Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Chicken

Options
Always wanted to try it, so I did. Got a really good fresh local pasture raised chicken, split it in half. Brined with Dizzy Dust, salt, agave nectar, and a bit of apple cider vinegar and water for 3 hours. On the Egg with pecan smoke at 225 for 2.5 hours, then opened it up to 350 or so for another 25ish minutes. Skin was hit and miss, some crispy, some chewy, but wow, this was right up there with the best chicken I have ever had. Probably try a little more high heat at the end for the skin next time, but incredibly flavorful and juicy! 

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nicely done!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • buttsampler
    buttsampler Posts: 20
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother. Just a friendly tip. Low cooking temp is great for making pulled chicken for sandwiches or stand alone pulled chicken where the skin is discarded. However at low temps (sub 300) the skin is lacking to say the least. If you are wanting to make chicken to eat with good skin, push the temp to 350 or preferably higher. I still do low and slow chicken myself at times. But it's always when I'm going to discard the skin. Again, great looking grub.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Thanks. I'm in it for the meat, not the skin. If I was real concerned about skin, I'd be cooking duck. But this got close, I think with some playing around with high temps at the end, or maybe even cheating with a broiler, I could get some pretty good crispy skin too. The brine and the slow smoke made for a winner winner chicken dinner ;)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Gotta agree with @sgh.  The low and slow chicken is great for pulling but sucks on the skin.  If I L&S a chicken I am using it for tacos or sandwiches.  If I am just eating the chicken I will go 450 indirect and let the temp start increasing the 20 or so min to around 500.  The skin will be like potato chip crispy.  

I didn't say any of this to knock your chicken because it does look good,just trying to help you with the texture of the skin.    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Basscat said:
    I think with some playing around with high temps at the end, or maybe even cheating with a broiler, I could get some pretty good crispy skin too. 
    No question of it. Simply cook your bird low and slow until you are within 15 degrees of your desired internal temp and them ramp up to 400 to finish. The skin will crisp right up. I have never tried the broiler myself but I have no doubt that it would work also.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Believe me, Mattman, I've had chicken every which way, had my Egg for nearly a dozen years. But I've not tried a true 225 L & S before, so I did. Always playin' with it, that's why the Egg is so much fun.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like a winner to me brother. Just a friendly tip. Low cooking temp is great for making pulled chicken for sandwiches or stand alone pulled chicken where the skin is discarded. However at low temps (sub 300) the skin is lacking to say the least. If you are wanting to make chicken to eat with good skin, push the temp to 350 or preferably higher. I still do low and slow chicken myself at times. But it's always when I'm going to discard the skin. Again, great looking grub.  
    I could never throw away the skin, just skin the bird, make your pulled chicken, then roast the skin in the oven till it's crispy and enjoy like pork rinds.

Muy Bueno
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.