Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate Rust

Options
My cast iron grate has started to rust due to storage in the Egg after use.  How do you recommend getting the rust off and re-seasoned? Furthermore, how do you recommend storing the cast iron grate so it doesn't rust? Thanks to all.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cheid1977 said:
    My cast iron grate has started to rust due to storage in the Egg after use.  How do you recommend getting the rust off and re-seasoned? Furthermore, how do you recommend storing the cast iron grate so it doesn't rust? Thanks to all.
    Just spray it with PAM before you use it again and then wipe the points of contact with your meat with a paper towel and you'll be fine! After 2 or 3 uses you won't even have to do that! After all it's just a CI grate in a hot environment and not a cherished hand me down cast iron skillet. OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I usually give mine a brush and a spray after my cook (either when hot or when I cover the grill).   I'll use whatever I have (Canola spray, PAM, high temp grill spray, etc...)

If I haven't used it in a while I also give it a shot before I start cooking.

Doing that regularly seems to keep it nice and black for years.  Just don't look at the underside of it that I ignore. Yech!  And as RRP said, if yours has already rusted, it'll turn black again once you start brushing/spraying.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    just use it more
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos