Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Brisket Cook

Options
CP92
CP92 Posts: 321
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Well, I've had my BGE for about a year and a half now, and I'm finally ready to break my brisket cherry. Many moons ago, I book marked a post by @bicktrav when he did an APL recipe. My DIL has been after me to cook a brisket for a few months and with the SIL's birthday tomorrow I figured it was time to try my had at the grail. I'm about have lunch, then start the process. I'll throw up photos as I go along. 
This is my canvas; just shy of 14lbs untrimmed. 

Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Good luck, have some fun.
  • CP92
    Options
    Lunch over, firebox cleaned out and loaded to the top of the fire ring, thermos calibratted, and got the canvas trimmed and the first coat on. Shooting to be completely done by noon tomorrow. Shooting for 225-250 and estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 hours. Gonna start the fire around 4 and looked to get it on somewhere between 6 and 8. Any last minute thoughts/advice/suggestions?

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Looks good-you may want to give the Aaron Franklin you tube brisket videos a look when it comes to slicing.  (here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU   BTW-I notch the flat perpendicular to the grain before starting the cook.  That way, I know how to slice once the meteorite is finished.  Don't slice til ready to eat as it will dry-out before your eyes.  Enjoy the cook (best part) and eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    So does brisket have to consumed right away?  You can't save some for later? 
    Atlanta GA. 
  • CP92
    Options
    Thanks for the video. I bookmarked it once before, and plannned on watching it again between show time, but I'm glad you reminded me. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Looking good. Good luck
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    NoobZero said:
    While it is best fresh, sure you can save it if you so chose. Depending on how much later that you are talking about determines what steps you need to take to maintain its integrity. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    We typically slice any leftover flat and pull any leftover point and keep it in ziplocks. When NoobZero said:
    it is time to reheat we put a moist paper towel in the ziplock and reheat a little slowly so you basically steam it up to temp.  It's good alone, on a sandwich, as a pizza topping, or on nachos. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CP92
    Options
    I've also heard it's great for chili. Which is what I'll probably do with the leftovers, if the DIL doesn't wipe me out. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And we're off to the races. Let her settle in for about two hours running steady at about 245. Put the canvas on after a second coat of oil, per the recipe. Grid temp already back to 225 after only about 10 minutes dome temp running at about the same. I've never used a maveric before (buddy let me borrow his). Is this expected at the start? I was under the impression I should see a difference in dome vs grid temp.

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    After two hours they will be fairly close. Keep on rockin!
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    @CP92 glad to see this thread!  Looks like you're doing great!  I've not experienced big differences between dome and grid temp on my maverick.  The difference only exists briefly when you're heating the ceramic.  Once you've had the egg going for a while they even out.  Since you had the egg running and stabilized for some time, the dome temp had a chance to come to parity with the grid temp, and it should remain that way for the whole cook.  Anyway, keep us updated.  Looks like things are going well!

As to the whole leftovers question, once you slice brisket--point or flat--it oxidizes almost instantly.  The meat toughens up and develops a shiny silver hue, and there's really not much you can do to stop it.  Leftovers can be done, but they're a far cry from brisket straight out of the egg or smoker.  If you're planning on doing leftovers, I'd advise keeping a hunk unsliced.  Reheat the whole thing in the oven at 200 or so, then slice just before eating.  Still won't be as good as the first night, but definitely better than eating the stuff pre-sliced.  

And yes, the advice to watch Franklin's tutorial on slicing is definitely worthwhile.  You can downgrade a brisket if you don't slice it properly.  Franklin does a good job showing you how to get it done right.  
    Southern California
  • CP92
    Options
    Thanks for the post @bicktrav and the info on the temp variations. So it's about 7:30AM 13.5 or so hours into the cook. Internal meat temp is 198 and the meat is uber tender throughout. Cook temps ranged from about 215 - 250 most of the night with one spike to about 265. I'm thinking I need to start considering pulling and wrapping since I'm so far from serving time. Any thoughts?

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you got the "feels like buttah" with it in the thickest part of the flat you are there.  Pull it and if you have to hold for more than around an hour, let it sit for around 15 mins before FTC.  That will stop the carry-over cook. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CP92
    Options
    Thanks Lou. I just pulled it. And unknowingly when ahead and FTC'ed it. It's gonna need to sit a few more hours until dinner. I'll check the temp when it's time to serve. I've seen other sites suggesting that you can put it back on the Egg for a half an hour or so. Recommended or not? APLs recipe called for putting a BBQ sauce on it, then back on for 30 mins at 300.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Totally depends on what you want your final product to be. If it's is ftc with minimal room in the cooler around it you will be more then fine to take it out and slice it for lunch. Typically briskets retain heat very well in a well prepped cooler.

I normally serve sauce on the side of all my recipes except for sticky wings, but that's just my preference. Do the sauce thing however you would like.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you haven't put it in the cooler yet, preheat the cooler with hot water to help retain the heat for a longer period of time.  Dump the water, then stuff with towels and your brisket.

if you have it in the cooler already, sit back and enjoy your morning...hardest part will be the wait before slicing it for lunch.  

Looks great btw.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Can't wait to see the finished product... sliced pics or it didn't happen! =)

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• CP92
    Options
    Yep, I'm of the mindset it is what it is at this point. If it's a fail, there's a box of Bubba burgers and some dogs as a back up. Great thing about my SIL/DIL is they are low stress types. A sincere thanks to everyone for all the advice, comments, and suggestions the last several hours. It is very much appreciated. 

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You are lookin at some great eats.  Just slice against the grain (take one more look at the Franklin video) and I'm in the eat the point; not do burnt ends but that's your call.
  • bicktrav
    Options
    What time are you planning on eating?
    Southern California
  • CP92
    Options
    2ish? 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • bicktrav
    Options
    That's 2 eastern time, right? If so, you'll be totally fine. Are you planning on saucing and throwing it back on for 30 mins?
    Southern California
  • CP92
    Options
    Yes, eastern. I'm leaning that way @bicktrav You think that's the way to go? I have PLENTY of lump left, but that's another story. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • bicktrav
    Options
    I would do it. Glazing some sauce on will add flavor and tighten up the bark, which can get a little soggy when you FTC. Did you make APL's sauce or are you using something else?
    Southern California
  • CP92
    Options
    Blues Hog!  Will probably dillute it like in the recipe. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • bicktrav
    Options
    Awesome! Looking forward to pics!
    Southern California
  • CP92
    Options
    Fellas...I'm sold. I've only had brisket a few times before, always at BBQ joints, but I never saw what the fuss was all about. This thing was ridiculously good. The flat was a little dry, but from what I gather that's sort of to be expected. But the point. Oh sweet baby Jesus in heaven above...Everyone loved it. The fat was rendered perfectly. I ended up putting some diluated Blue's Hog on it and back on the Egg for a half hour. Thanks again for all the support.

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • bicktrav
    Options
    YES!!!  Looks like you nailed it!  The flat is never going to be as good as the point.  The point is the reason people love brisket.  Congrats on the cook!  Hopefully it's the first of many!
    Southern California
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks beauty, congrats!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE