Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dealer

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
I really like my dealer he is great to deal with and very knowledgable, but he is 11 miles from my house.

A new dealer just opened up within walking distance of my house.  I feel almost like I am cheating when I wander in and scope out the eggs at the new joint.

Anybody else feel that way when they go to a different dealer?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I got egg #1 at the mothership and egg#2 at an Eggfest.  The dealers here suck. No. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Hell, the one dealer is a furniture shop first and foremost and know nothing about eggs. The other is a sports/outdoors joint with no inventory and I didn't even know they were  a dealer until I happened by and the door was propped open with a XXL. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Oh yeah, lucky bastard you 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    My closest dealer is 30 miles away and is more interested in making a buck than satisfying customers:(. If and when I buy another egg it will be used or from an eggfest. Haven't even stepped foot in dealer store since I bought my LBGE
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    WHOA! Jamie - at first I just assumed you lived in Washington, IL like your Father. Then I read something that made me think that wasn't right and you were in Morton.  3 BGE dealerships within our small SMSA of less than 250K sounds VERY short sighted to me for our wholesaler out of Fargo, ND! Plus -wasn't there a dealer in Bloomington/Normal who couldn't make a go of it? Why not try to break in to the HUGE population markets of Chicago and St Louis where BGE hasn't done crap rather than to beat up 3 BGE dealers within a stone's throw of each other in central IL? This JUST doesn't make sense to me! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I have to admit. I have some decent dealers here in Columbus. I checked around to get a vibe and then stuck with one. When I stopped in at the "other guys" to pick up some landscaping stuff I avoided the eggs. I didn't want to associate my interest in eggs with them. Would have felt like cheating. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I really like my dealer he is great to deal with and very knowledgable, but he is 11 miles from my house.

A new dealer just opened up within walking distance of my house.  I feel almost like I am cheating when I wander in and scope out the eggs at the new joint.

Anybody else feel that way when they go to a different dealer?

My dealer (who I like) is way on the edge of town past the airport.  A sporting goods store about a quarter mile away just became an egg dealer, and, yeah, I feel like I'm cheating a bit.

But they also carry Ozark Oak and tell me they have enough to last through most of the summer, so I don't feel so bad.
    NOLA
  • RRP
    Options
    buzd504 said:

But they also carry Ozark Oak and tell me they have enough to last through most of the summer, so I don't feel so bad.
    They really are off the beaten path if they think they have enough OO to last the summer. Want to help them along selling it? Just post their address and I bet that OO inventory will be history FAST!!!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @RRP ... the new BGE dealer is a newly opened Ace Hardware store.  I asked them why they weren't carrying the Kamado Joe units like most Ace Hardware stores.  His answer was; "If you're going to sell kamado grills, why not sell the best?" 

I had stopped in on a Sunday at five minutes to closing time to check out their smoke wood stock and he still wanted to talk BBQing with me.  I think he'll do well.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    Is that in EP? 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... no ... the Ace Hardware in EP is older than hammers.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I'm with you.  If I'm treated right I'm fiercely loyal and wouldn't feel right going elsewhere.

That said, I've had two encounters with dealers so far, one has been acceptable but nothing great - the other was one of the worst consumer experiences I've ever had.

I would think the secret to selling luxury goods would be to tap into, and share in the drooling customers excitement, right?  
    Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @blasting ... yes, I agree.  My dealer here in town is an egger, as is his brother/partner and his nephew.  Together they're worse than your local drug dealer ... "oh, you've got to try this" ... "hey, we've got tri-tips in right now and since we don't always have them you need to cook one" ... "have you tried cooking (fill in the blank)."  The point is they use what they sell and the enthusiasm shows.

When I asked about registering my first egg, he told me there was no need to do that because he was responsible for taking care of me.  My temperature gauge clouded up in the first two days ... I asked him about drilling a hole in the bottom of the dial.  He said it shouldn't fog up, took a new gauge off the shelf, and handed it to me.  Told me to bring the old one back when I had a chance.  That's typical of how he treats all of his customers and why I'll continue to show with him.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    RRP said:
    They really are off the beaten path if they think they have enough OO to last the summer. Want to help them along selling it? Just post their address and I bet that OO inventory will be history FAST!!!
    Ha - I know better than to do that.
    NOLA