Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teres Major

WC1
WC1 Posts: 42
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Anyone else cooked teres major? Interesting piece of meat. Essentially the tenderloin of the shoulder. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Yes sir, I have. I'm a huge advocate of clod. Sometimes I will remove the Teres Major and Minor and cook them separate. But mostly I cook them whole. Good looking grub. Enjoy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Looks good to me, but I had never heard of it before.  Would that be like the money muscle in a boston butt?
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • SGH
    QingEsq said:
    Looks good to me, but I had never heard of it before
    You probably have just heard it called by its commodity name- Petite Tender. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @WC1- Here is a whole unseperated beef shoulder or "clod" if you will. All 3 heads are represented here. You can plainly see the Teres Major flanking the Infraspinatus on this 33 pound monster. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

Status- Standing by.

• WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    Nice! Thanks @SGH for sharing. I have read your posts on clod but have never seen one before. I am a big fan. Flavorful and reasonable. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I ground some last week in my burger mix.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Also known as shoulder Tenders or petite tender. I cook them all the time and it is one of my favorite cooks.

Our restaurant depot doesn't carry them regularly, but the manager told me he can order them when I want them.  I asked for pricing info.

Our local Stauffers market carries them and they are usually priced around $8.99/pound.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA