Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After my cook tonight I shut everything down and discovered this

Options
I've never noticed as much smoke leaking from around the damper door. It billowed for a good 10 minutes and then gradually faded but not after 20 minutes or so. Caught me by surprise so I thought I'd take a pic and see if anyone else has seen this before.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I noticed this on my last cook on my Mini Max.  Gonna look into getting some sealant and trying to fix it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    It seemed to be leaking from around damper edge but also coming from between the metal doors too.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    As you take the food off your Egg, you open it up and let in a full load of fresh air/oxygen.  You take the food off and close her down.  You now have an Egg full of fresh oxygen and hot coals, there's gonna be a bit more combustion until the O2 is used up, or the coals cool enough, whichever comes first.  Don't worry about the little bit of additional smoke coming out; you're okay.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You know what that means?  The rest of your Egg is pretty tight.  That smoke has to go somewhere, so path of least resistance is out there.   The only issue with having a little bit of an air leak down there is during a low & slow when you're trying to choke down the intake as much as possible. 
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    I agree don't worry egg is tight has to go somewhere 
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You are fine - the leakage is around the loose fitting sliding door and screen. If it really bothers you can always tap the track they are sliding in with a block of wood and a hammer. OTOH your picture also shows a crappy job by someone who ever applied the clear silicone before bolting on the door. Just sayin...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, like I said I've never noticed this before so I wasn't sure if I should be concerned with it.

stlcharcoal... it was also leaking smoke in several places where the dome meets the base as well as from the stack with the ceramic cap. By the way, I have a gasket around the neck too.

RRP... I just might tap on the track and see if that tightens things up a little. The silicon came that way. Noticed it when I bought it brand new from our local dealer. Does the mothership install that or the dealer? At any rate, if I ever decide to try and redo the door/screen assembly and re-seal it, what kind of silicon should I use? Thanks

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used rutland high temp silicone on mine a few weeks after I got it 2 years ago. It works well but still some smoke leakage down below; which I feel is normal. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @GATABITES... Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find that silicon.

• RRP
    Options
    @GATABITES... Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find that silicon.
    Just common clear silicone is fine.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I second what @RRP says.  When I was struggling to get the DigiQ to work, I noticed lots of smoke leaking out between the stainless and the ceramic.  The factory only sealed mine along the top.  Used some clear aquarium ATV to seal the spaces around the opening into the bottom of the egg ... where you pull the ash out.  The silicone has held up well. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Is the whole assembly just held in place with the silicon?

• RRP
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Is the whole assembly just held in place with the silicon?
    No - there are 4 stainless steel nuts and bolts - you need to remove fire ring and box to do the job properly by cleaning off the old and applying the new. OTOH you can try to seal by just squirting around the offending spots. Just depends on what time and effort you want to put in to it.
  • GATABITES
    Options
    This is what I used:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1276007&KPID=961626&kpid=961626&pla=pla_961626

I bought mine from Home depot for less than $9.99. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    Options
    I applied mine around the air intake and used my finger to spread it evenly. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mine does the same. 

Lets start a gofundme site
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @RRP... so you're saying that the bolts go through the ceramic? Didn't realize that.

Thanks @GATABITES, I appreciate the info on the silicon. I have an Ace and HD nearby.

@Chubbs... let's do it brother!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Just took a good log at the silicone job the assembly person used to seal the door ... obviously the work was done on either an early Monday morning or very late Friday afternoon (Just before quitting time?) 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP... so you're saying that the bolts go through the ceramic? Didn't realize that.

Thanks @GATABITES, I appreciate the info on the silicon. I have an Ace and HD nearby.

@Chubbs... let's do it brother!
    That's correct! 4 stainless bolts go in from the front side with nuts inside. 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks @RRP. @SoCalTim... I agree, sloppy work for sure.

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks @RRP. @SoCalTim... I agree, sloppy work for sure.
    Even when I was a kid mowing 15 yards every week since I was 12 years old and then various jobs as a grunt working my way through college in the 60's I took pride in what I did. 

Here is the label I see every time I open our new GE refrigerator. It's not a decal to peel off - it has the model and serial number of the unit. After going through the assembly line I would have thought some yahoo at the end of the line could have/should have had enough pride to put the label on better than this "slap and go" effort! And YES the label reads "Assembled in the USA".

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You should send that picture to someone in quality control, marketing, or management at that plant.   That is unacceptable.  GE  CARES
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Baine
    Baine Posts: 19
    Options
    Your outside slide is different from the ones of my eggs. Mine have rubber on the tabs; the tabs are also all on the close side of the apparatus.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @Blaine... 2 of the 3 tabs have rubber on them. The 2 on the screen do but the door does not. Based on the sloppy silicon job the person probably just didn't put on the third rubber tab.