Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My HOA is ordering me to remove my Egg from the property

Options

Comments

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I would get a transcript of the vote (if there was one).  Keep the egg in the garage and grill on the driveway for now.  Then run for president for the next term. Be sure to invite your neighbors over for some pulled pork or brisket durning the campaign!

Once you're president, outlaw gas grill because they are dangerous and only allow charcoal grills.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Love it!!!  The Anti-Egg Beeotch!  She's in her late 50's and probably doesn't like her hoard of cats smelling like hickory!
    Hickory is a bit too strong for cats, maybe try a nice fruitwood, like peach.
  • Class_of_75
    Class_of_75 Posts: 49
    Options

Thanks for all the feedback. Before I go to Defcon 3, I'm going to follow the advice of @tfhanson and go to the next meeting and see what I'm really dealing with. It may be a neighbor who has a problem with the smoke (small problem) or an insurance requirement (big problem). I've spent some time this morning reading the Condominium Declarations which take precedence over the Rules and Regulations. Apparently the Board got out over their skis a little here, since I have the exclusive right to the enjoyment of my patio, which can however be abridged to enforce a local law or ordinance. Since the fire department is OK with my Egg, I think that's dispositive, as the lawyers say.

I'd like to get some evidence about the risks of ceramic cookers vs. propane grills. I would think the Mothership would have this kind of information. Does anyone have an email address for someone in customer service who I can check with for this?

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Here's a link to the National Fire Protection Association -> www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/research/fact-sheets/grillfactsheet.pdf?as=1&iar=1&la=en

in Smyrna GA.

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    LOL @SGH... tell us how you really feel! =) I'm right there with you brother!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    table 4 shows that 80 percent of bbq related residential fires are sourced from gas with 17.5 percent from solid fuels. eggs dont accumulate grease like gassers either, grease fires are horrible with gassers and those are the fires that send people to the emergency room, no mention of that in this report, had an 70 year old neighbor lose the skin from his elbow down to his finger tips when his daughter tried to pull him away from the grill fire, the skin just slid right off, nasty fire
    https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v11i1.pdf

also point out the fire screen on the lower vent and that you could build a fire arrester for the top even though its not needed, all you would need is a stack of expanded metal under the daisy to allow air flow and stop sparks, thats how they do it in camp stoves for use in a tent

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Haha @SGH can caravan ALL his Big Units to your driveway. Invite the entire town, ask the Fire Department to hold a Fire Danger seminar and you can declare the event a Public Service Assembly. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Arm around shoulder of HOA president and say in a hushed voice:

"I understand you have a job to do, but I'm going to ask you nicely one time to rethink your position.  It would really be a shame to have bad things start to happen to the important people in your life."

To strong?  I mean, they are trying to take the man's egg...

Phoenix 
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    table 4 shows that 80 percent of bbq related residential fires are sourced from gas with 17.5 percent from solid fuels. eggs dont accumulate grease like gassers either, grease fires are horrible with gassers and those are the fires that send people to the emergency room, no mention of that in this report, had an 70 year old neighbor lose the skin from his elbow down to his finger tips when his daughter tried to pull him away from the grill fire, the skin just slid right off, nasty fire

also point out the fire screen on the lower vent and that you could build a fire arrester for the top even though its not needed, all you would need is a stack of expanded metal under the daisy to allow air flow and stop sparks, thats how they do it in camp stoves for use in a tent

What are 'Other Power Sources'???

in Smyrna GA.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Check this out. The anti-Egg Beeotch......

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/3352309-210365959
    Not to play devil's advocate, but......
    if what the lady says is true, I can sympathize with her. My Eggs are on my deck, and most times when I'm cooking on them, I too have to close the windows, or the house becomes super smokey. I can deal wth my own smoke, but I imagine none of us would be too pleased to have to close our windows every day or two because of smoke the neighbour is creating......just sayin'
    Canadians are just too damn nice  =)
  • THEBuckeye
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @SmyrnaGA Didn't Hannah Storm (ESPN) get her faced burned in a gasser accident?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Haha @SGH can caravan ALL his Big Units to your driveway. Invite the entire town, ask the Fire Department to hold a Fire Danger seminar and you can declare the event a Public Service Assembly. 
    several years ago i had the fire dept send over the guy that does the tuck and roll seminar for the first graders in school. osha was here at work and i didnt have a documented program for fire safety but the fire dept had its school program with certs and all =) i think snoopy was on the certificates. very educational ;)
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I did as a kid. Not fun to go to junior high with your face wrapped up like a mummy. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Check this out. The anti-Egg Beeotch......

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/3352309-210365959
    Not to play devil's advocate, but......
    if what the lady says is true, I can sympathize with her. My Eggs are on my deck, and most times when I'm cooking on them, I too have to close the windows, or the house becomes super smokey. I can deal wth my own smoke, but I imagine none of us would be too pleased to have to close our windows every day or two because of smoke the neighbour is creating......just sayin'
    Whoever does not like the smell of a grill/BBQ is Un-American.

I'm not American......just sayin'......
    GWN
  • SmyrnaGA
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @THEBuckeye - That was a gas grill as I recall...
    @fishlessman - Table 4 in that report had Gas, Solid, electric, liquid, and 'other'...  I can't figure out what's 'other'?  Solar?  Windmill??  Rubbing my hands together and then touching my food???

in Smyrna GA.

• fishlessman
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    @THEBuckeye - That was a gas grill as I recall...
    @fishlessman - Table 4 in that report had Gas, Solid, electric, liquid, and 'other'...  I can't figure out what's 'other'?  Solar?  Windmill??  Rubbing my hands together and then touching my food???
    cooking with lime juice ...very very dangerous
    fukahwee maine

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nanook said:

@Nanook ... Last I looked Canada was a part of the American continent.  It's not nice to stick your head in the snow.  Cheers!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Class_of_75
    Class_of_75 Posts: 49
    Options
    calracefan Thanks for the contact at BGE.
    @SmyrnaGA: Thanks for the stats and analysis
    @Hokie_Smoker: Thanks for the advice about how to be the grownup here and, if that doesn't work, how to exact retribution.

Littleton, Colorado

LBGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm telling you. ..driveway. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Nanook said:

@Nanook ... Last I looked Canada was a part of the American continent.  It's not nice to stick your head in the snow.  Cheers!

Lol. My bad. I thought it was the North American continent.
    GWN
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    99% likelihood that it is a requirement of the HOA's property insurance carrier, which may not be selected buy the HOA, but rather by the management company if you are not 100% self-managed.  All HOA's will have a board, but many of them will still have an outside mgt company, at least here in CO.

I have placed a lot of policies for HOAs in CO and several carriers do mandate no charcoal grills, while some disallow propane as well.  The carriers tend to have no flexibility on the issue, and if it is a carrier requirement that board won't have any discretion.

Hope it goes your way, but not optimistic for you.  You sound like you have a good perspective on things.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:

What are 'Other Power Sources'???
    lots of ways to light a fire near a grill, battery from fan unit melts a wire or comes in contact with steel wool =) whiskey drink in sun magnifies sunlight and lights papertowel on fire, someone leaves a propane tank in a bucket of gasoline and drops a match, can of starting fluid next to a citrinella candle gets punctured by a bbgun =) you should see what happens if you light a citrenella candle bucket and just drop it in a lake to put it out, it explodes with fire thirty feet high and lights everything on fire, thats the reason they put the tiny little sticker on the bottom of the can telling you not to do that B)
    fukahwee maine

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    @Nanook

That's ok. An Egger is an Egger in any locale. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    And it is Un-American by the way.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Okay.  I apologize in advance for this OT contribution...  but if you're asking the question, 'What's next, flatulence? ', you might not be too far off. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2015/05/how_do_you_stop_your_roommate.html#incart_m-rpt-1

An attempt to inject a little levity...
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Grilling by the numbers
    •  In 2012, 16,900 patients went to emergency rooms because of injuries involving grills.
    • One of every six (16%) home structure fires in which grills were involved in ignition, something that could catch fire was too close to the grill.
    • Overall, leaks or breaks were factors in one of every five reported grill fires.
    • Gas grills contribute to a higher number of home fires overall than their charcoal counterparts.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.