Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rack vs. Flat on the grid

Options
Was considering getting a rib rack to cook ribs vertical(fit more in the egg at one time).  Are there any negatives to cooking the ribs vertically with a rib rack vs. flat on the grid?  I guess basting with BBQ sauce later in the cook would be tougher in the rib rack, but other than that are there negatives or positives to cooking in rib rack?
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nope

If you want to sauce to finish, remove ribs, remove rack, sauce and place ribs flat on grate. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I prefer a rack.  The only time I open the lid when cooking ribs is 1/2 way thru to turn them.  Seems to help with the coloring/visual appeal. I don't sauce until after I remove them FWIW.  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • cul-de-sac-er
    cul-de-sac-er Posts: 218
    Options
    Both methods work well, however the flat method provides better flavor when the rub and basting sauce seep into the meat. The best way I have found is to stack them three high and rotate top to bottom. Hope this helps.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I just seem to always go back to flat on the grate.  Just seems natural to me. But either way works.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Nope

If you want to sauce to finish, remove ribs, remove rack, sauce and place ribs flat on grate. 
    Yeah I think that's what I'll do.  This way most of the fat will collect in drip pan directly under rib rack.  Then will finish flat for 30ish minutes  with sauce.  Doing 3-2-.30 at about 250.  Keep trying different things.  By the time I retire I should have this BBQ stuff all perfected.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Honest - the rib rack was the very first eggcessory I bought. I used it once - that was 15 years ago. It's somewhere in the garage.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I use the rib rack more than the 13 CI grate. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    The only time I use mine is if I'm doing more than 2 racks or to "shorten" up a brisket. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    RRP said:
    Honest - the rib rack was the very first eggcessory I bought. I used it once - that was 15 years ago. It's somewhere in the garage.

Well shoot you could have sent it to me!
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    DoofusOfTheDay Posts: 401
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Looks like it will be more of a 3hour-30 minute-30 minute since the temp got away from me.  I have had dicey results with my IQ-110.  It just seems to let the temp get away from me quite often.  Just can't seem to maintain lower temps.  I do better just messing with upper and lower vents.

Thank goodness for FTC.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well that worked out pretty well.  I guess it was about 3 hours at 250-300, not sure when temp jumped.  Then an hour foiled with parkay, and some brown sugar.  And finally some sweet baby rays BBQ sauce for about 30 minutes to finish.

Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Those look fantastic, great color
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I think this indeed turned out good.  It cooked a little too quickly at higher temp than what I was planning, but seeing that I didn't foil for 2 hours only 1 hour.  Had I foiled 2 hours, I am sure it would have been way overcooked.  Wow, surprised myself in being able to adjust on the fly, seeing as my BBQ experience is pretty limited prior to getting the egg last year.

Here is some reheated for lunch.

Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    If you have any more left, I'd be happy to swing by and take them off your hands.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Perfect looking.......very clean bone and great smoke ring.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • d16lee
    d16lee Posts: 46
    Options
    Nice looking ribs!!!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Those look good. Nice recovery after letting the temps go for a bit. I lost a rack I was doing for mothers day after the temp got away from me while I was doing other things.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.