Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Improvements on the BGE over the years?

Options
I'm new to the BGE having just purchased last month.  As I read through these forums I have seen people who have had their Eggs for years.  Along with that are inherent problems with any product.  Whether it be cracking, fried gaskets, etc...

Does anyone have a feel for any 'improvements' that BGE has made over the years?  With all of the information contained in this forum you'd think they would use it towards product improvement.  Take the gasket for example...have they upgraded their stock gasket at any point or is it the same one that they've always put on?

Appreciate the input.  At the end of the day I'm just looking for what things I need to watch out for on a newly purchased Egg.
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I think they're still using pretty much the same gasket that they've been using for years.  As far as improvements go, I know they've made some changes to certain models over time.  For example the handle on the large wasn't as wide as it is now, I've heard they changed the way the XL dome opens to make the opening wider when it's open, and the nest for the mini has changed it's design.  The fire box also has changed, there is now a gap in it that wasn't there before to allow for expansion and try to minimize cracking.  Those are the few I know about I'm sure there's others but for the most part from what I can see they're few and far between and pretty minimal changes.

As far as things to look for on your Egg as it ages, definitely cracks, so far I've been lucky and haven't had any.  The change to the firebox has basically just caused it to split in two when it does crack now from what I've seen from people who have had issues.  The outer ceramics can crack as well.  The other thing to look out for is the gasket.  You will fry it eventually some go quicker than others.  You can replace it with a stock gasket if you want or contact @RRP and get one of his Rutland gaskets which seems to be the way to go by all accounts.  I'm still having no issues with my stock gasket almost 2 years in so until it starts becoming an issue with me I'll keep using it.  Once it starts to go though I'll be going to the Rutland so I just have to change it once.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Tip of the Day:

Tighten your bolts TODAY. Especially the ones for the Dome and Hinge. Then check every few months. If you feel at anytime the handle beginning to slip or you can move it, tighten IMMEDIATELY. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    with the large they origionally made the spring band in mexico, you can tell the difference with the usa bands as the usa handle is bolted to the band verse welded. the welded mexican spring band is junk circa 2002/2003. any large newer than 2004 has all the upgrades that worked even though they did chang a few things like the gasket and firebox (didnt make much of a difference with those upgrades anyways). i woul be happy with any egg in good shape from 2004 onwards.

what to watch for is cracking in the base around the vent area lower corners and usually travelling underneath the egg. cracked box and ring is normally still useable for years, the gaskets are junk so dont worry about them, mine burnt off a decade ago and it doesnt stop the egg from functioning and you can always upgrade gaskets on your own
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    The basic kamado cooker design is over 3,000 years old, most of the design kinks have been worked out at this point! BGE has certainly improved the durability of the materials over the years, and backs it up with a lifetime warranty.

IMHO people get way too worked up about the gaskets, and think their egg is "broken" somehow. There was a period a for a year or two a few years ago where the glue on the gaskets was giving way in the first few cooks. That wasn't good, but BGE seems to have remedied that.  

Gaskets are not made out of concrete or steel for a reason. From Wikipedia:"It is usually desirable that the gasket be made from a material that is to some degree yielding such that it is able to deform and tightly fills the space it is designed for, including any slight irregularities."

Gaskets are easily replaced in an hour for $20. IMHO they are a replaceable part, like a windshield wiper. When my original gaskets fried after 3 years I replaced with nomex and have gone another 3 years. If I ever need to replace again I may go with Rutland.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.