Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why BGE?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I would go BGE for all sizes except Joe Jr. at Costco roadshow.  $399 for decked out Joe Jr. is to much price difference for MM.

That said, I went Medium for my second egg and love it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'd absolutely love to see comments from the other forums responding to this question ...
    "Well I just saw this red thing and the guy at Costco said I would like it more than a BGE.  He was wrong but maybe if more people buy one our forum will get better."  It will take 3 days to get that response. 
    The guy at Costco sold 3 KJs while I was standing there waiting to ask what color bag of charcoal they had. He hadn't even finished setting up yet. I am pretty sure the big joe is actually more expensive than the XL egg but if you see them side by side the big joe dwarfs the XL.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    ...Stihl vs Husqvarna, .....

Remington vs Winchester ........  

@SGHI'm a Shindaiwa and Weatherby man.    :)

I concur.  If it were me, I would pick the one that has a dealer near me or one that I had some faith in.   I didn't think about any other ceramic cookers when I went Egg because of the long history of BGE.  There is something to be said for that given the warranty is only as good as long as the company is in business.   Good luck and enjoy the ride.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    IT'S GREEN!!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'd absolutely love to see comments from the other forums responding to this question ...

T
    he comments are there, well mine is anyway. Have had a MBGE for four years and really like it. Still on the honeymooon with the Primo 300 Oval, so far it is a dream to cook on. There is no question the oval has some very slick set-ups and it has two level racks. Direct and indirect at the same time under the same dome. 
    There is no ember screen on the lower vent of a Primo, but given the air gap between fire box and the base, it is an easy task to drop a screen in that can be easily removed for cleaning - actually works better than that sometimes sticking finger slicing POS BGE screen. 
    The Primo does not come with a rain cap, my kamados are under a roof so not an issue, the Primo top vent seems to snuff the kamado without issue. The metal top vent fits securely as the unit came from the factory with gasket material on the outside of the dome. I also like the double floored fire box on the Primo.  
    Interesting the Primo came fully assembled, great packing. My dealer rolled the pallet off the back of the truck into my garage and it was in the pit ready to go in less than 20 minutes. 
    For me it was also about dealers. BGE dealers here on the west coast (save maybe ForeShore) are spa folks, useless. With one distributor in Toronto, the cost of eggs is ridiculous. To buy my egg at a reasonable price I had to travel to Washington State. OTOH the Primo was actually less in Canada than in the US - go figure, and it is sold by one of the most responsible and respected BBQ dealers around Vancouver - specifically Johnstones. 
    Good luck on your choice, you will be welcome on any of the forums. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I'm a new egghead, and my purchase came down to 3 things.
    1. Warranty  KJ and BGE are lifetime primo is 20yrs
    2. Availability, hard to get the KJ big joe no one sells them near me. Tried to get from firecraft and they ended up  canceling my order do to lack of units. 
    3. Reliability, BGE Has been around for a long time, and I trusted they will still be here in the event I need them.  The number of dealers in my area is amazing, and they are all easy to talk to and deal with.  The same can not be said about the others, in fact the two Primo dealers in my area closed out the product and switched to BGE.  They said the choice to switch came down to how easy it was to get replacement parts for customers.  
    Just my experience,  and I'm sure it varies depending on where you live. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I chose BGE first because when i got my 1 st egg KJ was not even a company yet and there were no primo dealers to be found around me either. So there you have it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I chose BGE first because when i got my 1 st egg KJ was not even a company yet and there were no primo dealers to be found around me either. So there you have it.
    Highlights sig line, drops mic...
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • KNolish
    KNolish Posts: 8
    Options
    Why I chose the BGE....Hmmm....

At the time that I bought my BGE, the choices were a huge Komodo smoker or something by BGE.  The komodo was beyond budget.  I was using a Weber kettle grill with lump, not briquettes, so I was used to the idea of cooking with lump charcoal.  I really didn't want gas, so the BGE was a fairly obvious option.

I think that I did what you did, lurked on the forums for a bit, and asked a few questions.  I found the folks on-line quite helpful, so I decided that there would be help available.

I spent more time worrying about the size as opposed to the Brand.  At the time, BGE offered the Small, Medium, and Large, and the mini had just come out.  I went with the Large and I've been pretty happy with that.

Problems ( 15 years worth ) - 

1) I've gone through a few covers.  The new black one looks to be more heavy duty than the green ones, so I think I'll get some more time out of that.  The egg lives outdoors, so that's sort of expected.

2) Cracked firebox.  I had an old style firebox, pre slit, that gave out.  The dealer that I now use replaced it with no issues or hassles.  He wasn't the dealer who sold me the egg, either, so I'm pretty impressed with the service he was willing to give a non-customer.  I don't know if that's typical of all BGE dealers, but I'm actually trying to figure out how to toss a little money in his direction.

3) I'm about to put on gasket #3.  I get anywhere between 3-5 years on a gasket and I just put on the felt BGE gaskets.   I suppose I could switch to something more permanent, but these seem to work.

4) I'm on my second cast iron fire grate.  I think I got 5 years out of the first one, and I used the ceramic grate that came with my BGE until I got the new one.

5) Once in a while, I wish for some more cooking grate area, but having seen the XL, I don't think that the extra grate is worth the extra weight when it comes to moving it around.  Our family is also small, so the 18" diameter works, say 95% of the time.  Our egg lives on the deck, so I was concerned about weight as getting the egg on the deck involves stairs.

All in all, that list is pretty minor stuff.  I view gaskets, covers, and fire grates as consumable items, so nothing went wrong that I didn't expect to go wrong.  The cracked firebox was unexpected, but BGE and the dealer made it right with a minimum of hassle and time.

Annette and I are about to become empty nesters so we are kind of toying with the idea of getting a small BGE for day-to-day cooking and keep the large for guests, overnight smoking and that sort of thing.

Obviously, we wouldn't be considering this if we were unhappy with the product.

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    History......plain and simple.....love my xl.
    BGE..has a long history and stands behind their products. I have a.friend.whos.grandfather bought an egg when the first came out and it has literally thousands of cooks on it.
    I researched.to.ad.nauseum and kept landing back on the egg....just sayin

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    3 LBGEs here. Only ceramic cooker to buy IMO.
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    2 pages of helpful replies to the OP's question on this forum. 3 total replies on the KJ forum.

I am not sure about the Primo forum. 

Help when I need it from fellow eggers is worth a lot to me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    We were in Chattanooga this winter and one day my wife mentioned they were having a sale at one of the dealers and said lets stop by... Said I showed interest a year ago (don't recall, but battling my gasser for quite a while). Went and looked- picked her off floor when she saw price but got magazine one them anyway. She said I didn't cook enough to warrant one.  Had cousin from Wyoming visit.  I made steaks and salmon on gasser that night- fresh off 18" snow 2 days before.  Wife mentioned I wanted egg, cousin said she had one and would not have anything else, and she lives by herself on ranch.  We visited her 6 weeks later, cooked on egg, that was it.  Bought one 2 weeks later.  Researched and put hands on them all.  Lit up at least 5 days a week.  Good retirement hobby.  
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I didn't know about the other 2 brands when buying my original egg almost 5 years ago... that being said in the time since I never seen a dealer for the other 2.  My job has me driving 50+ a day, so I cover a good amount of ground,  and I have never ran across a primo or KJ. 

On the other hand I can walk to my egg dealer, and my neighbor works at the store too.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SGH said:
    The simple truth is that they are all great units. Each offer something just a little different than the other as far as setup. Short of this and their color, they perform identical. The end result as far as quality food will be the very same. The debate about the big 3 ceramic manufactures follows on the heels of many other similar debates. Examples: Jambo vs Lang, Pitmaker vs Spicewine, Chevy vs Ford, Stihl vs Husqvarna, Remington vs Winchester and so on and so on. In the end you will be satisfied with which ever you choose. What I have found to be very helpful after the initial purchase is dealer support and location. Why? You will always need service and parts after the purchase. Stuff breaks, plain and simple. With that said, it makes more sense to have a dealer close by than many miles away. If dealer location is not a issue, then just pick the one that catches your eye. Among the 3 named, they are all good choices and they all turn out quality food. You can't really go wrong with any of the forementioned choices. For the record, I have a large BGE, mini BGE, MM BGE and a Kamado Joe Jr. I personally like them all.  

I agree with what @SGH has says.  I looked at all three and the dealer that had both Primo and KJ was almost an hour away from me, their prices were a lot more and they didn't seem to be very nice or helpful.  My dealer is about 3 miles from my house they delivered my assembled XL and placed it on my patio.  I go there at least once a week sometimes more.  They have classes, rubs, sauces and are very helpful when you have questions.  They are great to deal with.  They also had the best price on a packaged deal that beat the other dealer.  

I am not sure, but I believe that the Primo was started by someone who used to work for BGE.  I may be wrong on that.  I believe it is American made, KJ I think is made in Asia and the BGE I think is made in Mexico, but non of that really matters.  I think that all 3 are great to cook on, it to me was first the dealer, the price and the warranty.  I think you will put out great food no mater which one you get it.  I have a mini sized knock off of the BGE mini and it is ok for what I paid for it, but I would have rather had the mini, but SWMBO said not because of price.  My wife does not understand why I want medium to go with my XL, but I am leaning toward a GoodOne Marshall for my next smoker if get into doing any kind of catering.  

Good luck and enjoy the food.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    2 pages of helpful replies to the OP's question on this forum. 3 total replies on the KJ forum.

This forum is one of the best, many active members with all kinds of grills. We welcome everyone, without exception. Recently we even went thru a true "trolling" as this place often becomes the wild west or a middle school locker room. We can bite the hand that feeds us and discuss anything, including politics and religion. Everything we like and dislike can be commented on openly and honestly or with a twist of humour. We can praise the products sold by the sponsor or rip them apart. All are good things. That doesn't happen on the overmoderated, message controled Primo site, don't know about the KJ site. Posting pics on the Primo site is a pain and members seldom do it except for a few regulars, hell, one regular has 15% of the posts - all great posts with some really good comments and pics of cooks - but still, 15% from one member? 

Help is available on the Primo site, PM them a cell number and they call you. They are very helpful. Registration is acknowledged, it does not disappear into cyber space as many BGE owners often complain about. I do notice that a post with a question regarding the Primo product seem to be closed for comments, the OP gets what they need, but the general members have no idea what the Primo response was. 

Much like brands of lump, the brand of kamado is a personal thing - IMO the last guy to ask about a particular product is the guy who only uses one kind of product. There are so many choices. If the price is right and the support is locally available any of the three choices the OP notes are just fine - and you will be welcome here no matter what you cook on. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    She said I didn't cook enough to warrant one. 

This was the biggest change for me.  I would grill maybe once a month (often less) on my "regular" charcoal grill, but the cleaning and maintenance made it a PITA.  Now with the egg, I cookout several times a week.  I agree that all of the brands will do what you want, but I have been very happy with the egg, and especially with the accessories that are available for it (I'm looking at you, CGS).

And after well over a year of ownership, I don't see any sign of stopping.
    NOLA
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I would own a Primo or KJ and know that I could get good results (now that I know what I am doing). BGE service and warranty is the best from what I can tell.

The biggest difference for me is the eggheads and the eggfests. I really didn't know how to cook worth a darn 6 years ago when I got my egg. You eggheads have turned me into a pretty decent cook.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Long time, first time...

I had been interested in the BGE for several years now. I see them at BBQ cook-offs competing with $2.5K-$10K smokers, I've gone to profession chef's houses and seen them in their back yard. I have a friend with a KJ that finally sold me on the value vs the cost. He really pushed toward the cost of the KJ (save $100?) but after looking around, I decided on the BGE.
    I looked around and got my hands on a couple of them.

I actually started looking at the Vision Kamado Grill. Has a couple of interesting features, but I wasn't that impressed with the quality, especially after reading a few reviews. I looked at the Kamado Joe next. The people at Ace Hardware didn't know much about them other than the price. The guy at Conn's didn't know much either, all he wanted to do was try to get me to do a credit check to see how much I could spend. I don't need credit, I need a grill. Then I went to Backyard Grilling Company to look at the BGE. Granted, this is a store that specializes in grills, but they weren't trying to sell me the biggest grill they had or push me toward the XL when I was trying to think about what size to get. They asked me questions about my uses and told me what all they fit on their own BGEs and then let me decide what I needed. They also showed me a few other grills when I asked about comparing it to a big stick burner. I waited to buy and looked at everything I could online for 2 months.

Now, KJ seems to have a great customer service. My buddy left the lid on his Big Joe (24") open one day and a gust of wind pushed the whole thing over, cracking the lid. He called up KJ and told them what happened. They decided to cover it under warranty, but they didn't have the same color lid (black vs red). So what they did was they sent him a black lid right away and then sent him a red lid when those went back into production. They told him to keep the black lid. All under warranty. I know BGE would NOT do that if you called them up and told them the same story. My buddy does hit the various BGE forums for info on cooking in his KJ.

In the end, I chose the large BGE. Right size for me, good warranty and service through the local dealer, and knowledgeable salesmen at the store I bought from. Heck, one guy has his personal cell number on there and said to call anytime if there's a question while cooking. He said he's gotten calls at 1 am before. I don't plan to do that, but that's some dedication by the salesman and he's not a store owner.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Toxarch said:
     Heck, one guy has his personal cell number on there and said to call anytime if there's a question while cooking. He said he's gotten calls at 1 am before. I don't plan to do that, but that's some dedication by the salesman and he's not a store owner.
    "Hello"
    "I am sorry to call so late, but I am cooking a butt and the temp went from 225 to 224! What should I do?"

If I get a call at 1AM it better be to tell me someone is in the hospital, someone needs to go the hospital, or someone needs to be bailed out. 

I have received all of the above. I am ugly enough as it is. You don't want to see me without my beauty rest. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Toxarch I've read similar stories of BGE replacing eggs under that kind of circumstance.

I have also seen guys give their personal phone numbers to posters here, hell I had a bunch HVAC questions and a fellow egger gave me his personal number to talk about it.  And said egger is 3k miles from me, he wasn't trying to get a sale. I decided not to post the eggers name, he can chime in if he wants.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I had a bunch HVAC questions and a fellow egger gave me his personal number to talk about it.  And said egger is 3k miles from me, he wasn't trying to get a sale. I decided not to post the eggers name, he can chime in if he wants.
    That guy is a very good egger! 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @badinfluence  ... it's awe inspiring! 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options

I found the primo forum but it appears you have to register just to see the posts inside the message boards...  What do they have to hide that I need to register for?
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    aukerns08 said:

I found the primo forum but it appears you have to register just to see the posts inside the message boards...  What do they have to hide that I need to register for?
    I noticed that as well. Everything is labeled as "Private" on that forum. 

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I liked that this forum was open to look at before buying and without registering.  I got a lot of info about the Egg both good and bad before I even seriously considered getting one.  Not everyone has had a great Egg experience, some people seem to have more issues than others, or dealers that aren't so great after the sale with warranty issues.  Seeing all that along with the good made me aware of what to look for in a dealer to have a good experience after I had my Egg.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @BYS1981 What's even more Cray Cray is one egger is a Raiders Fan and the other a Broncos Fan & getting along LoL.  Eggheads helping eggheads. That's what it's about IMHO. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Or a dog helping a Buckeye! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I have a Large Green Egg, Small Green Egg, KJ Jr,and Vision Kub.  If I could do it all over again, I would still get a Large Green Egg as my first cooker.  KJ would be a close second, but, I would still get a Large Green Egg first.

1) Lifetime warranty
       It's only good if the company is around, BGE has a longer history and will likely be around long after I'm gone.

2) Customer support.
       BGE - never had a problem.  Reading the forum, looks like I won't have a problem if I ever do.
       KJ - My jr had an issue with the bottom vent, they help me and even offered to send another vent out to me.  After some bending, it's all good.
       Vision - I do not like their customer support (long story).

3) Track record.
       Although BGE has it's issues (the band & bolts have known issues with rust), Kamado Joe is a relatively new product.  It's the UNKNOWN issues that KJ may have in the future that worries me.  I work in software development so version 1.0 software scares me.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.