Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A restaurant client saw my egg today and insisted on giving me a whole salmon. The wife is picking it up, but now what? Other than grilling gouper fillets, I've never done a whole fish. Client suggests removing head and opening it up, I guess like spatchocked chicken.
Any ideas out there? I don't want to mess it up. I don't know if we could really control the temp for a real smoked salmon. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    BK,[p]If it were a filet, I'd recommend trying the recipe on the Dizzy Pig website (www.dizzypigbbq.com) or something like it if you don't have the rub. A whole fish, and I hope it was gutted and scaled, would be pretty hard to cook (depending on size) but could be fileted or could be sliced into steaks - do a search in the archives for suggestions. Or, if small enough, even poached as a whole fish.
  • Super Glide
    Options
    BK,[p]I just did this last weekend, hot smoked salmon that is.[p]It was AWESOME.[p]First you have to fillet the salmon. A whole salmon will give you 2 nice big fillets.[p]Then you have to cure the fillets for 24 hours in a salt and sugar cure.[p]Then smoke on the egg at 175 grid until it hits 150 internal (gotta love the BBQ Guru). You'll probably need to trim the thin edges of the fillets to fit them on the egg, but you can load up the grid with the fish.[p]Basically I just used Alton Browns recipe but on the egg. It was incredible and it only took about 3 hours total cooking time.[p]Its smoked, but not smoked like Lox. We had it over a vinagrette salad with some couscous. An incredible meal.

[ul][li]Good Eats Smoked Salmon[/ul]
  • Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    Options
    Instead of sugar, I do like to put rhum and maple syrup with the salt...

• Superglide,
    THANK YOU!!!! Did the brine for about 15 hours with salt, brown sugar and Thyme. Cooked at about 220 with alder and a piece of oak. Never watched the time, but it seems close to three hours. This stuff is terrific. Thanks for the help.