Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spanish serrano ham

Options
TN_Sister_State
TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Had some family friends that recently went to Spain and they brought me back a little piece of heaven. Can't wait to try it and thinking of ways to implement some in a smoke. Any suggestions? Straight eating half with some fine cheese and wine for sure.

Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    No idea, I have never heard of it before but it looks fabulous!  I need some friends like that! :
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That stuff is awesome.  You don't want to do anything with it that's going to interfere with the flavor of the ham.  Other than that, you could replace it anywhere you would use proscuitto.

That said, a couple of ideas -

Wrap around melon (cantaloupe).
    Wrap around asparagus
    Pizza
    Stuff into pork loin (or chicken)
    Use in some top shelf ABTs
    etc

But really, eating it straight is generally the way to go.
    NOLA
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

I'll bet it would be great around some pineapple!   @buzd504 now you have me all hungry :) 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Sookie said:

I'll bet it would be great around some pineapple!   @buzd504 now you have me all hungry :) 

Indeed, I believe it would be.
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    I agree with Buzd, don't put that anywhere near the egg, just get a good bottle of Rioja and enjoy!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the post and suggestions. I will simple enjoy without the egg and with cheese and wine. I can always trust the people here for good advice.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• K7MMU
    K7MMU Posts: 2
    Options
    This ham is known for its slightly nutty flavor as the animals eat acorns.  Until recently, this ham was not allowed to be imported to the US due to health regulations regarding how it is cured.  It is a real treat and should be enjoyed with every bite. 
    Large BGE.  Living the good life on beautiful Whidbey Island Washington.