Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGW 2 Tier Swing Rack or KAB for next accessory purchase?

Options
I've asked this on instagram to a couple of different EggHeads and I have gotten mixed opinions as far as which eggcessory to purchase next. The budget allows for one of the two (for my large egg) and I'm not sure which one to go with. What would you do in my shoes? CGW 2 Tier Swing Rack or a KAB?
Owner of:
1 - Large BGE
1 - Small BGE
1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    sadly i do not use my swing rack anymore. There are better options out there. So I guess I would vote KAB. Do you have a woo for your large?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• sinc86
    sinc86 Posts: 23
    Options
    @grege345

I do not have a WOO. 
    Owner of:
    1 - Large BGE
    1 - Small BGE
    1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Instead of getting the KAB, get yourself a Hi Q grate.
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    KAB. Good product used for every cook & unique as in you can't rig something up that does the same thing, Vs Lots of inexpensive options for extra grill space.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Both are great accessories. In my opinion, there are two factors to consider:

1) Price point. There is a wide price difference between the two products. If money is tight, go with a KAB. If you have the money now and are unsure that you could reach the CGW 2 Tier price range again, go with the 2 Tier. 

2) Current needs. I see you have two Eggs. Do you need the extra space immediately? Or would an ash management system be more helpful at this point in time? 

At the end of the day, which accessory YOU purchase is completely your decision. You'll both. Good luck! 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The large doesn't have bad breathing problems, so a High-Que grate or a KAB is more of a nice to have addition ... either one will improved the airflow, but it's a problem that doesn't need to be solved.  Ask yourself what type of personality you are?  If you want improved airflow and you're OCD about order, then a KAB is a good choice.  If you are more of the stir and dump type of personality, then the High-Que grate is a more inexpensive choice.

If you have a plate setter and don't have the PSWoo2, then I'd push you towards that as a first purchase.  The PSWoo2 integrates the plate setter and grill into a single unit that can be added or removed during the cook.  Very handy to add smoke wood or lump during the cook. 

The PSWoo also makes raised direct cooking a piece of cake.  No more cobbled up supports to raise the grill.  When doing a reverse sear on steaks, I remove the PSWoo2 and grill with the steaks still on-board ... dual handles so no chance of dumping those expensive cuts of meat.  Set the unit aside, turn the temp up - a spider and lower grill is in place - and three minutes later the steaks are being moved back to the egg for a quick sear.

Now, for the extra grill space ... buy a $7 Weber grill grate, some stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers and make a second rack level with those.  Or, the same Weber grill grate and some fire bricks also work great for very little money.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have a Swing Grate - I don't use it anymore. Period. What a waste of freakin hard earned $$. Should have went AR from the get go. I'm not gonna even get into customer service ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    save up for the adjustable rig and dont look back. KAB not needed, CGW has some bad reviews with customer service issues here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    With a KAB, do you continue to use the firebox grate, or do you remove it?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    With a KAB, do you continue to use the firebox grate, or do you remove it?
    I removed my stock grate, others still use it.  If you remove it you will see a difference in temp control because more air is getting to your coals so it has a slight learning curve to it.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • aukerns08
    Options
    Of the two options you listed I would say KAB as I use that every time I egg and my CGW swing grate is pretty much a dust collector.  Like @fishlessman man said though the KAB is not needed so I would get that as one of you last accessories.  If I was in your shoes I would buy a PSWoo2 http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/pswoo2/ and the PSWoo2 Extender + 16" D grid http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/pswoo2-extender-16-d-grid-recommended/ from the Ceramic Grill Store.  That combo is going to cost you about $120, a little less plus shipping, which is cheaper than the swing grate.  I have gotten more use out of my Woo than pretty much every accessory I own.  I use the Woo on pretty much every cook unless searing at high temps close to the fire just to get the grid up to the felt line.  I'll be getting the D-grid extender for myself shortly as it wasn't an option when I first got my Woo.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    PSWOO2, WOO2 Extender, and 16" Sliding D Grid. You won't be sorry....
    GWN
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Nanook ~ Freakin' awesome!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I was thinking of asking for the PSwoo2 w/ ceramic stone and drip pan for my XL.  I would like the AR with it, but I have a back up Plate Setter when my current cracked one brakes and I have an homemade raised grid.  I want the woo2 to use with my wok.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Exactly what does a Woo do?  Looks like it just raises the grate to the felt line which I am doing another way, anything else?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I have a Swing Grate - I don't use it anymore. Period. What a waste of freakin hard earned $$. Should have went AR from the get go. I'm not gonna even get into customer service ...

+1
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • SoCalTim
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The plate setter sits inside, it allows you to pull everything (food, cooking grate and setter) without touching the hot setter if you need to add lump or wood. Pretty ingenious if you were to ask me.
  • aukerns08
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    The plate setter sits inside, it allows you to pull everything (food, cooking grate and setter) without touching the hot setter if you need to add lump or wood. Pretty ingenious if you were to ask me.
    What he said.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    gmac said:
    Exactly what does a Woo do?  Looks like it just raises the grate to the felt line which I am doing another way, anything else?

The Spider is also part of it and makes so you can get the meat closer to the fire for searing or be used with a wok.  The Spider part of the woo2 can hold a ceramic stone to go indirect without using the plate setter.  Check out http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ for more details.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Adjustable Rig from ceramic grill store over swing rack. Only get KAB if you need to rove the hot lump or something. If only for better airflow, the high que is half the price
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

OK, that makes sense.  I just couldn't figure it out from the picture at CGS.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    gmac said:
    SoCalTim said:

OK, that makes sense.  I just couldn't figure it out from the picture at CGS.
    I believe that is just for the Large.  CGS told me that the plate setter for the XL won't sit in the woo2 I believe.  The AR/Woo2 combo basically replaces the need for the Plate Setter.  If you buy the combo for the XL you save about $100 over buying each pieces by themselves, but I already have a raised grid system, but the AR looks very handy to use and take in and out.  Tough choice for me, I want the combo, but should just get the Woo2.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    gmac said:

The Spider is also part of it and makes so you can get the meat closer to the fire for searing or be used with a wok.  The Spider part of the woo2 can hold a ceramic stone to go indirect without using the plate setter.  Check out http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ for more details.  
    @Ladeback69 ... The OP has a large egg.  The PSWoo2 for the large egg doesn't have a built in spider ... it's a separate piece.  Very useful, but separate.

For a large egg and plate setter combination, the complete set of CGS bling would be:

- PSWoo2 ... my most used piece from CGS
    - Spider w/ 13 inch stone and 13.8" Craycort CI grill (and 13.8" Weber grill)
    - Woo Extender ... newest piece
    - 16" D-grill ... also fits the AR
    - 14" stainless steel drip pan

Maybe a 16 stone for pizzas and a WOK to use with the spider.

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    @Jeepster47... Will the KAB still work with all that CGS stuff?

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    @Jeepster47... Will the KAB still work with all that CGS stuff?

yes    I have AR  with spyder  & the SASIL  has a Woo2CI     all with KAB's   the SA has the new HD  KAB  the bastage....
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks @swordsmn. Looks like I'll be putting together a wish list from CGS for father's day!

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @EggHead_Bubba ... yep, never even comes close to the CGS stuff.

With the spider down in the fire ring groves, there is approximately 2 inches of clearance with the handle of the KAB.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @Jeepster47... appreciate it.

• sinc86
    sinc86 Posts: 23
    Options
    Are there any videos on all this PSWoo2 and other parts? I'm confused with all the acronyms... :anguished: 
    Owner of:
    1 - Large BGE
    1 - Small BGE
    1 - Mini BGE

EggHead since 2014 

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    All what fits your cooking style. I love my swing rack. Never had an issue with it or dealing with CGW.