Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody else experience this with a FireCraft order?

Options
They came highly recommended here and elsewhere on the web.  Ordered 5 bags of Rockwood and there was 'zero' packing material in the boxes, resulting in apparently lots of movement while in transit, and a huge mess upon arrival.  I would have thought it would be packed pretty tightly, considering all the hard pieces of wood in PAPER BAGS!

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I ordered 12 bags and a few came damaged like yours. I like Firecraft but wish they did a better packing job. 
    McKinney, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Generally, if the bags fit tight, no packing, but if there's space they usually put stuff in with it. I'd give them a call, they are reportedly pretty responsive. Worst I've gotten is a lot of dust. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    No packaging in mine, your bag tore but those lump sizes look decent still.
    Seattle, WA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have always had good luck with them. I would call and complain. They have always been very responsive. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sorry for the mess.  Truth be told, if bags get ripped open, that means there are big chunks of charcoal inside.  So, it's a double edge sword......risk the bags ripping in transit, or break it down into smaller pieces.  I have tried to somehow sell it like the "worm in the tequila" (i.e. it's a good thing), but spilling charcoal over the back of someone's car is never good.  We have 40,000 new paper bags being printed and folded next week.....they'll have a larger gusset which should help.  Like the occasional rock, ripped bags are going to happen no matter what we do.  :((
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    No problems with packing, just the occasional backordered stuffed and getting notification of BO after purchase.  My problem is with FedEx delivering to the wrong house leaving it out in the weather. 
    Why does everyone get excited or a little charcoal dust or a ripped bag? If it was a bag of flour I'd get it. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Free shipping = **** packing.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I ordered 2 bags of rock wood and 6 of ozark oak bags were ok but my rub bottles were absolutely covered in charcoal dust. even under the caps but were sealed so none got in the rub
    Was a tad pi$$ed off when I opened it 

It's a good site I'll order again but their qc and packing sucks 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    That was my experience and now fortunately have a local Ace that @NPHuskerFL hooked me up with and no more issues. I think it depends allot on where you live. It does not ride to good to FL. Others have no issues. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Yes

Didn't have a bag ripped like that but I had a 5 bag dusty mess. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Like @ stlcharcoal says, shipping charcoal is a dicey proposition. I have received thousands of bags on shrink wrapped pallets from various suppliers. Some level of damage is a sure thing at some point. Hopefully the shipping co. Wasn't too rough. That is how you get bags basically pulverized to dust. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Never ordered from them but I wouldn't have the bags on my carpet!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    I live within 20 minutes of their location.  I call in my order and then pick it up at their spot. Always been very good for me. 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    llrickman said:
    I ordered 2 bags of rock wood and 6 of ozark oak bags were ok but my rub bottles were absolutely covered in charcoal dust. even under the caps but were sealed so none got in the rub

I had the EXACT same experience - bags of lump just "thrown in" the box, and the other contents (rubs, etc) just set in on top of them randomly.

Opened up the box - bottles of rub were COVERED in charcoal dust.  Bags covered in black sootie dust.  Nice.

I love Firecraft prices, but their packaging SUCKS!  At least put some peanuts,  paper wrap or something in the box to buffer the fragile, breakable lump so it arrives to us in decent shape, eh, guys?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Some things just were not made for internet shopping. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited May 2015
    Options

The Rockwood I got form Firecraft seemed like a softer charcoal then a lot of the other stuff I've used and it didn't transport very well either. It does burn cleaner then most though. If I could buy it local I would keep some on hand.

I Like Wicked Good and Fogo because they are more dense and I can put more pounds of charcoal in my egg which translates into longer cooks. I did a four hour pizza cook this weekend using WG and still had at least half the charcoal left and my egg was 600 degrees+ the whole time. I never cooked pizza with Rockwood but it has a similar burn time as Royal Oak and that same cook would have ate most of the load.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    llrickman said:

I had the EXACT same experience - bags of lump just "thrown in" the box, and the other contents (rubs, etc) just set in on top of them randomly.

Opened up the box - bottles of rub were COVERED in charcoal dust.  Bags covered in black sootie dust.  Nice.

I love Firecraft prices, but their packaging SUCKS!  At least put some peanuts,  paper wrap or something in the box to buffer the fragile, breakable lump so it arrives to us in decent shape, eh, guys?

Not taking sides here, but if you start adding specially sized boxes, packaging materials, etc to the mix, bet you the free shipping will go away. 

Lump is brittle and fragile......doesn't matter how much packaging you add, it's still going to break down and get dusty.  It's the agitation that breaks it down.  So everytime the box moves it's breaking down--just like a bag of Lay's potato chips or a box of corn flakes.

This is not directed at you in any way, but it always blows my mind how much more cereal and chips people go through in a year than charcoal, yet not a single one of them calls Frito Lay, Post, or General Mills to complain about the bottom 1/8th of the bag being fines.   Lump charcoal is no different, but everyone expects it to be 100% intact because briquettes usually are. 

BTW, lump dust in rub is not a bad thing......what do you think is in my secret recipe??  Adam Perry Lang has "charcoal salt" in his cookbook--takes a chunk to a MicroPlane and then mixes it with Kosher salt.

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I only live about 20 miles from Firecraft, and have gotten a couple bags with minor tears. When I go to my dealer or used to go to Walmart for RO, there would always be some bags with minor tears also. Unfortunately, rips do happen. It would be nice if they put your rubs in a ziplock bag or something just in case a rip happened. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA