Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MDSH is doing something new.......

GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
MDSH is at it again.  We were floating in the hot tub the other day and he says to me "you haven't egg in a while and I think WE should cook something".  In nearly a half a century of marriage he has cooked/egged 2 turkeys.  Now it's a "we" need to cook.  I told him to go for it what ever he wants to cook.  Two days later he comes home from getting pool supplies and says "we need to cook a brisket!"   I told him that I didn't know how to cook one or where to buy it.  No problem - he knew the where and how.  All of a sudden he is now an expert.   Now he starts talking to more people about a brisket cook and realized very fast that everyone has their own ideas of how the brisket should be done.  Fat up or down.  Foiled or not.  225 or 325.  Injected or not.  How to season.  So he is going to do his own thing and I'm not sure what that is but then again  I don't think he does either.  He (we) prepped it this morning and will cook tomorrow.  Should be a fun day.......and some good laughs.

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Can't wait to see the final picture 
    McKinney, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Helluva brisket 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You are about find out if he has been holding out on you for the past 1/2 century. Between the two of you, sure it will work out fine. Looks like it might be more than breakfast to dinner cook by the size of that thing. Good Luck!
    (and you will need the grands to help eat it!)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That looks like a monster brisket. How much did it weigh?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have never seen a brisket with that much fat cap on it. Wowza.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    That's A Big Brisket.  Good luck, looks like it needs a little trimming.  Can't wait to see the final results. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Holy hell!   He brought home half a cow! 

I love this post, can't wait to see where it goes. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    You are in for a real eggsperience on the BGE.  Given the size, you may have to toss it over a brick or inverted rib rack to fit.  Just make sure none of it is exposed to direct heat.
    There are more brisket thread suggestions than you need but here is a great primer video:

BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket - YouTube and the related links will get you home.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrannyX4
    @lousubcap  MDSH watched the videos, thank you.  We have the rib rack out and ready for our 5am wake up.

The brisket is a 13 lb prime packer.  I have never seen a whole packer before so I don't know if this sucker has a lot of fat on it or not.

Grands are coming tomorrow and I have a freezer full of shrimp if this bad boy doesn't turn out.  I'm making a pitcher of margaritas and planing on a good day and some giggles.

• lousubcap
    Given your above pics of that hunk of beef I would look at how to trim the brisket as it looks like a whole lot of fat.  At 13 lbs you still may have to accordion it or brick it to initially fit w/o any to the direct heat source.  
    Tip-slice a small piece off the flat perpendicular to the run of the flat grain before you toss it on the BGE.  That way you know how to slice once you decide to slice and consume the meteorite.
    I love brisket cooks (not from Texas) as they are about the most fun going-get the-set-up right and pay attention to the "probes like buttah" feel and you are home free.  BTW since I'm on a roll- slice and eat the point-don't go down the burnt ends road.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Sorry to fire again but the synapses are slowing down-go with fat cap down to help with heat protection for the cook.  And it really is about the feel-given a prime packer I would start checking the thickest part of the flat (ignore the point as the heavy fat content will protect it for the duration) at around 185 *F but go until it probes like "buttah" .  And that could be in the 180's or the low 200's-just make sure your thermos (whatever you use are calibrated).  I truly enjoy a brisket cook-the most fun you can have with the BGE :peace: 
  • GrannyX4
    @lousubcap thanks for all the pointers.  They truly are very helpful.  :relaxed: 
  • GrannyX4
    A 5am thing of beauty!  
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    more. More. More!

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • johnkitchens
    That is going to be a great cook. Your family will thank you both. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I love the look of brisket in the morning! Enjoy the ride. 
  • GrannyX4
    Wow!  It turned out better than we thought.  Great day and lots of giggles.....
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Awesome. I love that pic with all the "kids"
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Very nice brisket.  The grand kids look like mine when I cook on the egg.  Always excited about the cook.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Maybe he's been sandbaggin' ya for all these years?
    Flint, Michigan
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Nicely done!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Great pictures and nice cook.  All around winner.  Love the picture of the family. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Fun post..Great looking Brisky..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    Congrats on a most eggcellent cook. Awesome cook right out of the gate. Now you have been captured by the brisket vortex.  Your Q life is forever changed.  
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Nicely Done!!! Now cook one once a month or so and watch the tradition grow.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GrannyX4
    @lousupcap  You are so right.  MDSH is still strutting himself.  Of all the advice we got the one most important piece was cooking the flat to temp.  The point stalled at 190 but the flat was 196 and it all probed like butter. I never knew what that meant until both the husband and I stood there and probed the brisket.  We felt the butter - love!!!  Thanks again. :relaxed: 
  • johnkitchens
    I am so glad it turned out great. You have a very nice looking family. You should post more often! 

• GrannyX4
    I am so glad it turned out great. You have a very nice looking family. You should post more often! 

Thank you!!!  Of course I think they are pretty special.  As far as posting goes this is the first time MDSH wanted pictures.  Hmmmmmm, a lot of firsts in this post.... :relaxed: 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    That looks like a monster brisket. How much did it weigh?
    That thing is huge!   Nothing like jumping in the deepen to start!

In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Home run!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.