Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My HOA is ordering me to remove my Egg from the property

Comments

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    tfhanson said:
    tz666 said:
    Check this out. The anti-Egg Beeotch......

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/3352309-210365959
    OMG I would kill her and burn the body in my egg if i lived next to her

Really?  You can't see both sides of the argument. You don't think she has a right to live in her house and not have it filled with smoke?  If your neighbor was burning yard waste all the time and the smoke was filling up your house, wouldn't you want it to stop?

There are two sides of the argument that are both valid.  A compromise is somewhere in there.  At least the guy could get her number and call, letting her know he is about to fire up the egg.  Living in a neighbourhood means compromise, that is why HOA's have come into existence. 

Giant difference in burning waste and cooking - c u next tuesday

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    tfhanson said:
    tz666 said:
    Check this out. The anti-Egg Beeotch......

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/3352309-210365959
    OMG I would kill her and burn the body in my egg if i lived next to her

Really?  You can't see both sides of the argument. You don't think she has a right to live in her house and not have it filled with smoke?  If your neighbor was burning yard waste all the time and the smoke was filling up your house, wouldn't you want it to stop?

There are two sides of the argument that are both valid.  A compromise is somewhere in there.  At least the guy could get her number and call, letting her know he is about to fire up the egg.  Living in a neighbourhood means compromise, that is why HOA's have come into existence. 

Perhaps she has a cat. I am allergic to cats. So, I'd have to let her know I'm home so she can close her windows? And if her windows are then closed, I'm firing the mother right up!  Hickory, Mesquite, the works. 
    She would probably just let her cat out to roam free and not worry about anyone else

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    This is slightly off topic but I feel the urge to share. Years ago, the Pinehurst NC police department was building a new HQ and I was managing the elevator installation. I was shooting the breeze with the chief when three senior citizens walked up and handed him a piece of paper. After they left, he told me that there was a group of seniors who would drive through Pinehurst every single morning at dawn and prepare a list of homeowner violations to be hand delivered to him. He said they'd start following up on the day's violations early in the afternoon. 
    I really hope I never have that much time on my hands...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Class_of_75
    Class_of_75 Posts: 49
    I would like to clarify some things:

1.  You live in  structure that has more than 1 family.

2.  You own the patio but not the yard.

3.  You asked about grills, but technically bought it AFTER the rule change.  The rule changed between asking and buying.

That is essentially correct. The patio is technically part of the common area, but its use and enjoyment are limited by the Covenants to me and my family. FWIW, the patio is very private, hidden from view by anyone who is not poking his head onto the patio. We have an end unit, so there's no one whose property is immediately adjacent to the patio or the Egg.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• Class_of_75
    99% likelihood that it is a requirement of the HOA's property insurance carrier, which may not be selected buy the HOA, but rather by the management company if you are not 100% self-managed.  All HOA's will have a board, but many of them will still have an outside mgt company, at least here in CO.

I have placed a lot of policies for HOAs in CO and several carriers do mandate no charcoal grills, while some disallow propane as well.  The carriers tend to have no flexibility on the issue, and if it is a carrier requirement that board won't have any discretion.

Hope it goes your way, but not optimistic for you.  You sound like you have a good perspective on things.

I think you've hit on the bottom line. If it's an insurance requirement, there's no good argument I can make. I'll find out when I ask for a hearing before the Board. If they reject all my arguments about the relative safety of ceramic grills because their hands are tied by insurance, I'll have given it my best shot.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324

I think you've hit on the bottom line. If it's an insurance requirement, there's no good argument I can make. I'll find out when I ask for a hearing before the Board. If they reject all my arguments about the relative safety of ceramic grills because their hands are tied by insurance, I'll have given it my best shot.
    Best of luck with this challenge.  It sounds like you are keeping things on an even keel, which will no doubt prove helpful, no matter what the final verdict or outcome.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Class_of_75
    mahenryak said:

Best of luck with this challenge.  It sounds like you are keeping things on an even keel, which will no doubt prove helpful, no matter what the final verdict or outcome.

Thank you. I'd like to say I'm leaving it in God's hands and not thinking twice, but I was just outside turning over the wings I'm cooking tonight and I was almost weeping over the Egg like a pet I might have to put down.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    HOA:

Flint, Michigan
  • Class_of_75
    HOA:

Thanks, Fred. All the humor on this thread has definitely helped today.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    @Class_of_75 , Ive read all of your comments in this thread, and I feel for you.  I think you are handling this well given the circumstances.  I have to applaud your demeanor online as well, I dont think most people in your situation would realize you are publicly documenting your thoughts on a forum like this.  It is feasible that your comments could be used against you, but you have done a good job of not allowing the HOA the pleasure.  I wish you the best in your fight.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324

Thank you. I'd like to say I'm leaving it in God's hands and not thinking twice, but I was just outside turning over the wings I'm cooking tonight and I was almost weeping over the Egg like a pet I might have to put down.
    It is definitely a bummer.  Here's to hoping there is still a solution out there for you that does not mean getting rid of your BGE. 

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I would still think the driveway option might be a solution?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Speaking of HOA overreach, this is my 'hood:

5/22/2015 10:42:34 AM

On December 19, 2014, I filed a lawsuit in Fulton County Magistrate Court naming the Laurel Springs HOA, Inc. as Defendant.  My claim was that the HOA improperly fined me $750 for making left turns from Windsor Hill Passage onto Old Atlanta Road.  I considered it improper because the HOA’s authority to regulate traffic and impose fines ends at the Laurel Springs property line, and does not extend into the public right-of-way.  I pointed this out to the property manager, the HOA Board, and the HOA's attorneys multiple times, but the Board would not refund my $750.

On April 20, 2015, the case was heard at trial before Judge Walter Lovett in Fulton County.  The judge agreed with me and ordered the HOA to pay $750, effectively refunding the money I paid in fines.  I received a check on May 19, 2015.

If you were cited and fined for this alleged offense, you probably are eligible for a refund too. Please share this information with your neighbors who may not read this message board.   I expected the Board would inform everyone and proactively issue refunds, but I have not seen any indication of this, aside from my own individual refund.  I am happy to answer any questions or provide details, either on this message board or by private email.

Finally, please think about the expense the HOA incurred defending this lawsuit and the possibility of paying higher insurance premiums after losing at trial.  This was never even a close call, and it should not have required that I file a lawsuit.  The Board chose to rely on legal advice that was factually and demonstrably flawed, even though any neutral non-lawyer looking at the facts could see the error.   I politely pointed this out in writing and in person (including supporting documentation) several times but it had no effect.   The Board had established its position and apparently decided these facts were just too inconvenient.

I sincerely appreciate the hard work and good intentions of the volunteer HOA Board.   Unfortunately, I believe “groupthink” and emotions took over the Board’s deliberations.   Certainly the Board needs to address homeowner concerns about traffic, but must strive to operate within the limits of the HOA Bylaws, Covenants, and state law.  Dissenting or alternative opinions should not merely be tolerated, but actually be considered in a thoughtful and careful manner.  Legal advice ought to be challenged and questioned, especially when it does not sound right.  Please encourage the Board to exercise caution when creating new rules, imposing fines, and enforcing the covenants.  Preventable mistakes can be very expensive. Thank you.

Isnt Laurel Springs in Forsyth county?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    When did people start hating food?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    grege345 said:
    When did people start hating food?
    I blame photoshop and supermodels. 
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536

It seems to me that you did your due diligence in talking to the fire chief. If he could prepare a statement for you when you meet the board, that should help, and even may sway the insurance company. It seems there are enough stats folks are throwing out should help your cause as well.

It seems like you have a good chance to win. If you express how you went through the appropriate safety steps first, and the significant investment of the egg itself, and bolster with a fire chief letter and some solid stats. . . Well, when presented professionally and politely, I don't see how a reasonable person can refute you.

If they say no, then I'd sue for the price of the grill and accessories, as well as pain and suffering for missing out on the best BBQ for the next however many years!  ;)
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Only one thing left to do:

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• chrisdiaz73
    chrisdiaz73 Posts: 10
    Add a propane tank to the bottom of it with a mock line glued to the base .... Problem solved ...
  • Yep, make it a hybrid with a gas starter. Send the HOA a certified letter stating you have a Big Green Egg gas grill and you can demonstrate that it cooks properly with the pictured gas bottle. If yours goes then all grills have to go! (Gas included)
    Just like hotels with hybrid parking spots, slap a hybrid decal on your 2500 diesel  with a 1/4 million miles on it and park where you want. 
    WES (weekendeggsmoker)
    North Texas
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Move. Seriously.

My hoa just sent me a letter because my mailbox post was stained, not painted white. I'm sooooo f'ing over hoas.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Jeremiah said:
    Move. Seriously.

My hoa just sent me a letter because my mailbox post was stained, not painted white. I'm sooooo f'ing over hoas.
    I refer to my previous post. I'm generally pretty passive, these HOAs are pissing me off vicariously thru you guys. They'd be begging me To move. 

When we we moved here we got a copy of the covenants. There may be 10% of homes in total compliance and that's fine by me. No active hoa and that's even better. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    HOA's should be outlawed.  They were put in place so a bunch of busy bodies could exert their "perfect world" on everyone else.  They serve no useful purpose. Period.  We lived in a subdivision with an HOA. Until just a few years ago, they allowed only one roofing material. Shake Shingle. If one house caught fire, usually two or more did. They finally got some sensible people on the board and realized they could be liable if someone requested a composite material that looked like SS and then their house caught fire because the neighbors house caught fire and they had denied that request. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I've never understood why people would live in a community with a HOA.  if I want to go out back and fire up the damn egg at 2am I'm going to.  I don't need to a group of people telling me when and if I can grill.  I have enough morons  legislating dumb **** and spending my money faster than I ever could.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    ryantt said:
    I've never understood why people would live in a community with a HOA.  if I want to go out back and fire up the damn egg at 2am I'm going to.  I don't need to a group of people telling me when and if I can grill.  I have enough morons  legislating dumb **** and spending my money faster than I ever could.  
    Visit my parents neighborhood were the idiots down the street park 3 trucks in their front yard and have car parts everywhere. There's one reason. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    onedbguru said:
    HOA's should be outlawed.  They were put in place so a bunch of busy bodies could exert their "perfect world" on everyone else.  They serve no useful purpose. Period.  We lived in a subdivision with an HOA. Until just a few years ago, they allowed only one roofing material. Shake Shingle. If one house caught fire, usually two or more did. They finally got some sensible people on the board and realized they could be liable if someone requested a composite material that looked like SS and then their house caught fire because the neighbors house caught fire and they had denied that request. 
    In my experience, the HOA board is for retirees that have nothing better to do and want to continue to live out their middle manager fantasy. They schedule meetings at times that make it exceedingly difficult to attend if you work(I guess 7 or 8pm is past their bedtime). They offer narrow-minded ideas that cater to a subset of the community population- for example: we have a portion of the Conservancy budget that is allotted for "general improvements", separate from the maintenance budget. Typically, the money comes from leftover snow removal monies. A few years ago when we had a very mild winter, we had 30 or so grand in the budget so they brought it up at the next community meeting. They asked for ideas on ways to improve the community and make it more attractive to buyers and such. The "younger crowd" wanted stuff like another playground, dog park, community garden, etc. The Olds wanted crap like shuffle board courts in the pool or to fence off the basketball courts to make them controlled-access(THE HORROR OF SOMEONE WANTING TO PLAY BASKETBALL!!!!!). Instead, we wound up expanding the pool deck and putting in massive sunshades for more seating area.

In the end, I hate my HOA at times but I don't think they should be outlawed. For all the headaches they cause(architecture control committee, design review board) there is also a realized benefit. For 71 bucks/month, I get yard maintenance, snow removal, a clubhouse with a gym and library, tennis courts, basketball court, 2 pools, and maintenance of common grounds and water features/ walking paths. The board also provides an outlet for conflict resolution which has its benefits(I've been on the wrong end of this but the aggreived is batshit).

I suppose if I had a worse time with one I'd feel differently. The nice thing about them is that they're hyper localized forms of government so it's pretty easy to effect change if you really have your druthers.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    HOAs have their place.  Like all things some people choose to abuse their power.  When that happens get involved and fix it.

I'm not on my HOA board, but I know all of them.  They are real reasonable.  They mostly exist to manage the pool, park, and club house.  Our local state gov't handles most ordinance related issues.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868

I received a notice from my HOA ordering me to remove my Egg because it violates a rule they imposed after I bought my LBGE. The new rule is that only propane grills are allowed on decks or patios. My Egg is on a concrete patio in a nest. Before I bought it, I checked with the local fire department. I spoke with the captain and he told me he considers a BGE to be as safe as any propane grill and he joked about inviting himself over for some ribs.

I don't know what to do about this other than to fight it legally. I don't want to go to the expense of hiring an attorney, but I don't think it's right that they came up with a rule after the fact, especially considering the Egg is as safe as a propane grill.

If you have time before your hearing, you might want to invite the HOA board over for dinner cooked on the Egg.  Or even just a majority of the members.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Looks like everything has been covered. So good luck.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is starting methods.  When most people think of a charcoal grill, they think of a kettle type with Kingsford in it.  Most of the time those are lit with about half a bottle of lighter fluid, and flames shooting 3-4 feet above the grill.  In a condo situation that probably scares the crap out of people.

You might want to explain the use of cubes/electric etc to light the egg.  I probably would not demo the use of a weed burner :)