Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib the way I like it!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
This was a 2 pounder that I egged last night after hot tubbing for an hour. The IT was already 111 when it went on the egg. I then split it to a more appropriate his & hers size. Here her's is flipped to show the exterior doneness. I also made yet another version of my au jus and it was the best version yet! It was good eating here last night!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options
    Would love more details on your jus technique 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks great Ron!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm sitting here starving and you post something like that. You are killing me Ron!! It looks outstanding to say the least. Awesome job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Man that looks perfect..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RRP
    Options
    Would love more details on your jus technique 
    I'm tied up right now, but I'll post it within the hour...promise! 
  • RRP
    Options
    @bclarksicle - Recipe as promised!

RRP's Au Jus Recipe - 5-23-15 Version

This began as a basic recipe off internet which I tweaked MULTIPLE times so it's mine!

1  14 oz Swanson Beef Broth (box – not the can)

1  10-1/2 ounce can of Campbell's French Onion soup

½  of the soup can cold water

1 T Worcestershire sauce

1   teaspoon of garlic salt

1   teaspoon ground garlic powder

1   Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cube

1 T Better Than Bouillon

1   teaspoon soy sauce

Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then
    simmer with lid on for 30 minutes. Strain and discard onions.  Serve au jus dipping sauce hot. Can be made 2 days ahead.  Makes 3 cups.  BTW I also make a batch of this and then pour it in large ice cube trays. One melted cube make a wonderful Bloody Bull!

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    That looks amazing. I have a 6lb one in the freezer that needs to be cooked. Can I ask what temp you did on the sous vide?
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • RRP
    Options
    That looks amazing. I have a 6lb one in the freezer that needs to be cooked. Can I ask what temp you did on the sous vide?
    It was just hot water out of the tap and was 134º before the room temperature meat was submerged for an hour into my small lidded "personal" cooler. For a 6 pounder I'd recommend maybe 90 minutes and change pot the water half way through. BTW as I said my meat had an IT of 111º when it came out and I rubbed it with Penzeys Old English Prime Rib rub.  I normally use my own PR rub but thought I'd try something different. It was OK but as a rub it's no ankle grabber!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    And no forks too! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hunter1881
    Options
    Thanks. I don't have a sous vide but I do have hot water and a yeti 45. Was going to redneck it a little. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Pretty work!!
    GWN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking prime rib!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks. I don't have a sous vide but I do have hot water and a yeti 45. Was going to redneck it a little. 
    That will work!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ron! I just totally ate my screen!  Nice work :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks for all the nice compliments!!!
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Looks delicious.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    One more question for you RRP. Can you see a reason not to use a Montreal steak seasoning for a prime rib?
  • RRP
    Options
    One more question for you RRP. Can you see a reason not to use a Montreal steak seasoning for a prime rib?
    Sounds good to me! Use what EVER you like! I always think of PR the way I fix them for my wife and I as a two sided steak. IOW a 2 pounder gets rubbed and salted the way we like and then when split in half to reveal the tasty rare or at least medium rare inside then it becomes a slab of prime rib to be further enhanced with au jus and a sour cream/horseradish concoction. Underneath though is that tasty crusty side! GO FOR IT!!!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I hope you also enjoyed a nice healthy dose of horseradish!  Love both with my rib!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Thanks again. I love prime rib. But have never cooked one. Guess I need to thaw out and go for it. If it tastes half as good as yours looks it will be great.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Ron, that is a home run - truly spectacular.  

Bookmarked for the sauce recipe - thanks.

Phoenix