Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to clean my egg mates? And Lg BGE for sale soon..how much?

HeathCave
HeathCave Posts: 69
edited May 2015 in Forum Feedback
Any one else have these egg mates? I want to clean them before I list my Large BGE for sale. I have tried dishwashing soap (I didn't really expect it to work) but no luck. What have you used to clean them?

Also, I am about to be selling it. I am in the North Dallas area (Lewisville). We are selling our house and going full-time RV so I will be buying another smaller egg (probably Mini-Max) because I don't want to lug around 160+lbs of green ceramic. 

Any thoughts on pricing it? It's right at a year old. I would include platesetter, grid, stainless cap, nest, egg mates. 

Pic of egg mate included for a reference of just how dirty it is!
Just chillin' and lovin' the eggin' life! Facebook • My Graphic Design Website

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    damn thats dirty. Try orbital sander
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Aren't those plastic? My guess is you will have a real problem trying to get them to ever look nice again. I have wood on my medium so I know I can refinish those when I need to. I wonder if you get th plastic really clean of grease if some of that paint made for plastic would be durable enough. Just an idea...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    You could try using oven cleaner.  I don't think it would hurt the mates any
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeathCave
    Hmm, @RRP, repainting them might be a good idea! I'll try oven cleaner first, @WeberWho? ..thanks

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Try a pressure washer!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Have you tried gel hand cleaner you can get at AutoZone or the like. GoJo is one brand. Some of it has pumice in there for some grit. Apply with steel wool maybe? Don't know if that would work.

Also, can you flip them over?

How about cutting out new ones from those plastic cutting boards? 

Re traveling with your egg in an RV, please read this about carbon monoxide. Would hate to read about you in the paper... http://www.extension.iastate.edu/pages/communications/co/grill.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I wouldn't think plastic and oven cleaner would get along very well.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    I used simple green on mine and it worked pretty well. Good luck
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • HeathCave
    Simple Green? Sounds simple! Oven Cleaner and plastic may not be good, you're right @Carolina Q 
  • HeathCave
    And thanks for the FYI on the carbon monoxide, @Carolina Q. I will definitely keep the egg away from the camper. I'm pretty sure our RV has carbon monoxide sensors... Double checking now! Thx
  • skellis614
    skellis614 Posts: 75
    Dawn power dissolver works great on mine. 
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @HeathCave   I think those nests are hard plastic, right?  Before you go too crazy with oven cleaners etc., try Acetone.  If you are not familiar, it can be found in the paint dept. of the home improvement stores.  It runs about 6$ for a smaller size tin.  I just tested it on my weber side tables for you, and it worked like a charm.

If you're really in a bind, I'd soda blast it for you (for free) and it would look like new.  You'd probably pay $20 to ship it back and forth to phoenix though.  

Wish I lived a little closer so we could talk about your one year old egg.... anyway - good luck and enjoy the RV.

Phoenix 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I use a citrus based degreaser every spring with a light scrub with one of those little green scrubbies.  Never come back to new, but they will clean up.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • TSP will work (Trisodium Phosphate). also, a little muriatic  acid from a pool store will work as well. Just don't let it touch any of the metal parts.

My egg caught on fire when my table burned down and all the goo just melted away with TSP
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blasting
    edited May 2015
      That Weber side table I just tested the Acetone on came out perfect - It was greased up, and 10 years old - it cleaned up with no effort in about about 10 seconds.  Pic below.  Wish I had taken a before pic...
    Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited May 2015
    Proser said:
    I used simple green on mine and it worked pretty well. Good luck
    and I bought them :) They still look great

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sulfuric acid will do the trick.  Kidding!  Simple green and a mesh pad.  Comet as a last resort.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeathCave
    Thanks @blasting! I think I have some acetone. Gotta go check! 
  • HeathCave
    Bummer, no acetone. Just Mineral Spirits. Off to Home Depot tomorrow!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I use simple green on my weber side tables.  Works great.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeathCave
    Well, right after I posted about not having Acetone, I remembered that fingernail polish is mostly acetone...so off to wifey's stash I went! And it worked! ...for the most part. It's not "new again" but I'd say it's "sellable". So, wifey kind of helped me clean the grill tonight! Who else can say that? LOL I think if I go get some better acetone I can probably get it all clean. It didn't even take much elbow grease. :) Thanks @blasting
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Those look pretty good now, I'll have to give the acetone a try, mine are filthy as well.  I'd pretty much given in to the fact that they look like crap, but maybe there's hope after all!
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I took my old cedar ones and threw them away.  Made news ones out of scraps from my decking.  I'd do trash those.  Get some decking and stain it, or get some TREX.  Cutting boards work great too.
  • blasting
    @HeathCave  - glad to help.  

I'd like to see pics of a travelling MM, as I'm sure others would.  So don't disappear on us.
    Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Oven cleaner will make them look brand new!  Oven cleaner. Oven cleaner. 
  • HeathCave
    Anybody got any thoughts on a for sale price? Selling LBGE, Nest, Platesetter, Eggmates, maybe a couple other small extras. I'm thinking around $750 for all??
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited May 2015
    2HeathCave said:
    Anybody got any thoughts on a for sale price? Selling LBGE, Nest, Platesetter, Eggmates, maybe a couple other small extras. I'm thinking around $750 for all??
    You can always go lower if it doesn't sell for that price.  Always start high with Craigslist. Plus people will offer less than your asking price from the start.  Just know your lowest limit as you will get offers for $500
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    HeathCave said:
    What would that run new in your area?  Maybe list at 2/3 or 3/4 of that price and what kind of response you get.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Tor
    Tor Posts: 9
    I used Mr. Clean erasers and Eggmates look good as new.

Large Big Green Egg

Danville, VA

• KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    I clean my composite egg mates with the mr. clean magic eraser. They were not abrasive and I was pleased with the like new color.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina