Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used the last of my guava wood chunks today.

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Egged spare ribs tonight trimmed St L style and rubbed with Heads Country, kosher salt and no ol' yaller mustard for a change. I also used my last two fist size chucks of guava wood from HI. If you or SWMBO likes mild smoke the guava is something to try. I normally use it for poultry, but it works on pork too and lets the rub and meat shine without being overpowered by a heavy smoke. I see you can buy it at Amazon, but I buy mine directly from HI and BTW the guy is an egger! Here's the link.
http://www.hawaiiguava.com/guava-smoking-wood.html
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Very cool.  Savor it.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • RRP
    edited May 2015
    I just ordered another box so all is well! Just glad to have this mild wood on hand when I want to my change up my choice of woods.
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Looks interesting, never seen that type of wood before.  What other woods do you like to use for a mild taste RRP?  I find cherry to be milder than the apple wood I have been using.  
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • RRP
    YYZegger said:
    Looks interesting, never seen that type of wood before.  What other woods do you like to use for a mild taste RRP?  I find cherry to be milder than the apple wood I have been using.  
    I agree apple and cherry are fine - we even like pecan. The guava is probably even more mild than any of these. Key is find what you and your loved ones like - not what the rest of the world says you should like! 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @RRP ... have you used any citrus wood.  I brought back some orange wood from AZ and have used it on chicken.  It produces a very mild smoke and imparts a slightly citric taste ... interesting taste.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    @RRP ... have you used any citrus wood.  I brought back some orange wood from AZ and have used it on chicken.  It produces a very mild smoke and imparts a slightly citric taste ... interesting taste.
    Hmmmm, no I never have. Were these orange wood pieces or chunks and were they commercially sold or tree trimmings from a friend or such? 
  • Jeepster47
    Dead branches trimmed from the landscaping trees in the subdivision where we rent in AZ.  Now that the experiment is over, I need to try to find some commercially.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    @RRP have you used the Kiawe chunks? 
  • RRP
    @RRP have you used the Kiawe chunks? 
    no I have never tried them - have you?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    No sir. I just saw it on the website. Seemed interesting.
  • QingEsq
    Pretty sure kiawe is a kind of mesquite.  And I just double checked on wikipedia.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • RRP
    QingEsq said:
    Pretty sure kiawe is a kind of mesquite.  And I just double checked on wikipedia.
    Yes - here's what the link I posted says about it:

Now you can experience the taste of Hawaiian Kiawe (kee-ah-vey) on your next grilled or smoked meal. Kiawe wood (prosopis pallidia) is a slightly "sweeter" Hawaiian mesquite. This is a different speices than mesquite in the western USA. This variety naturalized in Hawaii over 170 years ago. Kiawe has the flavor of the tropical islands and imparts it on your grilled or smoked meat. Great with steak and chicken. Chunks come in the same size boxes as guava wood. Priced same as guava. When ordering, use the paypal button on the ordering page. For mail orders please clearly indicate "kiawe wood" on orders, otherwise you will be sent guava wood.
    Thank you and Mahalo!
  • QingEsq
    Thanks @RRP.  Good info.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Thanks @RRP !
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Just received my boxes of kiawe and guava. Can't wait to try them out.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • RRP
    Good! Like I said before I have never tried the kiawe, but I like the mild slightly sweet guava. The key word again is mild. I hope you like them!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    RRP said:
    Egged spare ribs tonight trimmed St L style and rubbed with Heads Country, kosher salt and no ol' yaller mustard for a change. I also used my last two fist size chucks of guava wood from HI. If you or SWMBO likes mild smoke the guava is something to try. I normally use it for poultry, but it works on pork too and lets the rub and meat shine without being overpowered by a heavy smoke. I see you can buy it at Amazon, but I buy mine directly from HI and BTW the guy is an egger! Here's the link.
    http://www.hawaiiguava.com/guava-smoking-wood.html
    I can't agree more about letting the pork shine through. Love the head country and also sweet rub o mine. Also very good on ribs. Sounds great. There used to be Ono lump, but I think it is no more. Ono was hawain lump. The rubs also let the pork shine. 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    I bought a bag of orange wood chunks at Academy Sports and really like the mild flavor. I Agree with @Jeepster47  it's great on poultry and pork.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • never tried it but would like to
  • RRP
    never tried it but would like to
    Not sure if you were talking to me or to @Jeepster47, but parting out a box of guava into several chunks for a person to try could be done I suppose, but postage might be a  killer. I wonder for those who like the annual rub exchange then maybe an alternative unusual wood like guava or orange might be an idea. Just sayin...
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    I live in FL - wonder if the citrus growers sell cut trees? Never looked into it.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Jeepster47
    Opps, forgot to get back on this thread. Western Wood sells orange chips and chunks. Check out their website for stores that sell their product.  I bought chips at Meijers and chunks at Cabelas.  Most major chains sell through select stores and not on the internet ... Cabelas seems to be the only exception as they will ship.