Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Lamb - Verification

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Eggers,
I just purchased my first rack - of lamb that is. I was thinking of adding a mustard mixture with rosemary, garlic, & salt and then trying a TRex method (500 degrees one minute per side and then closing off the egg at 2-3 minutes per side).[p]Any thoughts on my plans for cooking it?[p]Thanks

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,[p]I've cooked a couple using the recipe on the Dizzy Pig site (see link below.) Basically this is the same technique as TRex'ing a piece of beef - sear at higher temp, remove from Egg while Egg is cooling to 350, then roast for X minutes, preferably indirect. [p]The first time I seared at much too high a temp (over 750) and burned off the bare bones and got too much char on the fat, although the meat was perfect. The second time was much better done at maybe 550 degrees but the fat still charred a bit more than I like it - again, the meat was perfectly done. So my advice is to keep the sear no more than 500 and keep it short. You can also use foil to protect the thin bones. [p]You might also search the archives for more info, although this is not one of the more common cooks discussed here.
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig rack of lamb[/ul]
  • Haggis,[p]Thanks for the tips - I will try at 500 for 3 minutes per side, and then low, slow & indirect for another 7 min / side.[p]Thanks!
  • locolongball
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,[p]Like my prime rib I don't sear frist on direct heat. I start the temp high around 500 indirect heat then bring it down to 350. The higher temp gives a good cust w/ out the burnt look on the outside.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    macnutlamb1.jpg
    <p />FriendlyEgg,
    You probably are done with the rack of lamb by now, huh? Next time, here is another option:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Macadamia Nut Crusted Rack of Lamb[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Everyone,[p]Did the lamb with:
    -mustard
    -garlic
    -rosemary
    -a little Herbs de Provence[p]Cooked at 500 dome 3 min / side
    Closed the egg, added the plate setter[p]Put the lamb back in when it was 350 for 10 minutes
    Let her sit for 10 minutes[p]Results: It was UNBELEIVABLE! For anyone who has not done it, I highly encourage it.[p]Haggis - you were right about wrapping the bones with tin foil (mine were a little burn and fell apart).[p]Try a rack - wow!

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Haggis
    You are right on. The lower temp gives you greater control and excellent results with the end product. I hate to admit it but I am also doing 1 3/4 inch steaks (bone in New York Strip) at about 600 650 with great results.
    billyg