It might be more interesting to construct it with Hardiboard and tile anyway. Maybe with wood accents.
    Gittin' there...
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    bill37 said:
    You have to be kidding?

redwood is light weight and burns fast.  Not a very dense wood, doesn't give off a ton of heat, but it burns plenty good.
    He was confused, redwood bark burns poorly which helps prevent raging wildfires in redwood forests, the core wood burns just fine.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Twozeroone

I found this stuff that I am going to try (see link below, lumber guard XT), they have some good videos and seem to have good ratings/reviews. I am also going to tile certain portions of the table I am thinking.  I will likely tile the bottom shelf (or put down a fire proof mat).  I am going to cut the hole in the top even larger for more clearance and possibly might make it square.

http://www.frctexas.com/fx-lumber-guard-xt.html

• neumsky1
    neumsky1 Posts: 26
    edited May 2015
    What caused these fires?...obviously this doesn't happen often...I wood...like the people this happened to to give us an idea as to why this happened to them and not happening to everyone else also! maybe clearance was an issue?
    3rd Large Eggs =)
    20 inch Yoder Offset
    16 & 20 inch Horizon Offsets
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You need and air gap to buffer the heat between the egg and the wood and or paver. A paver directly under the egg is a false sense of security. You must have an air gap. Table nest or other means. The heat will transfer through the paver to the wood over time. 
  • So I'm getting ready to build a nest and this wasn't even a concern of mine. Im thankful for reading this, as I will be more mindful of a potential fire. So thank you for bringing this topic up.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    My table caught fire in the middle of the night, but fortunately the flames awakened me. The refurbished table is now a potting bench, and the Egg is in a nest by a stainless side table.
    Kemah, TX
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Think the big thing is to have open air under the Egg. Our Egg is sitting on concrete blocks...with the open side facing front to rear. Was at 650* for 4 hours a few weeks back...bottom of bricks did not even break 100*
  • Are fires due to negligence from the owner?  I am not trying to be a prick...  Just curious since I have a wood table with a nest underneath.  It seems like people are still getting fires that way, which I find odd
  • Spaightlabs
    I had an air gap between the egg and paver.

paver cracked at some point, allowed heat to transfer to framing underneath.